Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • hello- whats the conditions in exmoor / quantocks like please?
  • snowpaul
    Free Member

As above – got a 'family thing 'there this weekend / next week and was wondering if I will get any riding in? Should I bring my snowboard and go hiking or are the roads ridiculous and best leave going down there…

cheers all

paul

snaps
    Free Member

See this post http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/exmoor-conditions, I've just done a night ride & it's -2.5 & falling.
    Also most of the unclassified roads have compressed frozen snow on them.

sharki
    Free Member

Poor access to the car parks of the Quantocks, compact snow and steepness will hamper any attempt, i parked in the layby at holford after failing to get to the bowling green carpark.

Conditions are well…

If it clears by the weekend expect very very wet trails.

erm i'll tag the locations on the photos as hey aren't too familiar….

trail side to higher hare knapp

at the bottom of frog combe

looking back down holfod combe from the old car park.

hodders

somerton

Dibbs
    Free Member

What's this job at the Point then?

sharki
    Free Member

any of the thousand odd that will be coming up over the next year or so…unless you need a tea boy now…promise not to whistle ballroom blitz all the time..

Dibbs
    Free Member

..promise not to whistle ballroom blitz all the time..

Not a risk I'm prepared to take 😀

jonb
    Free Member

Looks nice.

Do you know if they've finished building the dairy or juice factory yet?

sharki
    Free Member

Hi Jon, yes i do believe it's up and running..well it was until all the pipe work froze and leaked…

krag
    Free Member

This was Lydiard Hill car park yesterday, would imagine it's a bit easier to get to now as we met a snow plough on the way back down 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

ah so you are alive! 😀

dropoff

Just got back from Porlock. Toll road is shut, so is porlock hill both due to ice/frozen snow. There's about 6" of snow on the tops and ice where ever it's been walked on.

sharki
    Free Member

In places it is ridable..but on the main heathland it's a mission to progress.

oldfart

you want to get some gears make it a bit easier !

sharki
    Free Member

If i wanted easy, i'd have gears on my bike…

I like it hard, that's why i'm going on the valentines swinley ride…;)

oldfart

oooh young man ! don't forget expectation is the bastard son of disappointment !!!!!

sharki
    Free Member

There's no disappointment so long as i have my faithful hand at hand.

oldfart

funny you don't strike me as a wonker !!!! 😀

sharki
    Free Member

Until i find a woman worthy, i'll settle for the best.

oldfart

that could take a while !!!!

sharki
    Free Member

I'm flattered OF.

thanks !

Rex
    Free Member

sharki's shanking aside, those are great photo's. The tox look stunning.

sharki
    Free Member

The Tox are always stunning.

Yesterday i was the only one on the heathland and from lack of footprints anywhere further than half a mile form a main road.

Today, it was evident that a bigger effort was made by walkers and there was footprints heading up through hodders combe all the way the junction of lady's/slaughter house/somerton….saw one walker coming down lady's and a couple up top when i looked back from near beacon hill.

In fact sod this…i'll right up a full two day report of my Quantocks journeys and bore everyone with a pictures i took along the way.

saladdodger
    Free Member

In fact sod this…i'll right up a full two day report of my Quantocks journeys and bore everyone with a pictures i took along the way

Bout bloody time I say

dad x

sharki
    Free Member

42 damn minutes of my life trying to get all clever and linguistically for you SD, then it went all poetic, i got bored and rushed the last bit as i wanted to finish it before you all went to bed, plus my lecky blanket needs to go on..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I'm thinking…. snowshoes

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘hello- whats the conditions in exmoor / quantocks like please?’ is closed to new replies.