Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hell of the West – anyone do it?
  • aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

if so, how was it? annoyed that I missed it, as the weather was awsome!

chrisrhayes

Weather was heaven.

Course was Hellish. I managed to get around the GOLD course, and finished in sometime over 7 hours, (with about 15mins stops for punctures etc).

I used a Cross Check. And it was good to see the other Surly crew there to augment mine. Most bikes were MTBs though.

Not sure which was better, I went passed loads of MTBs on the climbs and the road, with them catching up on the rocky sections, of which there was miles. 34×32 low gear really really helped. Haytor climb was EXTREMELY hard, near the end too.

Overall really hard on your body, but the sun was out, and Dartmoor is beautiful if you can look up long enough to drink it in.

Chris

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

well done mate, sounds like a good effort!
    Do you know if there’s a linky for the route? I’d be interested to see where it took you.

Ad

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    acjim
    Free Member

I rode it too – 6:45 with 2 punctures and a corresponding sandwich break. The extra section from Princetown was murder!

feeling it in my shoulders and neck today, yowch.

My route on strava

I’d like to do it in under 6 hrs next year. Fastest was under 5!

DeMoose
    Free Member

I did the gold route on my Cannondale cross bike. Took me 7 hours including 1 puncture and 1 bit of getting slightly lost. My body hates me today. Great event and it was “hell” in places. Scenery was stunning though.

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

nice, sounds like something not to be taken lightly then….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hell of the West – anyone do it?’ is closed to new replies.