Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • heating help – do i need a thermostat?
  • ed34
    Free Member

My house currently has a programmable 7 day timer, and TRV’s in all the rooms except bathroom (i think its so theres always one radiator water can flow through if all the other have shut down with the TRV’s)

Anyway, theres no thermostat. As i have TRV’s in all the rooms, is it worth getting a thermostat for the hall as well? I’d need a wireless kit, so looking at about £100. Not sure if its worth the outlay as i dont know if i’ll get much energy saving from it, so the £100 could just be spent on the oil!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Is your boiler compatible with a wireless thermostat? If yes then get one – they can substantially increase the efficiency of a boiler.

stumpy01

My parent’s heating system has no thermostat. It just seems wrong to me. My Dad always used to say it didn’t need one as you control the temperature is controlled by the TRVs.
    But, I would think it would be better to have something that tells the boiler it doesn’t need to be on anymore.

If you set your heating from 6-10pm, it will be on for all that time. There is no way your boiler knows that your house is warm enough & can switch off.
    With a thermostat, the boiler will turn off as soon as the set-point temperature is reached.

I would have thought this would pay for itself reasonably quickly.

As in the other heating thread on this page at the moment, make sure you get one that can control your heating and hot water, if that is what your current controller does. Some of them are only room thermostat controllers so you will lose hot water control.

I have just bought one of these, but haven’t had it fitted yet…

http://www.honeywelluk.com/Products/Systems/Wireless-Enabled/Sundial-RF2-Pack-2/

I am going to try & persuade my parents to get one of these fitted, if our one works well.

RustyMac

I am presuming your £100 includes fitting etc as i bought a Salus RT 500 for £35 to replace a clunky old timer and it only took the sparky 45 minutes to wire it up including chatting to me and eating the bacon sandwich i made him.

Stoner
    Free Member

bacon sandwich

He said “bacon sandwich” which means Im allowed to go and make one.
    See you in a bit. Nom.

Harry_the_Spider

One of these fitted to our new house saved us £600 last winter.

link

The old system was TRVs with no thermostat and the boiler running on a time clock.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What the hell is a bacon sandwich?

Is it one of those half-baked southern-softie concoctions served on a sesame-coated baguette with odd green leafy stuff and organically-grown homemade tomato relish?

IT’S A BACON BUTTIE.

stumpy01

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    One of these fitted to our new house saved us £600 last winter.

link

The old system was TRVs with no thermostat and the boiler running on a time clock.

Harry – how is the hot water controlled? Do you have a combi boiler…..?

Stoner
    Free Member

It’s irrelevant now.
    What ever it was, it is now an ex-bacon sandwich.
    Nom.

RustyMac

Glad i could help with you breakfast choice Stoner.

ed34
    Free Member

that thermostat looks good stumpy, does it replace the existing programmer as well? (ie just unwire the existing one programmer and wire that sundial receiver in its place?)

My system is a bit odd, i’ve got timed hot water + all rooms except the lounge on one programmer (pumped system). The 2 lounge radiators are on a sperate gravity fed system with a different timer. (was installed like this when i bought the house)

The thermostat in the hall i’m thinking of fitting would be linked to the system that controls most of the house, and i’d probably keep the existing lounge system timer as it is. Or is doing it this way a waste of time, and should i have another thermostat + receiver for the lounge as well?

Harry_the_Spider

Harry – how is the hot water controlled? Do you have a combi boiler…..?

Condenser combi with separate flow temperature settings for heating and hot water.

sam_underhill

+1,000,000 for the Honeywell wireless room stat.

We have ours set for a cooler temp in the mornings, just enough heat so that you can get out of bed then leg it to work. Then in the evenings it’s set for a nicer living temp, and again something different for the weekends.

The receiver wires into your system just like a regular mechanical room stat (which is basically just a switch) so it’s easy to integrate into almost any system.

it also trickle feeds the temperature so the stat knows how fast the house is warming up and shuts off the boiler before the required temperature is reached. That way you don’t have the temperature having peaks and troughs and the boiler does less work.

edit. p.s. if you’ve already got a programmer that does both HW and CH then just leave the CH on permanent on and leave the room stat to do all the work.

stumpy01

ed34 – Member
    that thermostat looks good stumpy, does it replace the existing programmer as well? (ie just unwire the existing one programmer and wire that sundial receiver in its place?)

Yeah, the one I link to above is a wired controller – same as a normal one – but it has wireless capability to talk to the included thermostat.

Not sure about particular use with your system. To be honest, my knowledge of this kind of thing is pretty limited. It’s just stuff I’ve picked up in the last month or so while looking into what controller would be suitable for our system.
    It sounds like your proposed solution would be better than having no control over any of the house.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘heating help – do i need a thermostat?’ is closed to new replies.