Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Heartwarming threads of STW
  • matt_outandabout

There have bee a few threads on here that show the strength of community and care that lurks below unmolested banter, moderator baiting and wheel size debates.

Time for a celebration I think.

My first three
    Best bike build ever. http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-bike-build-with-a-difference

The gnusmas thread – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mrs-gnusmas-says-thankyou-to-you-all

Needing to reach out – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/friends-and-the-lack-of-depression-suicide-and-a-friendly-offer-of-a-brew

councilof10
    Free Member

When you absolutely have to deliver a triple-barrelled virtue signal, only a new thread will do… 🙄

jamj1974

Matt, I totally agree. Shows the community here at its best.

RustySpanner

councilof10 – Member
    When you absolutely have to deliver a triple-barrelled virtue signal, only a new thread will do…

Better than being a negative pain in the arse.
    Remarks like that don’t help anyone suffering from depression.
    A few negative comments can ruin someone’s day.

This place has helped me a lot this year.
    Keep on keeping on folks.

cloudnine
    Free Member

That thread about leaving the EU which involves lots of cake.. bringing the UK together in glorious harmony. To think the op of that was so torn and unsure..

Poopscoop

Rusty, I agree with that comment more than you know.

Anyway, yes, push coming to shove, this forum has some amazing people on it.

The forums actually mean an awful lot to me and not just for the dumb bike questions I have! Lol

Drac

When you absolutely have to deliver a triple-barrelled virtue signal, only a new thread will do…

Give it a **** rest.

Anyway, yes, push coming to shove, this forum has some amazing people on it.

This.

theotherjonv

on the basis that laughter is the best medicine, there’s only one winning currently.

I also think the chubclub one was excellent, some really supportive stuff and great results from that. In fact, I reckon that one should actually get the OP some sort of STW Christmas surprise (not food, obviously)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

What, no link to a thread about thrusting a red hot poker into someone’s chest? 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

It has and does often show humanity is still deep within us, sadly that’s too little reflected these days.

Good o ya MOAB, one of the nicer sort on here.

chakaping
    Free Member

Give it a **** rest.

You know who this bellend is, why is he not banned?

Cougar

If we banned people simply for being bellends the forum would be half empty.

Poopscoop

theotherjonv – Member
    on the basis that laughter is the best medicine, there’s only one winning currently.

Oi! 😀

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Need a hug hun?

Idiot.

It was Bullheart’s thread that stands out for me..

Drac

The mood I’m in I was very close.

matt_outandabout

It was Bullheart’s thread that stands out for me..

Good call.

I can’t tell if I should ignore muppets or be entertained…

Junkyard
    Free Member

How about just stopping him joining again ?

We all know how this ends again the only questions are
    1) when will you ban him?
    2) How long will it take for him to return?
    3) how long will that one last?

chakaping
    Free Member

This is disingenuous and you know it.

He’s a serial troll with a particularly unpleasant attitude. Trolling is supposedly banned. Get it done.

ElShalimo

matt – you’re right, there are some lovely people on here who try to help others when they need it most.
    Chapeau !!

tdog
    Free Member

This one is a bit below the belt but I’ll bite!

@councilof10 – let’s just hope you’re little one doesn’t develop depression or the like and that you teach it some manners.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I quite like it here, some people have accused me of stuff, some have been downright rotten, but they are few and far between, the majority feeling is of nice caring intelligent people. Its like a virtual pub or 6th form common room.

oldnpastit
    Poopscoop

On the topic of threads the one I remember the most, not because it has more merit than any other or anything, was gnusmas thread.

Truly incredible people on this forum.

Like plus says, this is my virtual “home”.

I’m a career for my mother and I simply can’t be out doing things most of the time. Stw let’s me be at home but still “adventuring” with the rest of you. 🙂

funkmasterp

This is the only form of social media I take part in. I came here five years ago to get some advice on my first bike build. Never dreamt I’d still be here on a more or less daily basis. It truly is a great place to hang out 95% of the time. The Gnusmas thread is proof of what a great community this place can be,

People on here who I’ve never met have helped me when I’ve been down, when my son had serious health issues and have made me laugh, get mad and taught me things in equal measure.

My daughter was born today and after updating my immediate family I posted on here. You might be a bunch of cockwombles (me included), but you’re my cockwombles 😉

Poopscoop

Hey, congratulations mate!

RichPenny
    Free Member

If we banned people simply for being bellends the forum would be half empty and unmoderated

QFT 😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

Poopscoop – Member

Yep, they even named her Ling, after your bird. 😉

Poopscoop

perchypanther – Member
    Poopscoop – Member
    Yep, they even named her Ling, after your bird.

