Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • heated windscreen chip repair? talk to moi…
  • cookeaa

Had a look at a sensibly priced, C-max this afternoon at a dealer, all seemed good apart from the fact that I spotted an unrepared chip pretty much dead centre in the heated windscreen.

Mentioned it to the dealer and he said he’d “look into it” whatever that means…

Just so I know, how well do heated screens put up with a resin repair?

Should I insist they sort it before we buy it, or just demand a discount?

Thoughts, experiences, advice STW motorists?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Had a chip and crack appear in the heated screen of a Mondeo, Autoglassed it through the insurance company for the £50 fee and they just did a straight swap for a new windsceen.

garage-dweller

Make sure the whole screen works before you buy it if it matters to you.

My last replacement screen has developed a 18 inch wide dead spot the height of the screen. Guess which side it’s on?

We have had at least one repaired before and it was fine.

Bear in mind to can’t claim for this as it’s damage that would exist at the point the policy was taken out so make sure dealer sorts it before you buy of you go ahead

mark90
    Free Member

Had some chips repaired in my old Focus heated screen. No issues when I sold it a few years later.

bearnecessities

It’s only a problem if it’s…….*cough*….a Ford Fusion chips.

Rio

I’ve had a couple of chips repaired on heated screens. Last one was on a 2 week old car 🙁 . It was repaired invisibly by Autoglass, although they did also offer to replace the screen if I wanted.

cookeaa

Bear in mind to can’t claim for this as it’s damage that would exist at the point the policy was taken out so make sure dealer sorts it before you buy of you go ahead

That was precisely my thought, Autoglass said ~£95 for a resin repair, so I have something to try and beat them down with, plus P/X on my creaking old shitbox of a golf, means the costs could stack up in our favour.

Taking the SO to see it in a bit, she may well take against it (seems taken with the idea of a seven seater 🙄 ), but cheers for all the input chaps.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I bought a mondeo with a chip in the centre of the windscreen. it was outside any critical zone, it was still there 9 years later when i sold it. defo check that the heater elements still work, i so so miss heated front screen.

hora
    Free Member

Depends. I had a chip. As soon as the temperature really dropped and I whacked up the heating it spread.

A chip repair is now £60or £100 for a new screen.

Ask them to discount the price. If I’m buying reduce if its already mine keep driving till it spreads.

cookeaa

Bought it…

They’re repairing the screen and doing a Fresh MOT before I pick it up next week, takes a lot of the gamble away.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“A chip repair is now £60or £100 for a new screen.”

That depends on your insurance policy….and if it contains glass cover.

My van doesnt so i had to pay 230 quid for a new screen….. And it chipped dead centre a month later grrr….

hora
    Free Member

Whooa. Glass chap told me one bloke had three screens in one month.

If it happens again I’ll treat my cars screen/front like a series III Landrovers..

trail_rat
    Free Member

Id like to think its more likely that aftermarket glass is just shit.

Ive never sommuch as marked a windscreen in 10years of 10 year old cars…..

Change this one as it had become pockmarked to shit and was a pain in the dark nights with oncoming lights.

Within a month i have chipped it…..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘heated windscreen chip repair? talk to moi…’ is closed to new replies.