Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Hedgehog problems on Countryfile – anyone got hedgehogs in their garden?
  • CountZero

I’ve got two, one large, one small, and the amount of noise such small creatures make is quite extraordinary!
    Usually see them out in the garden nose to nose, so I wouldn’t be too surprised to find ikkle hogs some time or other.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Is Ellie in her wellies ?

footflaps

We had one last year, not seen him/her so far this year but then I’ve not been our looking…

deadkenny
    Free Member

I hear them at night. Keeps making me think there’s a burglar outside but then find it’s a hedgehog. Don’t see them in the day.

woffle
    Free Member

we have a resident family – all through last year I’d regularly see between two and four knocking around the garden when letting the dogs out / shutting in the chickens. I know at least of one of them is back – saw it yesterday – if I catch them with the torch they tend to do a comedy ‘if I hide my face they can’t see me’ thing and bury their head in the nearest plant.

they make a holy racket when in full march. And the dogs particularly like rolling in the black muck they leave all over the lawn…

(we have to keep on top of the flea treatment for the dogs given the proximity of the hedgehogs)

Cougar

Hedgehogs piss me off. Who can’t they just learn to share the hedge?

aikon
    Free Member

Middle hedgehogs are the worst…

Yes we have a few that pass through the garden to get to the fields behind the row of houses, we’ve left the front gate & rear fence hedgehog height from the ground so they can pass freely.

ninfan
    Free Member

Badgers ate all the hedgepigs 🙁

stuey
    Free Member

aikon – our ‘two’ always poop just before they go under the gates (?)

CountZero

My two lurk underneath the sheds, I think, loads of space, and nice and dry and warm. I assume they’ve probably dragged loads of dry grass and other dead plant material under there, and there are certainly no badgers within several miles.
    Cats, yes, little bastards are always coming into my garden and crapping on the grass.

seadog101

Lived in a house in New Zealand that you could easily get into the space under the floors. So could the hedgehogs.

Woken in the middle of the night to odd grunting from beneath the floor. Torch and stick in hand I ventured under th house to find two hedgehogs getting amourous. Felt a little embarassed to disturb their moment of passion.

Yes, noisey little blighters.

LeeW

In a previous relationship my partners auntie used to run a hedgehog hospital, as we lived on a nature reserve we’d often take them in for a week or so before releasing them. If our garden is hedgehog friendly and you put food out, you never really get rid of them.

In the summer months we’d find them in the house looking for food.

Got to a point where our local vet would call us to take injured hogs and look after them and we’d often take them from the (not so) local wildlife sanctuaries to over winter them. Shed would stink from Nov to March, they poo a lot, especially when you feed them cat food.

bikesian65
    Free Member

We have one who visits but we haven’t seen him/her for a while ( hope he/she’s ok)

madhouse

Only seen ours once, kids thought it was so great the recently dug up ‘pet’ worm was sent out as lunch 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Blokes came to fix my gate the other week, bug a big hole. In the morning there was a hedgehog in it. Not seen him around otherwise.

submarined
    Free Member

I have regularly drop kicked hedgehogs when I go out to shut our chooks in.
    I’m pretty sure that puts me further up ‘the list’ than Pol Pot and Hitler (and just below Farage). Started wearing a head torch after the third incident 😮

There’s a long beech hedge to one side of our garden, I think they use it as cover, pop out to grab some snacks and water from the chicken run, then head on out on their merry way. Lovely little things, great for the veg patch, but as above, huge racket for such tiny little beasties.

Richie_B

Did have but a badger ate it (apparently it didn’t according to the local wildlife trust, so what I saw and heard must have been a fox disguised in a badger suit – No wonder they have a reputation for cunning). Would have been better if it had killed it first the sound was horribly human

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Haven’t seen one for years and years. I used to live somewhere a lot more rural and would see (and hear!) them regularly. My mum is still out that way but she hasn’t seen one for years either.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The only ones I see are squished ones, which is sad. We border onto some trees with decent cover then fields & we even have a hole at the bottom of the fence, but we never get any hedgies. 😥

woffle
    Free Member

Did have but a badger ate it (apparently it didn’t according to the local wildlife trust, so what I saw and heard must have been a fox disguised in a badger suit – No wonder they have a reputation for cunning). Would have been better if it had killed it first the sound was horribly human

My wife has a similar story – her grandad sat her and her brother – then aged about 6 and 8 – down in front of the patio doors to watch the hedgehogs come and eat the catfood he’d put out (as they regularly did). Along came the hedgehog to suitable applause. Followed shortly after by Brock who proceeded to flip it over on it’s back before eating it from arse to nose. 😯

pictonroad

Bit awkward getting in the back door after tonight’s night ride. I really put the spiky man off his stroke, sorry Miss tiggwinkle. 😐

LeeW

I’m surprised you didn’t hear them at it. Noisier than a 10 bob tom on a PSE!

One of their biggest failings is that they hate walking in wet grass, hence lots of squished hogs on the roads.

pictonroad

They usually are, this liaison must have been illicit. They were completely silent.

CountZero

Is Ellie in her wellies ?

Those high lace-up leather boots she wears? Look a bit like snake boots?
    She’s hardly ever out of them on the programme! She’s not the most graceful of people when she walks, but she’s still lovely, for all that.
    One of our hogs was snuffling around in the rather long grass at the bottom of the garden last night, the bigger one. I’ve got a little flashlight that has a gloworm 0.5 lmn function, so I was watching it without it being seemingly bothered, even with me only a couple of feet away.
    I might see if I can get a photo of them sometime.

tenfoot

We have hedgehogs in the back garden. We’ve had to change where our dog sleeps because she was up all night barking at them through the patio door.

footflaps

We had one last year, not seen him/her so far this year but then I’ve not been our looking…

and spotted him/her last night..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/U95TTC]Hedgehog[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Hedgehog problems on Countryfile – anyone got hedgehogs in their garden?’ is closed to new replies.