Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Hebden Bridge / Calderdale good Knarley routes
  • parling
    Free Member

Looking to see if any one knows of any good technical routes in the Hebden Bridge area, seen quite a few on the old internet just wanted to see if any one had any they had 1st hand experiance on. wanting it between 15 – 20 miles ish and have some good downhills that ill need my knee pads for.

Cheers

bigbadbob
    Free Member

Try the Blue Pig, that’s a good ride. I’m sure the guys at Blazing Saddles HB can give you plenty of info about that and many more routes.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Blue Pig is a ride? I thought it was just a descent? If you want to do all the best Hebden has to offer, get a map (OL21) and draw a circle of about a 2 miles in diameter with Hebden in the middle. Then go and ride any BW you find – Blue Pig, Slack Zig Zags etc (and footpaths if you like although I’m not going to tell you which are the best).

If its a big route you want, then the one up to Widdop, down Gorple Road and back via Whirlaw Stones etc is a good one although I suspect the section from Long Causway through Whirlaw Stones and the gold course will be horrific at the moment.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    brant
    Free Member

Knarley – http://app.strava.com/segments/2762143

Try and get under an hour.

parling
    Free Member

Cheers Brant, once I get my road bike ill have a go on that but would be terrible on my ten ton 456.

Dave boy wounder I have senced after trawling the internet that the fun routes in hebden bridge are a closley garded secret. if i took this http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/PennineBridleway/uploads/Hebden%20Bridge%20MTB%20Route7%20%282%29.pdf as a template would that be a good start for a loop and tie in were i think the special places are.

Cheers

shaggmiester
    Free Member

I could show you some stuff, none of its on a map. But is very technical.

bethbynag
    Free Member

http://www.bogtrotters.org/list_routes.php

Calderdale Clotts and Hebden Bridge

parling
    Free Member

Cheers bethbynag that looks a good route im sure the rest of my group cant wait for it on sunday might be best to remeber our lights.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The two Boggies routes look belters. But they will, ironically, be VERY boggy at the moment – especially the sections over Heptonstall Moor and High Brow Knoll. Skirt around those etc if you can and they’re excellent choices.

The Nationaltrail link you posted could also make the basis of a good route. At the start as you climb out of Hebden on the road, keep going all the way to Peckett Well and then drop down the (excellent) BW to Hardcastle Craggs, making sure you take the right hand option at the end of the cobbles. If you’re daft enough to attempt Heptonstall Moor in the current conditions (it won’t be pretty and its a footpath thats pretty well used on a weekend) then you could cut onto that at point 7 and follow that into Slack. From there take the BW marked on the NT map which zig zags down into the valley almost all the way to the bottom but then climb back up to Heptonstall on the tarmac lane. In Heptonstall, head down Blue Pig (BW) and then head back into Hebden on the road OR have a look at some of the FPs that come down into the valley from Heptonstall Bowling club or whatever it is 😉

parling
    Free Member

DaveyBoyWonder thats great advise can’t wait to have a play out there now.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Ok, fair enough! 🙄

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

If the offer is open shagg, I’ll come out sometime?

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Yeah no probs DBW I’m off Friday if you fancy it?

parling
    Free Member

shagg if your out there during the festive week Id enjoy been shown around.

munrobiker
    Free Member

You want to be careful riding the footpaths- there seems to be a special breed of sanctimonious jeb-end that likes to ride up on their cyclocross bike in their 5:10s and tell you off for causing a rift with the “locals” when the only rift created is between him and you 🙄 .

Otherwise, map + pen is a good idea but there’s not much super gnarly stuff round there, just some sweet medium tech trails.

parling
    Free Member

in fairness I’m on a hard tail and prefer not to die but like a good challenge.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Working Friday but could do next Friday?

shaggmiester
    Free Member

I could do that, I will let you know nearer the time.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

DBW & Shagg
    I might be able to join you Friday 28th, if you’ll have me. I’m always up for some Calder-tech 🙂
    If you stay off the moors and keep to the tech then it’s fairly weatherproof around there. Some of the stuff like Stanny’s (AKA public funpath) rode really well last Winter as the slippy Autumnal coating of green had been scoured off.

tom84
    Free Member

Hello, sorry if this is a ‘highjack’ but i posted elsewhere that i was looking for a ride in the area and think was put right about what to expect. Anyway, that means that Saturday the 29th, I am looking to join a ride if I may? I’d seriously appreciate being shown round a place that i have been reading about from London for over 6 years without making it up.

(ps. I’m an ok rider, have done stuff like welsh mtb centre and southern spain, i’m not amazing, but fit, keen and stupid/brave)

please email me @ lunis46@yahoo.com, thought i’d post here before starting a new thread.

Blower
    Free Member

but there’s not much super gnarly stuff round there, just some sweet medium tech trails.

😆

you taking the piss luke?

the stuff round there what you wont have seen asin not on the os map is pretty much the Ghanrliest around innit Shag.the vids dont do it justice of the lines we have.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

You coming out to play Blower? Been a while 😉

Blower
    Free Member

working Dave lad or else i would
    unless do half day but busy at mo.

elltell
    Free Member

Lads,

I’m out for what is probably going to be the last ride for some time this weekend, we have a baby on the way due 27th so im off to Cannock Chase while I can.

When things start getting back to normal I wouldn’t mind joinig you around that way. Ive done 90% trail centres and have loved the 10% natural routes ive done, including Scafell Pike, Derwent Water Loop, Edale/Jacobs Ladder.

What bikes do you use around these Yarrkshire trails? Ive a 100mm Anthem and a 160mm Wicked.

We have a group on Facebook, we try ans get together most weekends where possible. Feel free to join if you use FB.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/450495944968490/

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Hebden Bridge / Calderdale good Knarley routes’ is closed to new replies.