Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Helicopter tape- finding leggit 3M stuff
  • ads-b
    Free Member

Want to put some protective tape on my shiny new YT Capra. There are lots of ebay sellers but am dubious if any of its leggit. Anyone got any recommendations (ebay or otherise)?

Ta

allthepies
    Free Member

I used the stuff from Biketart, no idea if it’s 3M (doubt it) but works well.

https://www.biketart.com/accessories-c5/bike-protection-c13/biketape-c124/biketape-invisible-bike-frame-protection-p5

matthew_h
    Free Member
    frogstomp
    ads-b
    Free Member

That Vking shop looks spot on. Next question- what width do i need?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Invisiframe use proper 3M stuff. Not cheap, but their profiled / cut shapes are nicer than doing it yourself.

hopkinsgm

…Invisiframe use proper 3M stuff…

…if you want glossy tape. If you want matte/satin tape, it’s another supplier (XPEL) as 3M discontinued the matte/satin stuff. Seems like pretty good stuff tho, and definitely +1 for ease of application of an Invisiframe kit rather than messing around cutting bits of tape yourself. As you say, not cheap but saved me a couple of additional hours chopping up bits of tape

steelfan
    Free Member

I use Gorilla tape. Just over a fiver on Amazon for 8.2m roll
    gorilla tape

canopy
    Free Member

just looked into all this a couple weeks ago.

viking is the proper stuff.. works out about 40 odd quid a roll IIRC?

everyone else, bar invisiframe who are doing more work cutting is basically reselling the 3m stuff at a markup, or selling knock off stuff.

as i was doing my anodised frame i got matt “rhino tape” which has been holding up really nicely after the 3 rides / post ride washes i’ve put it through. took a couple hours, and be very careful if using a proper heat gun like i was.

super happy, and will definitely be ‘wrapping’ any future bikes i own/build straight away.

johnnystorm

The clear gorilla tape I bought had crinkly edges so it could be torn off which just collects dirt, it also puts a line in the glue at the point where you stop pulling it off the roll. Fine until you get something better.

ads-b
    Free Member

Im not going to go mad putting protective tape everywhere. Just the down tube for rock chips and the seat/chain stays for heal rub. To be honest I am not sure where else i would put it anyway. So buying a roll and cutting it shouldnt take too long. Got the stuff from Viking and will see how it goes. Actually works out quite cheap per m. But i did end up paying more as minimum order is 3m which is way more than i need. At least I have some for another bike now.

ads-b
    Free Member

Just looking at that invisiframe stuff. Youve got to pretty worried about scratching your frame. It seems to cover every square inch! Id imagine people doing that still have the protective wrapping on their mobile phones and sofas covered in plastic like in the 80s

mindmap3
    Free Member

The stuff on bike doesn’t cover that much – top and down tube, stays and headtube. The stays are good because I do seem to catch my heels on them and the headtube bit is only where I’d slap some tape on to protect from cable rub, just done more neatly than me with a strip of copter tape and a pair of scissors.

It does seem pretty tough though – the kit on my Rune was looking a tad rough when I sold it but the frame still looked good underneath after a few years.

Yes some of the kits cover a fair bit of the frame but it is somewhat ironic that you make the connection with screen protectors etc having just taped your own bike!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Helicopter tape- finding leggit 3M stuff’ is closed to new replies.