Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Hedgehogs
  • rob2
    Free Member

Funny little critters. Just seen one walk past my back door again.

He/She walked past yesterday too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Keeps the slugs at bay !

Was gutted this morning to see the fox i see most days when i ride to work dead at the side of the road 🙁

singlespeedstu

I feel sad every time i see a sqished badger at the side of the road.

Almost as bad as when i saw the mahoosive toad that had lived in our garden for a couple of years turned into a toadpizza just outside our overgrown hedge. 😥

jonahtonto
    Free Member

stu, a lot of the dead badgers you see at the side of the road are covered in dog bites 🙁
    killed by dogs by sickos as some kind of entertainment and then dumped on the road to look like they have been run over.

god help anyone i catch doing that

Pigface
    Free Member

Hedgehogs are great to have in the garden, as said eat all sorts of slugs and snails. Used to live in Worcester and the cat was going mad in the garden. Went out to investigate and could hear a funny noise, after about 10 minutes of searching found the source of the noise, a hedgehog snoring under a piece of corrugated sheeting in a neighbors garden. Saw him/her loads after that.

butcher

killed by dogs by sickos as some kind of entertainment and then dumped on the road to look like they have been run over.

I’m failing to understand why anyone would go to the trouble of doing that?

Have you actually witnessed this happening?

Dog bites, fox bites, dicky birdy ‘bites’, and any other kind of bites are far more likely to happen given the golden opportunity that the thing’s already dead. Easy pickings.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

We have loads of hedgehogs at my parents house and around the close generally. Noisy buggers but guests love to see them. I am still surprised when I find out people haven’t seen a live hedgehog before 🙂

Bunnyhop

Please don’t use slug pellets in your garden. They are harmful to hedgehogs and other creatures.

We love hedgehogs, badgers, allsorts of wildlife really, so our garden has taken a few years to be organic and let the pests be eaten by natures predators.

Our local badger comes into the garden a few times a week, he heads straight for the bird feeder to get the easy pickings left by the birds. Very funny watching him snuffle around for worms, although he does leave small holes in the lawn, these are easily pushed back.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Hedgehogs are ace, but they do make a racket. We heard some appalling noises coming from a shrub and assumed that there was a wounded animal hiding in the garden and went to investigate, imagine our surprise when we discovered that Mrs Tiggywinkle had male company!

As for Badgers, they’re one of the few creatures that have demanded this guy on his bike gives way to them on the trail. I give them some respectful space lest they get angry at me. The number of dead badgers by the side of the road during the spring months saddens me no end.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bunnyhop

I suspect judging by all the pellets and potions left in my garage by previous owners ill have a long wait for mine to return to natural…….

Funniest one i found was cat repellant – the owner of the house had a cat. . I guess he didnt like it shitting in its own back yard

– all that guff is now in the bin !

STATO
    Free Member

I’m failing to understand why anyone would go to the trouble of doing that?

Have you actually witnessed this happening?

Dog bites, fox bites, dicky birdy ‘bites’, and any other kind of bites are far more likely to happen given the golden opportunity that the thing’s already dead. Easy pickings.

Badger baiting, its happens but no idea how common it is. WiKi

trail_rat
    Free Member

Oh and the goddam slugs ate all my basil …… Left the mint and parsley though

d45yth
    Free Member

jonah tonto – Member

stu, a lot of the dead badgers you see at the side of the road are covered in dog bites

god help anyone i catch doing that

I’m totally against killing badgers myself, especially when it comes to doing it with dogs. They’re as tough as old boots, thats why folk hunt them. It’s brutal and goes on for ages. I know some folk who used to do it though. Them being the kind of characters they were, they would have stoved your head in if you had tried to stop them/intervene. Sad but true. Most are in jail now for other offences!

Bunnyhop

– all that guff is now in the bin !

That’s great 🙂

project
    Free Member

Cycling to work many years ago, found a lost hedgehog,on a main road trying to cross, so picked it up and put it in my Addidas bag, took it to my mates flat and left it on the bed, I HONESTLY DIODNT KNOW THEY HAD LOTS OF FLEAS, poor little things took over his bed, and latter that day a horrible smell developed in my bag, the hedgehog had done a pooh, and the smell made me throw the bag out.

donsimon
    Free Member

Cycling to work many years ago, found a lost hedgehog,on a main road trying to cross, so picked it up and put it in my Addidas bag, took it to my mates flat and left it on the bed,

How did you know it was lost?
    How did taking it to your mate’s house improve this situation?

LeeW

Keeps the slugs at bay !

Hedgehogs rarely eat slugs and snails, iirc they only make up around 5% of their diet.

Every year we look after hedgehogs over winter from local nature reserve that haven’t got the room/funds to overwinter them. A couple of years ago we had a mum and two young pottering around the garden, unfortunately over the course of a week we found the mum and one of the youngsters dead. Luckily we found the other youngster. She only weighed 65g, we had her all over winter until we let her go a very healthy 900g in the spring.

They’re fabulous creatures and they absolutely stink the shed out! Watching/listening to them eat is as noisey and messy as my two lurchers.

zimbo
    Free Member

Don’t you know anything about fauna? Attenborough always stresses that wild animals near tarmac are instinctively expressing their innate urge to be put in a sports bag. Then on a bed. In a flat.

footflaps

Don’t you know anything about fauna? Attenborough always stresses that wild animals near tarmac are instinctively expressing their innate urge to be put in a sports bag. Then on a bed. In a flat.

Or taken on holiday for two weeks in the sun…

zimbo
    Free Member

Or taken on holiday for two weeks in the sun…

Sh*t, yeah. Maybe it wasn’t lost. Maybe it was just waiting for a bus. Did it have a suitcase?

project
    Free Member

Because it was in the middle of wrexham road, by the kings school in chester, and my mate like animals, he wasnt amuse about the hedgehog though, but we did take it to his large garden and it snuffled off, without even saying a thankyou, you save its life, you give it a lift home and a bed, and it cant even say thanks.

Must be how a paramedic will feel tonight when the drunks riot, when the footballers loose.

Nobody ever thanks a paramedic.

project
    Free Member

2 hedgehogs having sex for the first time, mrs hedge says it wont hurt will it, mr hedge replies, no love, youll just feel a little prick.

zimbo
    Free Member

it snuffled off, without even saying a thankyou, you save its life, you give it a lift home and a bed, and it cant even say thanks.

It’s like that injured, abandoned seal I found on a beach. Thought about ringing the RSPCA, but decided to do the right thing. Took it to the pictures to see “Drive”. Afterwards, the seal said it was a slow burner with a crap soundtrack. Ungrateful little turd. Glad I hit it with that club.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Hedgehogs’ is closed to new replies.