Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Heckler bearing problem….
  • beefheart
    Free Member

I’m got a bike trip booked tomorrow, so I thought I’d replace the pivot bearings in my Heckler, as it had started to creak.
    I drifted out the bearings, but they fell apart and I’m now left with the outer race stuck in each side- meaning I can’t fit anything in to remove them.
    Any solutions to this on a Sunday afternoon?

speckledbob
    Free Member

I’ve had this problem. Rebuild the bearing and push it out from the inside. Quite easy.

beefheart
    Free Member

Both inners shattered.

scruff
    Free Member

mine did the same, lots of wd40, hammer, a small flat screwdriver- awkwardly tapping away for about 2 hours on the inner side just trying to get it to budge, once theres a tiny gap you can work your way around & it will come out eventually. I think trying to cut it with anything will damage the frame.

beefheart
    Free Member

Balls.
    I just tried coaxing in a star spangled nut so it sat on the inner lip, but it just hammered straight out. 🙄

mjsmke

rest the frame on a piece of wood and tap the outer races out from the inside. You might need a 2nd person to hold the frame.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Is there not a cinch bolt?

duncancallum

A nut n bolt with a washer gripping the bearing but clearing the frame?

iolo
    Free Member

I had a similar problem once. I went to the newsagent, bought a can of lighter gas. Just press the tip against the remnants of the old bearing to cool it as it becomes bloody cold when it evaporates.. Immediately after pulling the gas lashings of WD40. Repeat that about three to four times. On the last attempt, don’t apply WD40, use an old screwdriver and hammer and try and prise it. If no joy, repeat but leave bathing in WD40 overnight and try again in the morning. It worked for me.

beefheart
    Free Member

No cinch bolt and no way to get it from the inside.

Thank you iolo- that was genius. I froze it with lighter gas and smacked it with a chisel and lump hammer harder than I was really comfortable with.
    The outer race eventually shattered!

I think I’ll invest in a proper bearing puller for next time!

takisawa2

iolo…good tip.
    I have a Thomson post seized in my SIR.9 frame.
    Might try that inside the post & some boiling water on the frame to break the hold.
    Good tip.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

I had the same deal with a superlight (exact same bearing setup). I slowly nibbled away part of the out race with a dremmel until it was thin enough to stove in with a punch. Then hey presto, out the race came.

You do need to be very careful not to go into the frame. Fortunately the steel race sparks nicely and the aluminium frame doesn’t, so you have an indication if you go too far.

Other long shot is to pour boiling water (a full kettle at a time) carefully over the outside of the frame. The aim is to keep the race cool and the fame may expand just enough so you can get the race moving when punching it out from the opposite side. It is a long shot, but something you do tonight.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Heckler bearing problem….’ is closed to new replies.