Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hello and pedal help
  • canibearaindogtoo
    Free Member

Now then chaps, i’m new here so thought i’d say hello before diving in, although I must admit to a couple of cheeky replies yesterday without properly introducing myself. Sorry, Hello.

My question is this. My (previously bombproof) time aliums developed play in the spindle, i’ve stripped them and can’t for the life of me find out why. Is it ok to shim them up with a couple of washers or will I run the risk of losing my leg fom the knee down? Worth repairing or sell for scrap? That’s two questions, will it ever end?

Cheers

cynic-al
    Free Member

How do you know a shim will remove the play if you don’t know where the play is?

khani
    Free Member

Sounds like you need new bearings, get the numbers off the shield on the existing bearings and order the same, dead easy to change em,

canibearaindogtoo
    Free Member

Good question from my unclear post! The play is along the spindle, the bearing looks like it needs to be pushed down further but the design of the spindle won’t allow it. What I meant when I said I don’t know is that there’s no room for adjustment/piece missing so I don’t understand how the problem came about. The washers eould just take up the slack. Have I explained myself better! It’s pretty hard this internet lark…

soma_rich
    Free Member

I have serviced Aliums a few times, once the tiny bearing on the end of the axle is worn its needs replacing. It might still be stuck inside the pedal body so have a look. But new bearings and they will be as good as new. Pack with grease and they will last another 12/18 months 🙂

canibearaindogtoo
    Free Member

Cheers rich, but this is the part I don’t understand, it’s suddenly like the spindle is too long for the pedal, there’s a lip on the spindle that prevents it being tightened down. The play is akin to the action of a telescope (if that makes any sense) rather than the general wobblyness i’d associate with knackered bearings. However, maybe Ishould just try the new bearing!! Cheers all.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hello and pedal help’ is closed to new replies.