Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Heating has to stay on. I’m sorry, it’s too cold. What about yours?
  • RudeBoy
    Free Member

I know I know, global warming etc, and don’t ask me how i’m going o pay the bill, but it’s -bastard freezing out there, and I just can’t bear to feel cold.

Any hardy/Northern/mental* types want to tell me they’ve got no heating on at all?

*May actually be the same thing.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Heating on here (my face fuzz froze on todays ride!)

finners

its baltic here too and im way up in scotland. i have just found a new setting for the heating……Nuclear aparently!! its chuffin roasting!!!

forge197
    Free Member

it’s been on constantly since the beginning of the cold snap, once that changes it can go back to timed,

nukeproof
    Free Member

It was on until this morning and now its not; its bust and we’re freezing. Can’t get hold of landlord until Monday. Its been a bad week all in all.

Taff
    Free Member

We’ve got it on here too… it’s not making much difference though if I’m honest! Think my bones are frozen from todays ride. I’m regaining feeling in my fingers some hours later. Think I’m going to turn my heating thermostat up. Bought my mrs a coat the other day as she complained she was cold [was a riding jacket]

miketually
    Free Member

It’s on the same timings it’s always on over the winter, but obviously the boiler runs a bit more when it’s colder. Been sticking it on occasionally through the day when we’re in too over Christmas. The house is well insulated, so it’s generally pretty warm, and obviously wearing a jumper too.

miketually
    Free Member

It’s colder if you’re living in a tent, I bet.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Last place I lived in, had communal heating from a central boiler. Which meant really low bills. Many people just whacked it on full, and opened windows if it got too warm. Bastards. I only ever had it on when it was below about 3 or 4 degrees outside, as there was simply no need. Everyone else’s flat warmed mine up a treat.

Oh, how I long for that wonderful, free heat…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Is that bloke living in a tent because he’s been made homeless, or becasue he’s mad?

If the latter, then he should be locked up for his own good.

-11??? Mental…

imnotamused
    Free Member

Mine on constant since the cold spell began too. Latest bill from nPower, £137 per month! We are 2 adults and a toddler in a 4 bed semi. The washing machine never stops, we have showers, daughter has a bath and we use the dishwasher every other day. We have cavity wall insulation, a combi boiler, double glazing, energy efficient bulbs everywhere, suspect the loft insulation needs urgent attention. Cost sounds high to me.

avdave2

Had all the windows open for a couple of hours earlier today but we did put the heating on this afternoon. Opening the windows every day and investing in a dehumidifier has got rid of the condensation problems we had and I think you feel the cold less if the air is dry. heating went off about an hour ago and it’s still perfectly warm.

MrsTricky
    Free Member

We’re the same – heating has been on virtually constant since the start of the cold weather. I’m sure I feel the cold more than I used to, but I had 6 layers on today when walking the dog!

MrsT

biscuitandpotato
    Free Member

My CH packed up 3 years ago, didn’t bother fixing it as the plumbers were all like “ooft, the boilers fecked, £1200 to fix” etc. After a helpful thread on another forum I bought a new synchron motor a couple of months ago, from Plumb centre for £24 and hey presto, CH works, thermo’s been set at a staedy 12 degree’s ever since, even the cats enjoy been inside now 😀

RudeBoy
    Free Member

12∫C?? That’s Arctic! Mine gets set to 20∫C during the day, and turned down to 16∫C at night. I can’t bear the cold.

biscuitandpotato
    Free Member

having been the last 2 winters with no heating, 12 is positively Mediterranean 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

12 degrees? My fridge is set to that.

the-muffin-man

It was on pretty much constantly until 10 days ago when I got my gas bill. Its now on for half the day and the house is **** freezing. We’ve got two duvets on the bed, and sit with blankets over us in the lounge!!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Mines on constant too, but stat controlled, it comes on every 3 or 4 hours for 15 mins or so. Dread to see what my bill will be, normally my gas bill is about £9 a month lol.

deadlyhifi
    Free Member

I finally finished plumbing my fire in, so I’ve got some logs on it.

mrmo
    Free Member

I have heating in the house, in the pump house, in the well. everywhere i can think of to make sure i stay warm and the water keeps flowing.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Pump house? Well? Where do you live?!

miketually
    Free Member

Through the week, our heating is timed to come on at 5am and stays on until 8:30am, thermostat-controlled obviously. It comes on again at 3pm and stays on until 10pm, again thermostat-controlled but a little lower in the evening.

