Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Helicopter crash in Vauxhall?
  • aP
    Free Member

Seems like a lot of activity as stuck on train into Waterloo. Anyone know anything?

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Being reported on the Beeb but not much yet. Albert embankment maybe

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

The emergency services are responding to reports of a helicopter crash in south London.

The London Fire Brigade said it had received multiple calls of a helicopter hitting a crane in Vauxhall.

Ex-BBC producer Paul Ferguson said the helicopter “plummeted straight into the ground”. People have reported seeing a pall of smoke in the area.

Police said they first received calls at 08:00 GMT and the London Ambulance Service said it was also at the scene.

Transport for London has confirmed there has been an incident.

Mr Ferguson added: “The building the helicopter hit is shrouded in mist.”

He said the crane at the top of the building was now hanging down the side of the building.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Helicopter hit a crane on a constructtion site in vauxhall has crashed resulting in a fire. No other info.

Hit St Georges Tower apparently bbc saying.

Gotama
    Free Member

Looking at sky news pics it resulted in a fairly big fire in the middle of the street at vauxhall. You could be stuck on your train for a while if everything starts backing up.

alfabus
    Free Member

Guardian says that Vauxhall mainline station is shut – trains still going through but not picking up or dropping off passengers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/16/helicopter-crash-in-vauxhall-live-updates

Dave

hora
    Free Member

Air Ambulance or Police? Anyways not good 🙁

Just opened the Guardians link. Why the videos etc? Seriously.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Apparently all trains into Waterloo are also suspended.

wisepranker
    Free Member

Air Ambulance or Police?

No, neither of them according to their twitter feeds.

brakes
    Free Member

Near MI5?

alfabus
    Free Member

Near MI5?

no, vauxhall (other side of the river)

Jamie
    Free Member
    BobaFatt
    Free Member

Common sense news: helicopter seems to have hit crane, crashed into road, no confirmation of injured or deceased

SKY news: constant stream of twitter pics and speculation from twitter and Facebook, find every talking head they can to tell their story. Take every opportunity to use the words “terrorism” “skyscraper” or “9/11” – doesn’t matter that someone might be sitting at home wondering if their loved one has just died, if they can get a picture of a body then you’re damn well going to see it

alfabus
    Free Member

Police statement:

Police were alerted at approx. 08.00hrs on Wednesday 16 January re. an incident at Wandsworth Road SW8.
    At this early stage it appears a helicopter was in collision with a crane on top of a building.
    Met officers, the ambulance service and the London Fire Brigade have attended.
    Two people have been confirmed dead at the scene. We have no further details. Two have been taken to south London hospital. We await a condition update.
    We will confirm further details on the incident as soon as possible.

hora
    Free Member

+1

brakes
    Free Member

has Skyfall been mentioned yet?

cheers_drive

This woman must fear a lot of things if the likely hood of this happening was on the list.
    Sarah-Beth Casey, who lives in a flat near the incident, told Sky News: “You’re always worried about things like 9/11 and things like that. I have three small children with me in the flat. It’s one of your fears that something like this can happen.

Karinofnine

I’ve turned the tv off, can’t bear this ghoulish re-hashing of ‘expert’ opinion, speculation etc.

Thoughts to the families and friends of those affected. I’m guessing at least the pilot is dead – RIP. Sad news.

Kx

bearnecessities

doesn’t matter that someone might be sitting at home wondering if their loved one has just died, if they can get a picture of a body then you’re damn well going to see it

Encouraging J Public to call in with their excitable live-witness reports also smacks of irresponsible sensationalizing of a tragedy.

EDIT: Although that was BBC.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

doesn’t matter that someone might be sitting at home wondering if their loved one has just died,

I live just over the Moat from this. Several concerned texts/emails/calls when I got to the office.

Oddly, I had thought about going over Vauxhall Bridge for a change this morning. Got to the lights at around 0810 or so, police everywhere, bridge closed. So, I just toddled off and went another way. No idea what had happened.

24hr rolling live news is a blessing and a curse. Yes, we want to know what has happened, but no, we do not need to rehash it all again and again in gory detail.

wisepranker
    Free Member

Just wait until Sky News roll out Kay Burley to go door knocking to break the news to relatives of the deceased like she did in the April Jones case.

hora
    Free Member

Just wait until Sky News roll out Kay Burley to go door knocking to break the news to relatives of the deceased like she did in the April Jones case

Really?!!!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

As long as you watch it they will keep doing it.

I_Ache
    Free Member

brakes – Member
    Near MI5?

No but only half a mile from MI6

fasthaggis

Encouraging J Public to call in with their excitable live-witness reports also smacks of irresponsible sensationalizing of a tragedy.

EDIT: Although that was BBC.

Happens more and more with the Beeb.

They are also getting good at padding out lightweight stories and gossip. 🙄

24 hour news demands it.

ononeorange

It does bug me how the BBC asks “Were you near the scene? Care to comment / give us pictures etc”. No. Go and do your owned damned reporting and do it soberly, respectfully and thoughtfully using someone who is actually informed on the background subject matter.

I agree that their approach tends to give sensationalist non-expert guff. But that seems to be what journalism is now.

Rant over.

hora
    Free Member

Switch to Aljazeera. Considering the current state of the middle east their reporting is respectful.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I have.

hora
    Free Member

Amazed that alot of the content is actually interesting with some pieces that are more Discovery channel quality doco’s. The baby that had died had me in tears.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Tragic accident, people gone…

Meanwhile on the news
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=tYrFj9tEdlI&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DtYrFj9tEdlI&gl=GB[/video]

althepal

Good song, interesting vid..

Lifer
    Free Member

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUXBCdt5IPg[/VIDEO]

BobaFatt
    Free Member

has Skyfall been mentioned yet?

Weirdly it (almost) was on Jeremy Vine, they had an “expert” on who said “this was close to the MI6 building, the iconic building from the Bond movies”

popstar
    Free Member

I take it from pictures crash has happened on junction of wyvil road/Wandsworth road just next to big sainsburys. Man, sainsburys is packed with time wasters and other sort of junkies so guess there are tonnes of expert witnesses.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Newsflash on Perth TV…. Helicopter crashes in Vauxhill.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I was going to add: “I’ve just heard a bomb’s gone off in London” but that jokes getting a bit long in the tooth. 😉

wordnumb
    Free Member

It does bug me how the BBC asks “Were you near the scene? Care to comment / give us pictures etc”. No. Go and do your owned damned reporting and do it soberly, respectfully and thoughtfully using someone who is actually informed on the background subject matter.

They’ve changed their approach, currently covering the story from a helicopter hovering above Vauxhall.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Helicopter crash in Vauxhall?’ is closed to new replies.