Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • helicopter tape
  • iamroughrider
    Free Member

Looking to protect some areas of a retro Marin mtb. Mainly want to protect the frame stickers from scratches – the paint is zelotone and is a matt finish.

If I applied the tape, and then remove it at a later date is it likely to pull the frame stickers off at the same time? The stickers are a little delicate and seem to be bonded on well but as I found out can slide off if pressure is applied to them!! They probably have some UV brittleness too.

So is the helicopter tapes glue likely to affect my stickers?

How long does helicopter tape likely to stay on the frame? Does it ever need replacing? or is it a once on , stay on affair?

Also would the tape look rubbish on a matt frame?

Thanks in adance

andyl
    Free Member

I’ll answer in sections:

Stickers – If on top (not lacquered over) then yes it is highly possible you will pull them off. You would be best cutting the tape around them if the area to protect is not where the sticker is. Maybe cut a bit of tape the same as the stickers jut to protect it. But do not overlap helitape as it looks poo. Same goes for overlapping stickers on the frame, dirt will get in the transition.

Removal – use a hair drier to soften and it will come off easy. Then a quick wipe with IPA to remove any residual glue.

Matte – you can get matte tape. Not quite as good as the 3M stuff but okay.

Decent tape will also be UV resistant so would protect non-uv stable stickers.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘helicopter tape’ is closed to new replies.