It doesn’t need to be on through the night as we’re in bed under a duvet or through the day because we’re all out. Actually, technically it is on but it’ll only fire up if the house falls below 5C, which I think is fair enough 🙂

Three bed semi, with double glazing, loft insulation and cavity wall insulation. Gas combi condenser boiler. Two electric showers per day for us and a bath for our two kids. No dishwasher. Washing machine does maybe seven loads a week, with the tumble dryer used only very occasionally.

I think we pay £85 a month on direct debit for gas and electricity.

mrmo
    Free Member

Pump house? Well? Where do you live?!

In the country, no mains water.

dobo
    Free Member

at the moment i just turn mine off when i go out and about 1hr before i go to bed, my bill is going to be steep! i dont usually have a problem with the cold apart from my feet

mboy
    Free Member

“Not allowed” it on here. Not hard northern types either!

I’d have it on personally, but then again, I don’t fancy paying the bill either. That said, we do have a wood burner, 2 sheds full of wood, and I’ve got rather handy with both an axe and a chainsaw of late.

Currently sat in front of VERY nice warm fire burning away feeling rather smug. Though only a hot water bottle to keep me company once I go to bed! 😕

Anonymous
    Free Member

kept the air-conditioning off these past few nights. it’s dropped to 19C in the early hours. quite comfortable…

*smirks quietly to himself and walks off*

JulianA
    Free Member

We just leave ours on all year and it comes on if it needs to.

We’ve just had a refund on the electricity bill and the gas people owe us money!

Offroading
    Free Member

Oop north myself – was sat with the back door open last week enjoying the brisk air, no heating on windows open at night too.

Bunch of pussy’s

Junkyard
    Free Member

with off roading on this one – heating get 30 mins in morning and 30 mins before kids go to bed … what do you people do / wear when you go outside… it is winter it is cold live with it…if you think your house is cold go outside for 30 mins and come back in toastie warm… do wear lots of clothes though inside that is the trick … now find everyone elses house just far to warm.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

my heating has been constantly on since Christmas Eve – left on tickover all night, while at work etc, but comfy warm when in, I think its cheaper then starting to warm house from cold every day ??

miketually
    Free Member

I think its cheaper then starting to warm house from cold every day ??

There was a discussion on this on the old forum a while ago, I think. This only works if you live in a big old building like a church, IIRC.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I think its cheaper then starting to warm house from cold every day ??
    My combi boiler is getting on for eighteen yrs old, maybe not too efficient gas usage wise, maybe it would work out cheaper with a newer efficient boiler ? I

colnagokid

Mines on all the time,set to 20degrees, just works off the digital thermostat thingy on the wall here. If its abit chilly just put it up to 21 or22 and that does the trick, the boiler very rarely seems to come on, I supose the house has warmed up. And Im in credit !

miketually
    Free Member

And Im in credit !

But how much are you paying each month?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

My combined gas/electric bill went up from £77 per month to £104.

Thing is, now i’m single my usage should be much lower. I have the heat on for an hour before i get up to take the chill off, then from 4:30 til 9pm set at 17/18 degrees. However, my windows are shot so really need to get new windows & doors, where i’ll find the cash i don’t know 🙁
    Front room is the draughtiest & coldest room as well.
    Only run the washing machine 1-2 times a week & don’t use the tumble drier anymore – all hung in front of the radiators.

Hopefully i’ll be in credit by March.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Put on a fleece ffs!!!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I am!
    Two t-shirts, one fleece & two pair of socks.

Have been known to wear the above plus fleecy bathrobe when it’s really cold. Pretty mild at the moment though – compared to last week.

colnagokid

Good question MikeT!
    About£70 a month for gas and ‘leccy.
    This was reduced last year from £100 plus, when I was REALY in credit!
    The meter reader has just been this week, so should be getting a balance type thing, so should probably say “hope im in credit”
    Sulks off to turn heating down and snuggle up with dog…

takisawa2

We have a timed thermostat so technically the heating is “on” all the time, its just set at a different temp according to the stat. Overnight is set at 18c, during the day 17c. Living hours set at 19c / 20c.

In my experience the timed stat is cheaper than heating from cold whenever the heating comes on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Heating has to stay on. I’m sorry, it’s too cold. What about yours?’ is closed to new replies.