Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Heating has to stay on. I’m sorry, it’s too cold. What about yours?
  • MrOvershoot

“takisawa2

We have a timed thermostat so technically the heating is “on” all the time, its just set at a different temp according to the stat. Overnight is set at 18c, during the day 17c. Living hours set at 19c / 20c.

In my experience the timed stat is cheaper than heating from cold whenever the heating comes on.”

18c Overnight!!!! you must be a pool of sweat 😮

Ours is the same system as yours but the settings are 13c overnight, 18c early mornings and evenings and 16c at all other times.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Oop north myself – was sat with the back door open last week enjoying the brisk air, no heating on windows open at night too.

Many of us Southerners don’t have a layer of lard-induced blubber, though.. 😉

I have low blood pressure, and not a lot of body fat, so feel the cold quite a lot. I prefer to be comfortable, than sit there shivering.

Actually, in my experience, it’s the Northerners I know, that moan about the cold, the most.

Mind you, they tend to moan about things anyway. Perhaps it’s all that moaning, keeps them warm.

colnagokid

All this talk of 12 to 18 degrees- thats not heating, its stopping you from freezing to death(quickly) thats all!

mudshark
    Free Member

I live in Surrey and pay £45/month for gas and elec but am a bit in debit I think. Live in a largish 4 bed detatched and shut off 1/2 the rooms with the rads turned off. Heating on for an hour in the morning and 4 in the evening. Wife likes a hot water bottle but I was too warm last night – duvet has lots of togs.

I remember my house in the 70s – ice on the inside of the windows when we woke up! No double glazing and some sort of warm air heating system. People aren’t tough these days.

tomlevell

Automatic boilers?
    Pah.

Coal and wood here so only on once we get back from work during the week and no heat in the morning.
    Having loft insulation has helped keep the temp above 5degC on a morning.

colnagokid

Being the son of a coal miner, and growing up with coal-powered heating, I think I have grown to like having warmth on demand rather than having to order it up two hours in advance, and having hot water when you turn on the hot tap! It were grim up north!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Whether its cheaper to heat from cold or keep at a level is a very complex problem, different for each house. Heat loss (and therefor cost spent keeping it there) to the outside world is higher with a higher temp differential, so keeping your house hot means you’re throwing more heat out of the window, but on-off heating leaves things like tables, walls etc very cold and IME means you have to heat to a higher temp to overcome the cold downdraughts from the walls to get the same feeling. That said, I was coping with 2 15 min blasts of uncontrolled heating and spending £9 a month. now ive got stat controlled I’m spending £2 a day, which agrees with the physics.

Daffy

Haven’t used any central heating for 2.5 years. Don’t have a fire either. Jumpers and socks do the job, mayube a hot water bottle when it gets below freezing.

kinda666
    Free Member

Heating on constantly here, thermosatically controlled, wife and i work shifts and CBA to set the timer each day to cope with changing hours! Wife gets cold whilst watching Jeremey Kyle when shes on lates otherwise! 😕

coffeeking
    Free Member

Haven’t used any central heating for 2.5 years. Don’t have a fire either. Jumpers and socks do the job, mayube a hot water bottle when it gets below freezing.

I’m not averse to a little chill, but thats insane.

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

I live with mrs chuck morris in a two-up-two-down terrace and pay £100 a month for gas and electric.

Heating is on from 3pm – 11pm every day.

In the mornings its cold but it seems pointless firing it up for the sake of an hour.

miketually
    Free Member

We have a timed thermostat so technically the heating is “on” all the time

We do too, but it’s set to 5C overnight and while we’re out during the day.

Coal and wood here so only on once we get back from work during the week and no heat in the morning.
    Having loft insulation has helped keep the temp above 5degC on a morning.

Yes butt you live on Teesside. Central heating hasn’t made it there yet 😉

marcus
    Free Member

We havent had ours on all winter. Having said that the multifuel stove has been burning 24/7 since the wife has been at home with the baby. At the moment, all the wood is free, just takes a bit of time / effort once in a while with the chainsaw and axe.

MrSmith
    Free Member

having skimmed through this thread it seems that 80% of you are soft.
    heating on for 1/2hr some mornings if i can be bothered to set the timer and on again from 5.30 to 10.. gas bill is about £120 for the winter/spring quarters.

i think people who have central heating on constantly and work in aircon offices are not doing themselves any favors as they all seem to be constantly ill with colds. just put another jumper on and HTFU. why on earth do people need heating on when they are in bed?? that’s what duvets are for.

coffeeking
    Free Member

why on earth do people need heating on when they are in bed?? that’s what duvets are for.

