Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Heckler v Orange 5 – anyone? 5 might be my next bike!
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Long time Heckler fan, I’ve ridden one version or another over the past 14 years or so. Fancy a new bike next year as I’ll be 50. I’m a big fan of the simple single pivot and it’s all I really need for my riding. So as they’ve discontinued the Heckler it looks like my only option would be an Orange 5, 4 or Alpine. A quick google turns up some 2016 discounted 5’s where I can still get good 0% finance so this might be a future option.

I know 5’s tend to get slated on here but they look good to me. Anyone ridden both bikes, what are they like, similar or different? Does the different shock position make a difference?

Luckily there’s a few places near me where I can get a demo ride so I will give one a go before I buy.

Any other options out there?

mikertroid
    Free Member

Orange 5s seem to be a marmite bike; whether they’re hated by those that have test ridden them I don’t know.

As a 5 owner, I can say that for the last seven years it’s been a superb bike and am about to jump on it this morning and give it a hammering. It’s done several 24 hour races, mini-Enduro, mini DH Races and the weak link is always the rider!!

Only reason to get a new full bouncer is that the forks are on their way out and there is extremely limited choice for a 140/150mm 26″ straight steerer replacement. If I can afford it I’d like a new 5, but I might go for a Boardman FS Pro for 2 years at £1050 and maybe then swap the parts to a five frame set when I can afford it.

Know ‘owt about the heckler but I suspect you need to test ride them both to determine the best one for you.

robowns
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2016 Five, it’s great.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Had 2 hecklers, tried a 5 and alpine back in 2012 along with blur ltc and nomad c. Vpp got my cash. 3 years in not disappointed.
    http://www.santacruzbicycles.co.uk/model/bronson
    Bronson alloy is 1600 so probably cheaper than a 5 and free bearings for life

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I did consider Bronson or 5010, but they (all Santa Cruz) seem very expensive now, that £1600 is frame only complete bikes from £2999!

Another bike that’s caught my eye is the Bird Aeris, they look great value and nice looking bike too. I just like single pivot bikes, I’ve got a Nomad Mk2 so know what VPP is like, and it’s great but a bit too much for the South Downs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How much is the 5 frame these days?

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I’ve seen a 2016 Orange 5 Pro for £2350, I’d have to get a complete bike as I’m still riding all 26in and complete 650b bikes seem good value.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Heckler v Orange 5 – anyone? 5 might be my next bike!’ is closed to new replies.