Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Heat Mouldable Shoes
  • weeble
    Free Member

If you buy heat mouldable shoes (thinking shimano road shoes) online how do you go about getting them moulded?

sillyoldman

Go to a Custom Fit dealer and ask them to fit them for you. They’ll charge you for it obviously – worth checking out that cost and comparing it with buying the shoes from them in the first place. If online is still cheaper, see if they’ll meet you in the middle?

weeble
    Free Member

Thought that would be case. Didn’t know if fitting was in a voucher form

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Some (Bonts for example) you can do in the oven. Or, get yourself a pair of Sidis which are so comfy they dont need heat moulding!

weeble
    Free Member

Already got Sidis, most likely to stay with Sidis. If have some Lake if I could find anyone that sold them

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Think the Lakes fit quite differently to the Sidis from what I’ve read. Was looking at some a while ago.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I looked at Bonts when buying a new set of shoes and found they looked and felt poor quality when I tried them on and considered this heat moulding to be a bit of a faff which also put be off, I the tried Sidi Wires and immediately noticed the difference in quality and comfort straight out of the box and they were on offer and same price as the Bonts. I have not regretted my decision to buy the Sidi’s and have had hundreds of comfy miles in them.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Spiuks and bont go in a domestic oven. I would have thought shimano are sinilar?

I found it very hard to get a low enough temperature in the oven though, and the heat moulding didn’t make much differebce to be honest

sillyoldman

Shimano use a specific fixed temp oven and a vacuum pump to actually mould the uppers and insole around your foot. All other brands are a bit less precise, and those with heat mouldable soles achieve this with a very high resin vs carbon content.

weeble
    Free Member

Think I’ll just go with the original plan and get some Sidi wires to replace my Ergo 2s

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Shimano use a specific fixed temp oven and a vacuum pump to actually mould the uppers and insole around your foot

Moulding the insole round your foot doesnt sounds ideal, that’d put me off.

If you’re going for Wires, they size up a bit different to the Ergo’s (think they’re a touch larger).

If I were you, I’d save the cash and get Ergo 3’s or Genius 6.6’s, since they’re all the same shoe, just with different fastening methods.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Heat Mouldable Shoes’ is closed to new replies.