Because my head and shoulders still poke out of the duvet (or my feet, its one or the other!) and I end up with a stiff neck every morning. Plus when its that damn cold I dont feel like getting out of bed and going to work.

bumley
    Free Member

You are lucky to have heating.

I have no heating and no double glazing, freezing my bloody arse off!!!!!!!!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ah, poor bumley.

Shall I come round and help keep you warm, with a nice hug?

miketually
    Free Member

Because my head and shoulders still poke out of the duvet (or my feet, its one or the other!) and I end up with a stiff neck every morning.

MTFU? 🙂

Plus when its that damn cold I dont feel like getting out of bed and going to work.

That’s why heating can be times to come on before you wake up. Which reminds me, now that my kids are sleeping a bit latre in the morning, ours probably doesn’t need to come on at 4:30 anymore.

coffeeking
    Free Member

MTFU?

I cant really help that 🙂

That’s why heating can be times to come on before you wake up. Which reminds me, now that my kids are sleeping a bit latre in the morning, ours probably doesn’t need to come on at 4:30 anymore.

I know. Thanks 🙂 Mine actually gets turned down to 15 overnight, but it never comes on.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

MuddyDwarf,
    Have you worked out the cost of the gas you use yourself ?
    Are your readings ‘read’ or estimated ??
    You will find that by working out the average monthly cost yourself it is often lower than the suppliers figure – never ever take their word for it as all businesses need a cash flow and the energy suppliers are the worst for over charging… I always phone my supplier when they try to put up monthly payments and bollock them.. if its an incorrect judgement by them…

djglover
    Free Member

I think leaving it on lowish 24/7 can be more efficient than short hot bursts, as its ages before your house starts to warm up

I’ve been doing this and have no marked increase in consumption over last year.

To all those in credit – you’re meant to be, your winter bills use the credit, I’m £350 in credit but I know that will disapear soon

juan
    Free Member

Do you want my merinos jumper?
    I can’t stand it anymore because it’s way way too hot for me to be honest.
    Feeling better?
    😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Yes, Juan, I’ll have it! That’s very kind of you, too. It’ll fit me perfectly.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

“MuddyDwarf,
    Have you worked out the cost of the gas you use yourself ?
    Are your readings ‘read’ or estimated ??
    You will find that by working out the average monthly cost yourself it is often lower than the suppliers figure – never ever take their word for it as all businesses need a cash flow and the energy suppliers are the worst for over charging… I always phone my supplier when they try to put up monthly payments and bollock them.. if its an incorrect judgement by them… “

My current bills are ‘estimated’ after having the meters read at the beginning of Novemember (i think).
    I get completely confused by the way the energy Co.s total up the cost of units used

[/quote]

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Been sitting here a bit chilly all day- bloody forgot to turn up the thermo when I got up this morning! Good job it’s not too cold today.

Juan, where’s that top? Bloody freezing here mate, hurry up!

djglover
    Free Member

1 imperial unit roughly = 31kwh, 1 metric unit roughly = 11kwh

the price of which will be on your bill

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Don’t talk about bills, please. Too frightening.

MrSmith
    Free Member

don’t people wear woolly jumpers anymore?

tails
    Free Member

Canna be bothered reading the whole thread but have you generated 69 posts talking about heating? 😆

RudeBoy
    Free Member

It’s a serious issue, tails!

zokes
    Free Member

Perhaps the cold amongst you could utilise this hot air?

johnhoo
    Free Member

put some more **** clothes on you daft sods. either that or do some exercise

I got in from band practice this evening, had to turn the heating off & open some windows to cool down. West Yorkshire.

Mof
    Free Member

Just got my estimated usage for this year, more or less double last 12 months. I was in credit by just shy of £200, DD still went up from 57.00 to 67.00 per month….but last qtr usage (Gas & Electric) well over my payments… Time to consider emigration I think.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Time to consider emigration I think.

Just don’t go to the South Island of New Zealand – they haven’t invented central heating yet, and mostly live in un-insulated* wooden houses. And that’s in somewhere that gets snow in winter. Jumper-tastic.

Joe

* Actually one house I lived in did have ‘insulation’, there was a sheet of silver cooking foil between the wallpaper and the wood of the outside wall.

matt_outandabout

The issue here is not heating – but our atrocious UK insulation standards. I have just spoken to a self builder who use out stuff, and even in the recent -15 near Aviemore, they only turned the heating on for two hours each morning…and used a woodburner in the lounge. They have data-loggers, and the house averaged 19.4*c and it dropped to 16.1* on a cold night…

We all will need to start insulating old houses ASAP. Remember, insulation is (relative the future gas increases) very cheap at present. Draft proofing even more so.

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Heating has to stay on. I’m sorry, it’s too cold. What about yours?’ is closed to new replies.