Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • heart rate monitors
  • pegasus
    Free Member

Any one use one? How do they help? Sorry for such a general question but I'm a bit baffled by the advertising!

ourmaninthenorth

Yes.

I ride mainly on the road, and have been using it as a training aid. The key is not to have one showing you a load of otherwise meaningless data, but to know why you want one.

For me, I have an upper limit based on my threshold (i.e. the point beyond which I go all anaerobic), which is useful. At HTN the other day, it was beeping like hell as I carried up the 45 degree slope after the field.

I have memorized where I need to be in terms of zones for most of my training (esp on the turbo) and otherwise just use it as useful post-ride data. It's quite nice to know that, say 12 months ago, for a given effort my HR was x, but now it's x munis y beats. Shows I'm getting fitter.

I have a Polar CS300 (not sure they make it any more) which is a watch that also works as a bike computer, so I can wear it for general exercise as well as riding.

cynic-al
    Free Member

As above, handy/fun if you want to do a bit of training, essential (IMO) to get the most out of training rides and take it more seriously.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pegasus
    Free Member

I ride both on and off road, but on road I'm always comparing times (I commute by bike). I've got two favourite road loops. One is 34 miles and basically flat. I can do it in 1h 55m. The other is 40 miles and hilly and can do it in 2h 35m. But I don't seem able to beat these times, they've been like that for about 3 years! Obviously they came down by a chunk at first but they're stuck. I was wondering if more specific training is needed and if a HRM will provide it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You need to train properly – do intervals etc.

An HRM will help you do so specifically, but you don't need one, and it's no magic wand neither.

You may find riding in a local chain gang will help fitness significantly.

geoffj

I find this useful:

It's by no means essential reading, but does explain the theory and provide some pointers for effective training.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I've used one for the past 10 years or so, but I use it to record what I've been doing rather than take any notice of it while I'm actually riding. I'm currently using a Garmin Edge 705 and that records where I've been as well.

pegasus
    Free Member

and it's no magic wand neither.

As I was fearing!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘heart rate monitors’ is closed to new replies.