Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • heckler, too much bike for a trail centre thrasher?
  • adrec
    Free Member

As the title really, i want a heckler because I’ve wanted one for years. I can’t kid myself into thinking I’m going to be haring round the alps all of a sudden as soon as I get it. It’ll be taken to trail centres and the occasional trip to the lakes. How have other people been getting on with theirs?

scaredypants

I’ve wanted one for years

There you go

Crack on 😀

Speeder

2nd most hated bike in the most hated bike thread – fill yer boots there’s plenty about and they move quickly.

Heavy with crap standover, a short front and a back end that just gives in under any kind of load. It’s kind of the opposite of the way geometry has evolved over the last 5-10 years.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

I have a 2013 Patriot and a 4X bike. I often take my patriot to trail centres because it is a more comfortable climb. My wife’s first trail centre was the blue at Llandegla. I was in my Patriot. It was great fun. Which is the point.

I was talking to a guy on heckler on Chinley one day. He’d had it for years and put loads of XC miles on it. I’d love one. And a Nomad. And a Bronson . . .

Speeder

I’ll elaborate

It’s a 7+lb frame with a front end that is made for at least a 100mm stem so it’s xc style geometry with 6″ of travel. Contemporary reviewers quite liked them but they’re wrong.

That only applies to the old versions if you’re buying 2nd hand. They have brought out a new one which may have answered most of these criticisms if you’re buying new. BUT I’d check you’re happy with everything first.

Alpha1653

I’ve got a 2010 Heckler (26″ wheels). 150mm on each end built up to just around 30lb. I’ve used it all around the UK, at numerous trail centres and even done the Welsh c-2-c on it. I got one because I always wanted one which was justification enough. Yes, the design is getting a bit long in the tooth but I don’t care. It will not break much much I abuse it, it is light enough to go up hill without killing me, and robust enough to get me into a lot of trouble very quickly going down. As for the 2nd most hated bike ever comment…whatever! It’s simple, it works and I can keep up with most. Job done. Buy one, I’m yet to meet anyone who doesn’t like it.

That said, be aware that the old style was short in the top tube though I think the new version has addressed that.

Have a look at this: http://great-rock.co.uk/santa-cruz-heckler-1st-week/

adrec
    Free Member

I’m going to take one round llandegla black for a bit of a demo, hopefully compare it to something like a yeti 575 or maybe a 5010. The problem I’ve got is that my fitness is never what it should be, I’m rubbish on the climbs but respectable on the downs. I’d be gutted if it’s no quicker than my 2011 trance on the downs but 4lb heavier on the climbs. I took a nukeproof mega am out on a demo, i loved it’s stability etc on the downs, but buying one would mean hating every climb i came across. I’d be gutted if that was my experience with the heckler

Alpha1653

I’ve not ridden a Trance so can’t help with the comparison short of saying that it’s a reasonable climber – little bob and as long as you apply the slow and steady technique it can dig traction out of the most technical climbs: i’m frequently surprised at what I’ve managed to get up and can out climb my mates on Fuels and a Spicy. On the downs though my Heckler’s really fun and reminds me of riding a BMX. As for the speed, it’s absolutely fast enough for me!!

Speeder

It won’t be better than the Trance – unless you want it to be.

acidchunks

I love mine, its been to Helvellyn, The Peak, Antur, RBP and numerous trail centres. Rode the Dyfi on it in 2013, nearly killed me but still finished with a smile. 🙂

You can build them up light if you choose the right parts. Mines a on the weighty side at 33lbs but I run heavy wheels and DH tubes (I’m pinch flat averse) which add a bit of weight.

The suspension back end isn’t very progressive when the shock is fully open but trail mode works well enough for most terrain.

rocket
    Free Member

I took a nukeproof mega am out on a demo, i loved it’s stability etc on the downs, but buying one would mean hating every climb i came across. I’d be gutted if that was my experience with the heckler

I recently replaced a 2008 heckler with a mega TR. The mega climbs (and descends) a hell of a lot better than the heckler ever did. Same wheels and forks. Just saying.

WildHunter2009

I had, quite enjoyed it in air shock cross country mode, absolutely hated it when i rebuilt it into a coil, tough ‘all mountain / enduro / marketing term of choice’ mode. Felt very high up, short and nervous when pointed down anything sketchy, which was kind of the opposite of what i hoped for 🙁
    Sold it to a mate who loves it though so who knows.

WildHunter2009

Saying that, the new new shape ones do look pretty nice. Think they are supposed to be similar in geometry and purpose to a bronson? just not a gazillion pounds?

legend
    Free Member

I’d be gutted if it’s no quicker than my 2011 trance on the downs but 4lb heavier on the climbs.

