Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Heckler – 150mm or 160mm fork?
  • mcpayner94
    Free Member

Hey up lads and ladies,

Opinions for me Heckler!!! Should I get a 2012 Fox 32 Float 150 FIT RLC or get the Fox 36 Float 160 RLC model? My mind is heading towards the 150 Float as it may be better suited for the bike! I’m going to the Alps this summer! HELP!

cynic-al
    Free Member

both fine

kayak23

36 Talas.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you’re going to the alps then you’ll need some double crown forks for sure.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Seriously tho…you could set up either how you like.

Q is…do you like jumps or tech? Overdamped or marginal? Slope style or railing the singletrack?

Jeffus
    Free Member

Float 36 , I had a Lyric on mine in the Alps really helped having a strong fork up front to give me confidence to push on some of the trails,
    the head angle on the Heckler is around 69degs with a 140 fork and I think it is nearer 68 with the 36’s / Lyric, slack is good in the Alps 😀 my build below, coil shock was a good improvment on the Heckler.
    Plenty of people say they ride over there fine on 100mm hardtails etc , but I found the limits of the Heckler on some trails, glad I had the big fork, get some dual ply tires and spare brake pads 203mm disc up front.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Nice bike Jeffus – like the yeller n black theme.

mcpayner94
    Free Member

Very nice ride you got there mate! I was looking into the 36’s, but their just soooo expenisve! A good deal has arisen on a set of 150 Float’s…
    I am mainly into big mountain climbing and majorly techy descents, got to trail centres such as Whinlatter, and at my hometwon I do a fair bit of jumps and techy wood riding, so all round a bit of everything! 36’s would be the best all round to be honest!

Decisions decisions -_-

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get the 150 Floats, and with the money you save, change your name to Max.

mcpayner94
    Free Member

Oh jesus! ;)the 150 fork seems to have my vote… lower down at the front means easier to climb, more control etc! I have to say, my build at the moment is massively pimped! and 785mm bars dont help the control side of things! 😉

bwaarp
    Free Member

Get the 150 Floats, and with the money you save, change your name to Max.

😀

nick1962
    Free Member

What he really needs is some 100mm Marzocchis and some skillz lessons eh davidtaylforth? 🙂

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from 150s to 160 55s and a 1 degree offset headset on my heckler.

Can’t wait to try it out in the alps…

although its a bit of a dog on the climbs at my local trail centre if truth be told…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have run mine with the following
    150mm 36’s
    160mm Marz AM SL’s (07)
    160mm Marz 55’s (09)

All were good, the 55’s are the longest 160mm I have seen for a while and are just too long for when it’s not all downhill. The AL1’s were perfect but broke 🙁 the 150mm 36s were stiff as and I think the 160’s measure up well. If you want a do anything bike go 36’s, 32’s flex too much

flyingmm

Just gone from 130mm revs to the fox 32 150 fit talas fork. Rides a treat down munros, no idea about the alps as I’ve not been there, but going to find out later this year and climbs like a beast in the 110mm setting – v versatile and light.

scottfitz
    Free Member

😕

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You mean like 36’s or 32’s or lyrics??

Heckler with 888’s (triple clamps) will be way too slack and a PITA to steer, I had some Jnr T’s ages ago on an old heckler, they measure up the same as a set of 160mm Bombers

kayak23

36 Talas. Spot on….until I sold the flexy wee thing…

dantsw13

If you wanted a pure downhill bike, you would have bought one. As an all day all mountain machine, 150 revs/F32 ‘s are great. Merlin currently have rev150 RL 15mm maxle for about £330 – what’s not to like???
    Link that to a DHX5 coil on the back, and you are away!!

vinnyeh

Don’t really understand the need for 32/150 forks, unless you’re watching the pounds- Float 36 and Lyrik can both be easily reduced in travel by using spacers. Float 36 can, I think, be reduced to less than 100mm travel.

Stiffer fork, and more flexibility on travel.

Popocatapetl

If you’ve got the pennys to spare, I’d go for the 160 Fit RLC 36 Talas. 160-120 travel. I’ve got a set on my Remedy and they are the dogs kahuuunas 😀 Not cheap, but worth it.

sprocker
    Free Member

I had 36 floats on and have just changed to 44 rc3 ti’s found the floats made the bike to tall the rc3 seem very plush so far and are only 522 axle to crown, put in a works h/set to knock the ha back by a degree. Bike is as slack as 160 but lower and more stable. Works out alot cheaper to.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

*thread hijack* – i have a coil shock for sale that will fit a heckler (or nomad plus others)

DHX 5 COIL – £150

Teetosugars
    Free Member

36 Floats here…

scud
    Free Member

I’ve a Heckler with 160mm coil u-turn Lyriks, bought off here for £200 coupled with a Fox DHX4 coil shock which i’ll be taking to the Alps again this year, fantastic set up and with 11-36 cassette out the back, i’ve been amazed with the way it climbs as well for its weight.

d3fm3ch
    Free Member

I went to the Alps two years back to back. The first I had a 140mm Pike Air. The second year I had a 160mm Coil Lyrik. Much preferred the Lyrik. Felt safer on the scary stuff. 🙂

dantsw13

150 Revs/DHX5 coil

[/url] Untitled by danthomassw13, on Flickr[/img]

mcpayner94
    Free Member

That’s my set up at the moment… not too shabby I’d say!

mcpayner94
    Free Member

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/7814194/
    Woops here you go! 😀

warpcow
    Free Member

Mine is similar to McPayner’s, ie. Wotan (is that a Thor in the pic?)and DHX 5, except on a previous gen. frame. I did much umming and aahing before going with the bigger fork (from a Pike). The extra stiffness won out in the end, and I love it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Heckler – 150mm or 160mm fork?’ is closed to new replies.