Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • helicoil a crank arm?
  • mah05
    Free Member

ive stripped the threads on the pedal of my crank . can it be helicoiled or is it a case of new arms

chvck
    Free Member

why dont they use inserts on all crank arms?

GW
    Free Member

chuck – coz there's no need!

chvck
    Free Member

But it just makes sense to me! I stripped the thread on the pedal bit of my last crank arms, new ones have a steel insert and just seems to make more sense to me!

coffeeking
    Free Member

If you can find a helicoil of the right size, sure.

mah05
    Free Member

cheers guys just wondered if anyone had done it to a crank arm

willyboy
    Free Member

Highpath engineering
    These people can do it for you.

D0NK

Family friend got one of my cranks helicoiled at a local place years ago, sorry no idea on cost or where it was done but it worked and lasted a good while before I binned the cranks.

mefty
    Free Member

Most decent bike shops will be able to do it, I had one done for £14, £10 minimum labour charge plus £4 for the coil.

mefty
    Free Member

See this also Recoil thread

tails
    Free Member

yeah i agree with chvck it makes f all weight difference, should at least be on the higher end products. sure it will come in soon enough.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I managed to rip the pedal out of my XTR cranks.

Pearce Cycles put an insert in for £15. It's a steel top hat bush rather than a helicoil. Cranks were on my DH bike and it's held up a treat.

http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/

D0NK

F all weight difference? Or not enough for YOU to bother about tails? As mentioned I've stripped 1 crank in a lot of years of riding and that was down to user error IIRC. For heavy duty riding a good shout but for day to day riding probably overkill and definitley not for weight weenies.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘helicoil a crank arm?’ is closed to new replies.