Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 141 total)
  • Heatwave
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’m in the firing line working in the South East currently, was nice and warm on the way in, I’ll be getting some miles in at Swinley tonight.

I bloody love baking hot weather. Fantastic. Hope it’s still hot for my Trans Cambria way attempt in two weeks’ time.

ferrals
    Free Member

Up early and an hour of coastal singletrack before work. Was already feeling hot when i got back to the house at 7.30 🙂

beach after work, and a bbq, and beer… so it will start raining about 4 i guess!

jam-bo

thick fog and 12 deg on the moors this morning. should have burnt off by now.

Drac

I don’t think he was mocking, merely demonstrating his fantastic people handling skills. Essential in his profession…

You’re right I was being serious. Unless Epping has some sort of special thorns that weren’t they when I last rode there.

ransos
    Free Member

I reckon a heatwave starts when the temp hits 40C. Anything below that is just warm.

It doesn’t need to be that high before we start seeing serious health impacts – as happened in 2003. It’s a heatwave.

From wiki

The United Kingdom experienced a warm summer with temperatures well above average. However, Atlantic cyclones brought cool and wet weather for a short while at the end of July and beginning of August before the temperatures started to increase substantially from 3 August onwards. Several weather records were broken in the United Kingdom, including the UK’s highest recorded temperature 38.5 °C (101.3 °F) at Faversham in Kent on 10 August. Scotland also broke its highest temperature record with 32.9 °C (91.2 °F) recorded in Greycrook in the Scottish borders on 9 August.[25] According to the BBC, around 2,000 more people than usual may have died in the United Kingdom during the 2003 heatwave.[26]

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Great ride in to work on MTB this morning. Warm, dry dusty trails.
    What’s not to like?

Oh. Yes. The sitting at the desk inbetween that and the ride home. 🙂

bearnecessities

It’s too hot, I’m flagging.

Too early for pub also….isn’t it?

Drac

Too early for pub also….isn’t it?

I’ve just bought some beer for my lunch. 😀

dantsw13

This morning – walked the dog, checking the trails for tonight’s group ride
    This afternoon – heading out with some shears to sort out the bits that need a trim
    Tonight – make some dust on perfect trails, then adjourn to the pub for chips and ale.

I like summer.

bikebouy
    Free Member

*looks out of office window down on all the sweaty joggists…

8)

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

office bound. Weather was like this all last week in Morzine so doesnt feel too bad. if it wasnt my second day back id be taking today off no question! days like this are too few and far between. get yourself off home lads…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yeah, but it’s a dry heat (is it balls).

28c in Cardiff according to my car, which is 13c too much for my transparent complexion.

At least it’s cooler in the woods.

phiiiiil

It’s amazing outside, but the ventilation / aircon in this office building is so rubbish I’m almost reaching for a jumper… 🙁

Rockape63
    Free Member

Was lovely and warm on my commute in on the Speyside Way at 6:15 this morning

Did it get above 5 degs?

Kryton57

@ Molgrips

If you have a bike with you, why not come and have a race tomorrow night at Beastway (google Beastway 2015)

badnewz
    Free Member

It’s hot alright, in the process of cancelling all appointments in central London this week and avoiding the hell that is the central line in summer.

swavis

Rockape63 – Member

Was lovely and warm on my commute in on the Speyside Way at 6:15 this morning

Did it get above 5 degs?[/quote]

I reckon it was close to an absolutely scorching 15deg…. 😉

Probably closer to 25 now though, happy days 8)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well Roosters it was lovely sitting in Cabot Sq with surrounding office bods chillax’ing on the grass watching Wimbledon on the massive screen.
    Warmer than a Hen House it was …

Some rather lovely looking Hens preening and a few Cocks in small groups prancing around.

10/10 today folks.

Utterly lovely.

Edukator
    Free Member

An hour after midday GMT it’s 36°C outside under cover on the shady side of the house and 26°C inside. The pool was a delight, the Bac has just finished so there were lots of decorative young things around in addition to the usual lean, sporty types. Siesta time.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

First shakedown ride on the new bike in the heatwave/bog standard summers day whichever you prefer. Bit of tweaking and it’ll be ready for a proper ride out tomorrow…

Too early for a beer?

bearnecessities

Radio aire and lunchtime beers in the garden now, in 29 degrees sunshine. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

(Tomorrow’s lunch made already, just in case something does)

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ Dusty tyres 8)

Drac

Too early for a beer?

You’re playing catch up.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Not obvious from the picture but the stanchions have dust on as well… 😀

Playing catch up? I’m on it.

grenosteve
    Free Member

The word “Heatwave” just reminds me of this –

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiTmqOy5n1k&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Rockape63
    Free Member

including the UK’s highest recorded temperature 38.5 °C (101.3 °F) at Faversham in Kent on 10 August 2003

I remember that day well, was sitting in a shady part of the garden looking at the thermometer in disbelief hitting 100 degrees. Never got close to that in the past 12 years.

Looking forward to my Weds night ride. 8)

bearnecessities

These were on offer on Sunday in Asda, 8 for £4 so I bought a few packs…bloody hell it’s a bit powerful!

Undecided on taste, but after 2 I love you all. *hic*

ransos
    Free Member

I remember that day well, was sitting in a shady part of the garden looking at the thermometer in disbelief hitting 100 degrees. Never got close to that in the past 12 years.

I was stuck in the mother of all traffic jams on the M5. That was not a good day…

nickc

car temp gauge reached the dizzy heights of 30degs on the oh so sunny M6.

Drac

Undecided on taste, but after 2 I love you all.

You forgot the wedge if Lime in the top.

bearnecessities

Isn’t that corona? Anyhow, turns out after 4 I couldn’t face another. 🙂

hanchurch
    Free Member

Needed ice cubes in the camelbak on today’s ride!

molgrips
    Free Member

Some bloke just left the office putting on a leather jacket. It’s 30 degrees ffs…

bearnecessities

..and?

Drac

Isn’t that corona? Anyhow, turns out after 4 I couldn’t face another.

It’s not exclusive to that, the lime with the tequila taste works well.

bearnecessities

Gotcha. Being as I have twenty-odd bottles left still, I’ll give it a try thanks.

Edukator
    Free Member

38 max and it’s cooling now. Up early to make the most of the morning cool tomorrow. The air we’ve had today will be with you late tomorrow, enjoy.

MrOvershoot

This afternoon I had to do a filter & oil change on a big blower located in a room with 4 of them running.
    Just for reference I took the thermographic camera in with me. Wall temp 47c, machine temp 78c, blowline temp 107c.

90ltrs of oil & 3 filters later I was wringing wet with sweat. All this is while wearing fireproof clothing, bump cap & hairnet, safety glasses & gloves.

I actually felt physically sick for about an hour.

Tomorrow will be worse as we are doing a roll change which takes 4 hours and is very physical, enjoy your offices.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ ohhh, you win the bravery/sufferfest award 😀

work turned down the aircon this PM to a chilly 24C 8)

Tomorrow will be awesomeness 😆

cheers_drive

It’s nice to still be lazing in the hammock at 8pm

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Heatwave’ is closed to new replies.