Seriously, don’t even go there. 😀

matt_outandabout

Congratulations funky family!

Lol’s at poops bird…

somafunk

Well said matt, it’s unfortunate that certain forum users are trolls dicks but you have to see it from their perspective – this forum is the only place they can vent their social inadequacies as whenever they leave the confines of their home i imagine they are rather tired of being smacked in the face or told to “Oi – Just **** off will you”.

Must be very socially awkward being so full of needless spite and anger.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I loved the Gnusmas thread, a bunch of strangers (or strange folk) 😀
    helping each other. What’s not to like. 😀

matt_outandabout

What was the thread with the kid who needed a trike to get out with his brother? Dusty watching that video…

Ambrose

It was kinda cool when we managed to get a bike or two in Africa last Christmas. Hopefully somebody will set up a similar thread again this year.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The mood I’m in I was very close.

So bans are based on your mood then @Drac ?

orangespyderman

You’ll note that he didn’t.

gnusmas

Thanks everyone 🙂

The original thread was a genuine question about lights, i didn’t expect it to explode into what it did. I had no idea of the impact it would have on everyone.

I still read those threads occasionally, especially when i am feeling low, it still amazes me and gives me a bit of a lift.

Agree with the other thread choices, especially the bullheart one, amazing story.

Glad i am part of a community like this.

RustySpanner

Me too.

Ambrose drove 50 miles out of his way to find a necklace my niece had dropped at Brechfa.

Faith in humanity restored.

Look forward to riding and meeting up with you lot next time we’re down your way.
    🙂

jambalaya – Member

He’s a human being, doing a difficult, unpaid job for the benefit of the rest of us.

I think the phrase you were searching for is ‘Thank you’.

councilof10
    Free Member

chakaping – Member

I’ve been banned for calling people “bellends”…

Drac – Moderator
    Give it a **** rest.

I’ve even been ****ing banned for trying to evade the ****ing swear filter…

Junkyard – lazarus
    How about just stopping him joining again ?

We all know how this ends again the only questions are
    1) when will you ban him?
    2) How long will it take for him to return?
    3) how long will that one last?

And I’m constantly bullied by the likes of Junkyard and Chapaking for simply making a comment. So who are the real trolls of STW? Who are the real bullies?

Sure, I like to have a bit of fun and poke fun at some of the more po-faced, self-congratulatory posts on here, but as was mentioned earlier, this place is a bit like a pub. If you get someone standing on a barstool shouting “Cooeee, look at me! I’m so incredibly compassionate, liberal and amazeballs and I just want everyone to know, so I’m standing up here waving my arms about and being fabulous so you don’t forget how incredibly compassionate, liberal and amazeballs I am”, you’d probably find some cynical old goat (like me) sitting at the bar rolling his eyes and saying “pipe down princess!”

That’s life. We all have different views and different ways of expressing ourselves.

As far as I’m concerned, the OP sounded exactly like those facebook twits that post “I’m posting this for one hour to solve cancer. Which of my friends will like and share my status because we’ll have cancer solved by lunchtime if we all share it and make me go viral and give me 1000 likes which will be the highlight of my life and I’ll be able to tell the whole wide world that I solved cancer by posting crap on the internet… etc etc etc”.

But calling me a troll? Calling for me to be banned? Really??? I’m just sharing an opinion – exactly the same as the OP. It might not be the same as yours, in much the same way as the OP’s isn’t the same as mine. It might cause a bit of anger to rise in you, in much the same way that the OP’s post made a bit of sick rise in me. That’s life, we’re all different.

But constantly hounding a person, trying to draw him into an argument, trying to make him break the rules… THAT is trolling, THAT is bullying, and THAT is far worse than posting an eye-roll at a self-aggrandising post.

DezB
    Free Member

I kind of agreed with your first post councilof10, maybe for my own reasons – it’s just this STW posts about STW: weird, anal gazing. I didn’t feel the need to post though, I often don’t, cos you get people all narked for no reason. But, come on, bullying? I know you can take any online comment aimed at you just as I can! Well, otherwise you wouldn’t’ve posted that first response. And the twonks that use the word Troll everytime they disagree with someone. Well, they’re just a bit thick really.

perchypanther
    Free Member

anal gazing

Oooh, You must be really flexible.

Most of us just settle for our belly buttons.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Heartwarming threads of STW’ is closed to new replies.