• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by aP.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Heart rate monitoring
  • mikejd

I have recently signed up to a spin class, 3 sessions so far. I have also bought an HR monitor, used it for the last session. Now I’m confused over the readings.

For my age, my estimated max heart rate should be 152-158 (depending on formula used). My readings for the session were max 171, avg 142 for a 1.06 hour period. I felt completely comfortable with the session, like I’d had a good workout. If I was trying to keep my HR down to the figures suggested I’d just be bimbling. I haven’t had my blood pressure measured for some months and can’t remember the exact figures but they were more or less normal and no high blood pressure.

Should I be worried/stop going? I haven’t been to the doc in case he says to stop when I’m enjoying the workout and I feel it is benefiting me.

leffeboy

Yep, completely normal. Many folks on here are very similar with Max higher than the formula. If you feel comfortable I wouldn’t be worried. I’m not a doctor of course

mikejd

Thanks, leffeboy.

whitestone
    Free Member

The only way for you to know your MHR is by doing a test. The formulae are just generic guesses, typically for sedentary individuals.

According to the formulae my MHR should be 162 – 166 depending on which one is used. Give me a long enough hill and I can keep it at 172 for several minutes so my true MHR is probably somewhere between 180 & 185.

teamslug
    Free Member

I’m 50, reasonably fit. 11.5 stone. My max is 175bpm. That’s not calculated but actual ( done on turbo with vomit to follow!!).

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve found my max is higher than the common formulas this year for someone 43, my Polar HRM has had several 188 readings and at least 189.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

The formulas are poop and the scientists who came up with the 220 minus age admitted so later on. They were pressed at the time to come up with something and plucked this out the air.

jonnyboi

late forties, max HR is 200. The rough guide is hopelessly inaccurate

tillydog
    Free Member

Why do you want to know your max HR?

If it’s for setting training zones, there are other ways to do it:

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/11/quick-guide-to-setting-zones.html

(FWIW, the 220-age thing does seem roughly right for me.)

jonba
    Free Member

220- age is pretty much spot on for me. Should be 186 but is actually 185.

Look at the zones info above as there are better and worse ways to train. Just coming out knackered might not be the most effective. Things like resting heart rate, recovery, sustainable effort are also important.

aP
    Free Member

I’m late 40s, I can exceed 200bpm for a period as long as I’ve warmed up properly.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Heart rate monitoring’ is closed to new replies.