Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)
  • Helen from Blue Peter…
  • I really hope TSY is sat in front of his PC chuckling away – otherwise I’m afraid TJ may have done away with him and nicked his account.

fatmax

Well I tried to make a light hearted comment and it didn’t work.
    Lets hope my daughter grows up with a sense of humour and the ability to such trivialities in her stride…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m contemplating giving up being a fluffy bunny for lent. Just trialing things out for the evening.

*must… not.. say… what… I want… to do… to… Helen*

kennyp
    Free Member

I’m sorry I just think that it’s a crying shame that a woman can’t be appreciated for her daring and professional capability.

I can appreciate she may well be a very professional presenter (although I haven’t seen Blue Peter since Valerie Singleton was on it) but walking on a rope with a safety line is hardly daring. She was being paid plenty of money to do it, and for the same money I’d happily do it too.

To be honest I’m far more impressed by the huge number of women who work in pretty low paid caring professions than by some highly paid TV presenter pretending she’s doing something daring.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

To be honest I’m far more impressed by the huge number of women who work in pretty low paid caring professions

… especially the attractive ones!

druidh
    Free Member

mtbfix – Member
    And she has kayaked 2000 miles down the Amazon, solo.

I’d have been more impressed with her kayaking 2000 miles up the Amazon. And solo? Don’t make me laugh.

kennyp
    Free Member

I have to say that her Amazon trip was truly amazing. To do something like that absolutely solo with no-one else there (other than the producer, cameraman, sound engineer, cook, medical team, maintenance crew and support boat) and with only the fast flowing river current to help, really is something else. I doff my cap to her.

I hope some of these selfish, unambitious women cleaning the toilets in the local hospice take some time out from their 60 hour working weeks to watch and be inspired.

fatmax

I don’t think anyone’s holding her up as something amazing or better than a hospice toilet cleaner, but better to have done the Amazon trip and the high wire thing than sit on her ass and do nowt…or marry Ashley Cole…

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I have to say that her Amazon trip was truly amazing. To do something like that absolutely solo with no-one else there (other than the producer, cameraman, sound engineer, cook, medical team, maintenance crew and support boat) and with only the fast flowing river current to help, really is something else. I doff my cap to her.

I hope some of these selfish, unambitious women cleaning the toilets in the local hospice take some time out from their 60 hour working weeks to watch and be inspired.

Come on, credit where credit’s due. In my book the kayak thing and the tightrope are both pretty impressive, and I don’t see that it’s knocking the people cleaning the toliets in hospices to say so.

kennyp
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone’s holding her up as something amazing or better than a hospice toilet cleaner, but better to have done the Amazon trip and the high wire thing than sit on her ass and do nowt

Don’t get me wrong. She’s made the most of her life (more than me certainly) and I’ll give her lots of credit for that. But her so-called “daring, amazing achievements” aren’t quite what they seem. I’ll admit I am jealous though. I’d love to kayak down the Amazon, and be well paid for doing so. Good luck to her, but don’t elevate her achievements above those of lots of other folk.

kennyp
    Free Member

Come on, credit where credit’s due. In my book the kayak thing and the tightrope are both pretty impressive

Don’t totally agree I’m afraid. I suspect most of us could do both things too if our employers gave us the time and money to train for them. I will give her credit for getting that sort of job in the first place though. I’m quite jealous.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Kenny do you mind if I call you ‘Uncle PK’?

How’s your knowledge of left wing politics and human resourcing?

kennyp
    Free Member

I don’t mind at all, other than admitting it’s a joke that’s gone right over my head!

The folk who know me will actually tell you that when it comes to politics I’m somewhere to the right of Attila the Hun!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I used to have an Uncle TJ who fought for the little man, the down trodden and everything that was right in this world.

*waves*

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Good luck to her, but don’t elevate her achievements above those of lots of other folk.

I’m not sure I get this. Any achievement of any sort can be made meaningless by comparing it to something worthy. Sports world champion? Yeah, but what about those people caring for elderly parents- aren’t they the real champions? Achieiving some high political office? Well, they haven’t shown as much devotion as people who volunteer with disabled kids etc etc etc.

