Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Hebden Bridge
  • Vinte
    Free Member

Hi all, I’m thinking of heading over to Hebden Bridge tomorrow to try out some of the descents I’ve been hearing a lot about. The trouble is I don’t really know where to start! I have an OS map and I will call into Blazing Saddles in the morning for advice. Has anyone got any tips.

Cheers
    Vinte

brant
    Free Member

Call into Blazing Saddles in the morning for advice and take an OS map.

Vinte
    Free Member

👿 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    terrahawk
    Free Member

don’t run with scissors

brant
    Free Member

Looks like it will have stopped raining by then.

woody2000

Anyone who’s been here a while will know that asking for route advice round holy Hebden Bridge gets the same response – nowt.

One day, I’m going to map it all and stick it on’t interwebz, just to p*ss ’em off.

😈

Vinte
    Free Member

Ok, sounds like I’ll just have to ride down any footpath(sorry bridleway! :wink:) that takes my fancy.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

We usually meet at Pecket Well and head down to New Bridge, I may have already told you too much.

woody2000

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eojZksnvnuI&feature=player_detailpage#t=6s[/video]

Vinte
    Free Member

Thanks B.A.Nana, This is like the enigma.

billysugger
    Free Member

It’s all good.

Have a roam. Was there all day yesterday.

phil56

This will help, please keep it secret, if you print it – please eat it afterwards!
    Henden Bridge

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Ok, sounds like I’ll just have to ride down any footpath(sorry bridleway! :wink:) that takes my fancy.

Sounds like you’ll fit in perfectly.

Legit, BW descents easily picked out on OL21:
    – from the tops above Peckett Well, through the village and down the BW into Hardcastle Craggs car park. Personally, taking the right turn after the short cobbled descent from the main road is better than the straight ahead option.
    – Blue Pig coming down the other side of the valley from the above. Starts in the village of Heptonstall, follow the BW that starts in the centre by the pub and it heads straight down into Hardcastle Craggs.
    – zig zags from Slack down into the valley with Jack Bridge at the top

All those are good. Blue Pig is over-rated. People seem to cream their pants over it because Brant named a frame after it 😉

Peckett Well is a must do really. Even more so if you ignore the weather and climb right up above Luddenden Dean and take the singletrack across the moors which leads into the Peckett Well ‘proper’ BW.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

phil56 – that’d be a good loop if you were on a road bike (apart from the shakey descent down Jack Bridge).

brant
    Free Member

phil56 – that’d be a good loop if you were on a road bike (apart from the shakey descent down Jack Bridge).

and of course you never ride DOWN Jack Bridge you always ride UP.

phil56

DavyBoyWonder – Then I bow to your awesomeness! The likes of Blue Pig might be overrated, but for most of us it would be ‘interesting’ on a road bike!
    The OP wanted to ‘try out some of the descents I’ve been hearing a lot about. The trouble is I don’t really know where to start’ In that case that map will help.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Yep, Jack Bridge is a climb. I (in all my awesomeness) rode down it once when I was young and naive. Never again. Although I regularly see people coming down it. I should stop them and describe how awesome I am and tell them the error of their ways.

OP – Blazing Saddles is a good bet or my mail is my profile and I’ll point you in the direction of some fun stuff (as long as you promise to never disclose the information to anyone!).

Or… go on the Bogtrotters website, look for their Hebden based rides and trace the maps they very kindly provide which generally include decent levels of cheeky based descents.

MrSparkle

Tips? Don’t bother trying to chat up any women whilst in Hebden.

footstomper
    Free Member

Tips? Don’t bother trying to chat up any women whilst in Hebden.

😯 😯 😯

What ever you do don’t ask a local Guy for directions.

