Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Helicopter at Glentress on Sunday
  • wwaswas

Chest is, indeed, best.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“I don’t know any first aid but that app might be useful one day
    asks you for symptoms and gives basic advice”

Isn’t that a bit pointless? Surely if you have a signal to get 3G you can dial 999 and speak to a human who will give much better advice than an app, or does it download all the data to the mobile so it doesn’t need 3G?

wwaswas

if it’s an app then the data shoudl all be on the phone?

mega
    Free Member

correct it’s all offline information
    you could achieve the same by carrying a basic first aid book

mega
    Free Member

iPhone app:
    First aid app

looks like not available for android but this is:
    red cross app

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’d still be dialing 999 and getting real advice for some one seriously injured, or handing out a dose of MTFU 🙂

mega
    Free Member

first aid guidance helps you decide when to call 999 (if there is a signal) and when to MTFU

i’m off to add add a yellow hi-viz health and safety (elfinsafety?) vest to my biking pack now 😀

poly
    Free Member

I’m slightly surprised that if someone was walking around and at the skills circuit (which I assume means right next to Buzzards Nest Car park?) that it needed a helo; I’d certainly have expected to be bundled in the back of an ambulance if it were me. Of course there may be details we don’t know which meant the crew on the ground or the operator on the phone believed this was sufficiently serious. If it genuinely needed a helo then ibuprofen wasn’t going to do much and could only make matters worse – but sometimes after a crash a rest and the strongest over the counter pain killers are all you actually need to be able to limp back to the car and get yourself to hospital so I don’t think it was the stupidest thing I’ve heard.

Borders General in Galashiels. TD6 9BS

That information is on all the trailhead markers at Glentress, along with “location” information for you to pass to the ambulance service so they can find your mates crumpled body.

However I am not first aid trained either…All you can do with some one who is seriously injured is make them as comfortable as possible

Well not really. Major blood loss in rural areas has the potential to be fatal so knowing how to deal with that is probably quite important. Most fractures are unlikely to be life changing but clearly spinal injuries could be – so understanding the difference between making someone comfortable and uncomfortable but stable might be worth knowing. Serious femoral (upper leg) fractures are also potentially life threatening if not stabilised due to the associated blood loss. Finally I’d guess that penetrating chest injuries etc are not out the question from high speed crashes into trees, bars etc. 99% of the time a little comfort, some help getting off the trail and getting to professional help will be all you need – but there are times a little bit of an idea what to do might just save a life.

Northwind

poly – Member

I’m slightly surprised that if someone was walking around and at the skills circuit (which I assume means right next to Buzzards Nest Car park?) that it needed a helo; I’d certainly have expected to be bundled in the back of an ambulance if it were me.

Maybe a case of whirlybird was in the area with nothing better to do? We had that once on a motorbike group ride, our rider had a broken collarbone but a flying taxi came and got her.

(I don’t know what happens if a more urgent case comes up… parachute maybe)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I thinbk a fair amount of the time they do “live exercises” No recent callouts they will attend one that does not really merit it to get the hours in and use them as a live exercise – no evidence for this other than hearing of trivial injuries / easy road evacuation done by air

cynic-al
    Free Member

MrsToast I want my money back.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Like Yoda said “Decide you must. How to serve them best. If you leave now, help them you could, but you would destroy all for what’s they have fight and suffered.”

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Helicopter at Glentress on Sunday’ is closed to new replies.