It just seems a bit churlish to me. It is what it is, what’s wrong with that? She’s not making out she’s better than those other people as far as I can tell, and she HAS done ac couple of things most people would never do, even if given the opportunity.

kennyp
    Free Member

used to have an Uncle TJ who fought for the little man, the down trodden and everything that was right in this world.

Ah, now I see. That’s quite a nice thing to say. Thanks!

kennyp
    Free Member

It just seems a bit churlish to me

To be honest, I probably am being quite churlish. I’d love to do the things she’s done. Maybe one day I will.

Anyway, off to bed now. I’ve eaten too many pancakes and feel ill.

rewski
    Free Member

I’d love to do the things she’s done. Maybe one day I will.

I very much doubt you will.

racefaceec90

i have the utmost respect for her.awesome achievements that she has achieved

philconsequence
    Free Member

just to throw this in the mix….

most cleaners in hopsitals and hospices that i’ve met aren’t there cos its doing good for society and helping vulnerable adults… they’re cleaners, cleaning as a job for money to pay bills.

then again i’ve only met cleaners who are paid to do the job… i’m yet to meet a volunteer hospice toilet cleaner! hopefully i’ll be proved wrong as the world would be a nicer place if people did volunteer for such things.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Thanks Phil for coming along and volunteering to clear things up on this sordid thread.

If the altruistic toilet cleaners are attractive, then all the more respect to them.

nickf
    Free Member

My comment yesterday about mutton dressed as lamb relates to the cheesiness of the photo, not do do with her attractivenes or otherwise.

Oh, and I’ve volunteered to clean kitchens in old folks homes. Not toilets, or in a hospice, and I can confirm that it certainly doesn’t make me a better person. Just a git who occasionally does decent things.

Cougar

Thread summary.

“I saw that Blue Peter presenter do a tightrope walk, pretty cool no?”

“Yeah, I was impressed. She’s pretty cute too.”

“Cute? How dare you objectify women by commenting that you find her vaguely attractive!”

“And besides, that’s not particularly daring, she wasn’t even on fire and where were the tigers?”

“Was she wearing a helmet?”

“But, what about something else utterly unrelated?”

philconsequence
    Free Member

just need elfin to come along and post some pictures of random buildings and we’re sorted.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

See-through-Canoe!

bullheart
    Free Member

That’s ace!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Won’t somebody think of the fishes?!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Yes, but it had to have a woman in a bikini in it…

Dickyboy

See-through-Canoe!

Think I’ll stick to my opaque one for British waterways thanks 😉

xiphon
    Free Member

She’s hot. Very hot.

iain1775
    Free Member

when she lands a jumbo jet on a conveyor belt. Then I’ll be impressed
    Just a bigger version of those Go ape courses, and Ive seen 8 year olds do that 😆

roper
    Free Member

This was her on Blue Peter last week.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

AAArrrgghhh its Blue Peter FFS!

What would you have them do? It enteraintment for children. Think back to your childhood and the “stunts” the blue peter crew did, now compare.

Put into persprective that she is a childrens television presenter it is pretty damn impressive. Fair play to her.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Thread summary.

“I saw that Blue Peter presenter do a tightrope walk, pretty cool no?”

“Yeah, I was impressed. She’s pretty cute too.”

“Cute? How dare you objectify women by commenting that you find her vaguely attractive!”

“And besides, that’s not particularly daring, she wasn’t even on fire and where were the tigers?”

“Was she wearing a helmet?”

“But, what about something else utterly unrelated?”

😀 Pretty much

kennyp
    Free Member

Claiming to have canoed solo down the Amazon, when in fact you have a full support team from one of the world’s largest media organisations, devalues the achievements of people who genuinely have done such trips solo. And is a complete lie. Hardly a great example to the kids who watch Blue Peter.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It’s a bit better example than Konnie Huq flashing all that flesh about on childrens tv just for self-promoting reasons…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Isn’t she the only person to have kayaked the length of the Amazon?

rewski
    Free Member

Nah – kennyp did it in his gap year, he doesn’t like to talk about it though.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Ms Skelton’s CV pales into cock-all when you think about what this chap did.

Ed Stafford WALKED the Amazon solo.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Helen from Blue Peter…’ is closed to new replies.