Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Heart Rate, training and resources questions
  • geoffj

I started running again at the beginning of July. I’m trying to run 5-8k every day depending on time constraints etc. It’s going well, and I’ve persuaded myself to run every day in August.
    I’m tracking progress with a Garmin 935 and HR-Run strap and Garmin Connect.
    I’ve seen improvements in VO2 Max and a reduction in my resting heart rate which I’m pleased about.
    During my runs, my max and average heart rates have reduced. I’m now struggling to increase my max and average hr during the runs – I find it hard to increase pace although sprint intervals help.
    I’m guessing that my heart and lungs are now relatively fitter than my legs and are no longer the limiting factors and so I need to mix up my training to get my heart rate up again.
    I’m considering adding spin and circuit classes and maybe some ergo work into the mix, but is there anything obvious I’m missing?

Also are there any good blogs/resources I can read up on with the latest thinking?

Ta

wilburt
    Free Member

I think your max is your max and wont increase. You should be looking to increase your threshold, the maximum you can sustain for an hour.

I used the famous cycling book on such(someone will be along with the actual name) most of it will apply to running but theres bound to me something more specific.

imnotverygood

I think you are getting tired

finephilly
    Free Member

Overtraining. Do your times stay the same, even if you run more? I would cut out a couple of days in favour of rest.

v8ninety

I’ve taken up running recently, (not anywhere near with the same enthusiasm you have, fwiw) and I’ve found similar, that my HR takes longer to go up and is harder work to get up to the old maximum. I’m not sure whether this is permanent or temporary, but I’m not worrying about it too much and just taking it as a sign that my training is having an effect, which can only be a good thing.

footflaps

I used the famous cycling book on such(someone will be along with the actual name) most of it will apply to running but theres bound to me something more specific.

One of Joe Friel’s many Training Bibles?

geoffj

I think your max is your max and wont increase.

I’m not talking about my absolute max HR, just the max hr I’m reaching during my run.

Overtraining is possible, but surely 45 mins a day isn’t too much?

imnotverygood

Depends on how hard you are pushing it. Especially if your base fitness wasn’t up to much beforehand. You get fitter on your rest days

geoffj

Imnotverygood – you talk sense, I’ll have a think.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Heart Rate, training and resources questions’ is closed to new replies.