• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by jond.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Heights …… Big dose of MTFU needed!
  • letmetalktomark

We have just had some scaffolding erected at the side of our house to carry out some remedial work to the wall.

A friend of ours is doing the re pointing/replacing bricks etc. My role is just to to the aesthetic work.

Just been to the top of the ladder (second/top raise) but wussed out to climb over the top of the ladder onto the boards. Everyone has said that you wont notice the height when you get up there …… but I cannot get up there! 🙄

Off now to sit in the corner and think about MTFU. Failing that The work above the first raise will have have to be less aesthetic 😆

highclimber
    Free Member

its not the height that kills you; its the ground 👿

letmetalktomark

highclimber – Member

its not the height that kills you; its the ground 👿

Thanks HC 😆

The ladder is in a very narrow alley. There is very little room between the two houses hence I have to climb over the top of the ladder.

Lots of things to hit on the way down, the ground if I'm lucky might be the last 😥

wwaswas

just get the ladder a bit higher so you can climb off the side;

letmetalktomark

I'd have to get up there first to undo the bolt holding it in place 😆

woody2000

I fell off a ladder on Monday. HTH 😈

Jamie
    Free Member

Maybe use a fork lift?

Drac

Lots of things to hit on the way down, the ground if I'm lucky might be the last

It often is.

Heights really scare some people, they hardly bother me but now and then sometimes for some reason they do it's bloody odd feeling when they do. I know I'm no afraid, that I'm safe and will be ok but the brain won't tell my body that.

wwaswas

it could be worse – these blokes had their house nicked;

highclimber
    Free Member

I fell off a ladder on Monday

take a leaf out of this guy's book

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZrnjBwP2X8

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The higher up it is the less aesthetic it needs to be. Aint like you're going to look at it close up once the scaffolds gone.

jonb
    Free Member

Heights get to me and it annoys me. Normally just a dose of MTFU but my balance starts to go which makes things harder. To get up follow the age old wisdom of don't look down, just focus in front of you.

Interestingly (for me anyway), I did a skydive and was less bothered that I thought I would be. I think with the ground being so far away it felt less like being at height. Also the surreal nature of sitting with you legs dangling out a plane door probably helped distract me.

woody2000

I was up the right kind of ladder, I was just f*cking stupid and tried to lift a very heavy box up it & overbalanced. Ladder + me on floor in short order!

In fairness it was only a fall of about 6 foot 🙂

donald
    Free Member
    jond
    Free Member

It's probably a case of mtfu and relax – easier said than done tho' !
    I bought a scaffold tower last year to strip/paint the upstairs bay windows – managed to get the sill/lower section done before I ran out of decent weather. I found I was overcompensating and being far too tense (tho' scraping away at paintwork can unbalance you a bit)…this year's doing the woodwork *above* the bay, so I need to get my head sorted 😮

(Sweaty palms indeed !)

As a matter of interest – do you have an upper handrail and kickboards (around the edge of the section you walk on) – that might help your confidence

My dad would have probably found it funny/ridiculous – he was a joiner/builder so was more than happy running up n down buildings…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Heights …… Big dose of MTFU needed!’ is closed to new replies.