Prepare to be gutted then. Not sure why you’d expect a mid-travel trail bike to be faster than another mid-travel trail bike

smatkins1
    Free Member

Sounds like you’ll be demoing the new Heckler 27.5 and not the old ‘outdated geometry’ one. The geometry of the new Heckler looks near identical to the Bronson. I’d be interested to here how it goes…

rob8624
    Free Member

I have a 650b 2014 Heckler, and it is a great bike. I’m not into the technical side of bikes so I can’t shout numbers and figures at you, it just feels right for me, it is very fun to ride and I have no problem doing 30 mile XC rides on it, climbs very well. Living in s.wales, it sees a variety of terrain from trail centres, downhills, to open mountain stuff and handles it all very well, I could quite happily ride the Heckler for the next ten years.

rob8624
    Free Member

Just too add, there is a learning curve though! I changed from a Trek 29er to the Heckler and it did feel very short and sketchy at first. I find it almost forces you to get your technique right on anything challenging, and my riding has improved a hell of a lot.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Ms AD loves hers, it’s a single pivot bike, so that will give you a clue what you’re getting. About 31lb with Revelations and XT kit (if you care about weight that much). She’s worked as a guide in Chamonix, and loves it. It’s a nice blue colour too….

Of course, Speeder will tell you that she is just fooling herself and secretly wishes she was riding a Giant. I’ll double check with her later 😉

She does run an unfashionably long stem (though not that long, all of 70mm I reckon but that’s more of a woman’s geometry thing probably).

Certainly isnt “too much” for a trail centre red route.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

This was my Heckler, built up with XT/Sram X9, Hope hoops, and Pike coils. Weighed in around 30lbs.

I’d own another at the drop of a hat. Fantastic bike, predictable handling, carves up the trail, comfortable for all day outings, great peddaling, climbs and descends wonderfully. Very cheap to maintain and bearings are very resilient to UK gloop.

Only changed as I got a great deal on a VPP2 Santa Cruz.

nickc

pretty much bullet proof, do anything frame. why wouldn’t you?

coastkid
    Free Member

Left the highest tyre marks on this long gone wall ride one weekend…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/5Qe8rp]GT%20Nov%202008%20wall%20ride%20005[1][/url] by coastkid71, on Flickr

Ace bike, Took mine on some amazing rides…
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/5Jhzwr]Applecross 08[/url] by coastkid71, on Flickr

Things have moved on a bit i believe in the MTB world with slacker angles but it could still be a fun ride 🙂

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Just got back from BPW, this beast climbed like a goat and was a whole bunch of fun on the way back down. Until I jumped into a tree stump and ruined myself 😳

deviant
    Free Member

Looks very similar to an Orange-5 doesn’t it?
    I looked at one before buying my current FS, I like single pivot designs though, previous bike was an Ariel.
    If you’re used to plusher FS designs it may take some getting used to… they can feel agricultural but bizarrely feel better the faster you go.

jimmy

Tizzzle can you post the photo, not the negative please.

Wait, they don’t do negatives any more…? 😯

Brainflex

Simple, if you want a heckler, it’s the right bike. Test ride one if you can but get it if you want it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Some bikes I’ve wanted for ages have been massively disappointing.

My 03 Heckler was ace tho, can you educate me speeder as to why it was in fact crap?

Speeder

Al in 03 it was probably great but these days the last generation looks fat, steep and short.

If you’re coming from an xc bike it’ll be confidence inspiring and bulletproof, if you’re coming from a DH bike it’ll be short, not very light and with an RP23 have terrible support in the mid stroke.

I’m probably being harsh and I really wanted to like mine but it really didn’t suit my short cockpit setup and the sus always blew through the middle a bit too easily. Might have sorted that with a coil but it always needed a 75mm+ stem and I haven’t used one of those since you could buy something short.

All I’m saying is don’t buy the last gen bike expecting the new school feel you’d expect from the fact it’s a Santa Cruz and has 150mm of travel. Look long and hard at the other numbers before making a purchase.

The new version sounds like they may have fixed most stuff.

WildHunter2009

That new shape one looks awesome! I think the older ones make brilliant long travel xc bikes, mine was great on long rides and trail centre stuff. I just tried turning it into something it wasn’t to keep up with more skilful mates on more dh jumpy trails.
    It does feel single pivoty, but I reckon that’s no bad thing. I have a trek abp bike now and prefer the sp feel I think. Hmmm I really want to try a new shape one now.

ton

i had a xl one a fair few years ago. it felt too low at the front with 140mm plkes, which were the fork to have then.
    it rode ok i suppose, i sold it and the next full susser i bought was a nicolai helious fr. it was a fair bit better.

anotherstan
    Free Member

“heckler, too much bike for a trail centre thrasher? “

let me start by saying that i’m pissed, so haven’t read all the posts, but i’m pretty sure that if you want to “thrash trail centres” then a heckler will be more than capable.
    never owned one myself, but a couple of my mates will swear to their ability in more than most situations.
    they are pretty much the santa cruz version of a “thrash trail centres” type of bike. granted, they may have been initially aimed at a different type of ride/ rider, but these days any 150mm bike is gonna be classed as capable of most of the shit that we (as riders) throw at them.

{most appropriate stw smiley}

obviously only my opinion though!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘heckler, too much bike for a trail centre thrasher?’ is closed to new replies.