Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Helitape – who is good at the moment?
  • letmetalktomark

The current stuff I have is very thick which in some respects is perfect for protection but looks a bit …. well …. pants. It’s also not very flexible.

I also have some “free from the LBS” sheets but they yellow after a while – only an issue on a white bike I know but one of the bikes I need to do is white 🙂

I had some that came in a cardboard tube a few years ago but forget where that came from.

Soooo without going for a specific frame kit, that isn’t make for the bikes I need to protect, who is good?

nathb
    Free Member

3m

bowglie

I’ve used Just Riding Alongs copter tape (some was supplied in cardboard tubes) and found it about the best of those I’ve tried – it’s a bit thicker than some brands, but with a bit of heat it’s quite malleable, and has the advantage that the edges stay stuck down.

Seem to remember some from another shop (Biketart?) that was pretty good too.

jonnyrockymountain

Paragon tapes from ebay

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Just had my new Sherpa ‘Invisiframed’ by the guys at http://www.twowheelscycles.com/ and very pleased with the result.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I’ve never seen helitape before, so interested to know whether the recommendations here are some sort of sticky-back polyurethane sheet, or something that is applied with water, like car-wraps ?

northerntom
    Free Member

After having my bike invsiframed, i’ve noticed there is a big difference between this and helitape.

Invsiframe looks almost see through. Helitape no where near as much, loads of tiny air bubbles under the surface, that I can’t seem to get rid of.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Invisiframe kits are great, fit well and you can hardly notice they are there if you’re patient when applying it.

JRA copter tape is a little thicker and is the best of the standard tape, it is slightly thicker so great on downtube and chainstays.

prezet
    Free Member

Invisiframe every time.

funkweasel
    Free Member

Invisiframe x100

mindmap3
    Free Member

Another vote for Invisiframe.

My last four frames have had it (the last two needed some DIY fudging because they don’t do a kit for Ti Stanton frames).

It looks way better than a DIT job, isn’t too thick yet seems to last well and doesn’t turn yellow.

faustus

Clean the frame well and use a hair dryer to warm the tape, has worked a treat for me whatever brand I use.

hairylegs
    Free Member

Clean the frame well

…and clean somemore! Use meths as a last clean and go and have a cuppa.

Use paper templates to get a good fit.

Take your time and be patient!

hair dryer

…all the time!!

prezet
    Free Member

I use a hair dryer to remove Invisframe (and helitape), but use soapy water to apply – makes it easy to get the perfect position before squeezing out the water and letting it stick.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Helitape – who is good at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.