Vinte
    Free Member

Thanks for your help all, Davey I’ve sent you an email.

hora
    Free Member

Tip: Watch out for the non-riders who call themselves ‘locals’ and think they own the land.

philfive
    Free Member

Getting advice on hebden is like pulling teeth. I just get a OS map and ride what you find.

hora
    Free Member

SFB/Boggy’s is a fountain of knowledge on cheeky. Using just the Map link above will start to open your eyes as theres cheeky leading off everywhere…couple this with a OS Map to see the cheeky and very soon you know it all…

kawato
    Free Member

It would take an age to explain exactly where everything is, so the best bet is to bua South Pennines map and pop into Blazing saddles and mention the following places:

Blue Pig (not overrated, just very well known) – I susually section this over and over again purely because its a great trail, but if you come down from Heptonstall (not really worth it in my opionion, but if you do) before you hit the second road crossing (where the trail really detiriorates) look to your left and you’ll see a path that goes up the hillside. Push your bike all the way up this to the top where you’ll see a bermed turn. Start there. This bit of track is a great addition to the Blue Pig and makes the whole run down to the Blue Pig pub about 2mins. In the wet its trickier as the top section is earthy and rooty (as opposed to the main Blue Pig desecent which is rocky and rideable at roughly the same speed rain or shine.

kawato
    Free Member

whoops…ask about Fairfield as well. I forget whats its called but its the one that starts from near LOndon Road, they’ll know what you mean 😉

woody2000

I think I stumbled on that bit of trail (off BP) last time I was over there kawato, it was pretty good IIRC.

hora
    Free Member

I like bluepig- first time down it I was clashing bar ends with a local as he was trying to overtake me 😀

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

kawato – its better if you just find the top of that trail. Fairfield? Birthday X?

peterfile
    Free Member

the more “technical” top section is easier to find on the push up IMO.

on the way back up, when you cross over the little road, you’ll be pushing up a nice wee rocky chute, then it opens up onto a large, wide cobbled road which swings up to the left.

Walk about 20m up this cobbled section and you’ll see the more technical trail to your right, take that path (i think it actually has a trail marker).

Push all the way up until you hit the wall at the main road, turn around and ride back down. It can be pretty interesting if it’s been raining heavily though 🙂

It’s much slower than the other top section, so if you want to do lots of fast runs, just follow the main trail up to the main road, turn around and ride down. But the more technical top bit does make it more interesting and last longer.

There’s a cracking drop called “don’t look down” if you are into dropping off man made features from great heights. It’s tougher than it looks in the videos if you hit it quickly. Avoid if it’s wet (bye bye front wheel!).

kawato
    Free Member

DaveyBoy – i guess you might be right, but i’m not sure if he’ll be coming up from the London Road or will want a quick bash at some of the local DH as he is only there for one day. I don’t think its called that, its called something Cross i think. And nearer the top of it you go under a very small bridge.

sutty
    Free Member

always better to ride around this area in the evenings, you will come across way to many walkers at the weekend 🙄 i too walk the dogs & ride alot around heptonstall, pecketwell, hebdon bridge, todmorden, widdop, hardcastlecrags, whitehill but most of the best riding i have to admit are footpaths, so i always ride on these on weekdays after work ! the mary townley loop is literaly on my doorstep so theres always some good riding whichever direction i go in 😀

totalshell

did the section of the MT closest to hebby bridge yesterday met 3 riders and 4 walkers all day, sun shone and skies were blue tracks were dry with only the odd puddle still got mucky though as i came off stoodley pike and had my only off of the day at the top of callis hill when i couldnt get my shoe out of the spd.. doh.. still only twice in 21 years aint bad.

ps its bin raining heavy most of the day so will not be so dry tommorow

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Vinte – YGM 😉

elaineanne
    Free Member

it will be very boggy in sections i was out a few days ago and got the black foot scenerio and (that was on cobbles too…some deep hidden bogginess out there and rooty sectons !!! have fun wherever you go theres ‘loads to go at’…me i will be collecting my bike tomoro after a new BB is being installed so hopefully i mite be out on sunday.. 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve always assumed that the local knowledge thing is more about the best stuff being so difficult to explain exact locations, especially stringing it all together, than unwillingness to help. You just have to go and explore areas over a succession of visits (with a OS map is best and just seeing where stuff leads), it’s a relatively small area just packed with stuff. A bit of imagination sometimes helps.

Vinte,

If you can wait til Monday you are welcome to join us:

http://www.bogtrotters.org/rideslist.php

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

BA – you’re right about stringing stuff together. The riding I tend to do around Hebden seems to never be more than a mile from the centre but constant up/down…

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Hebden Bridge’ is closed to new replies.