Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Heart rate monitor with GPS
  • littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I'm considering a heart rate monitor with an inbuilt GPS, but, tbh, it's been so long since I've had a monitor the technology has changed massively….and now I don't even know where to start. A lot of the newer models seem to be getting mixed reviews, it seems they may be a little over-engineered? I want reliable and simple….any input will be greatly appreciated.

In particular I would like a wrist watch system (definitely no chest strap cos they never fitted me at the best of times) which will calculate my heart rate max, min and average, distance and speed. Meterage would also be good, but not a necessity.

Any ideas??

Rona

For reliability in HRMs Polar is a good choice. Have used various models over the years for work and personal use with very few problems. If you want a GPS model you are likely looking at one which requires a chest strap though. Polar now have fully fabric chest straps (WearLink) rather than the ones with the hard plastic front section. The newer straps provide a much better fit for the smaller person, and are also available in a small size. They do a couple of GPS sensors which are compatible with various monitors … http://www.polar.fi/en/

DaveGr
    Free Member

I phoned these people http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/ and they were very good talking thru what the options were for the HRM I wanted. And they were cheaper than anywhere else.

Why do you want GPS? if you only want distance / speed then sensors on the bike will give you that. GPS will complicate things and push the price up.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

which will calculate my heart rate max, min and average, distance and speed. Meterage would also be good, but not a necessity.

Suunto T6/T6C – pretty much the only one that would look reasonable as a "normal" watch. For that functionality with GPS as well, then its Garmin, but not really something that you'd ever want to wear as a day to day watch.

You aint gonna get a decent HR without a chest strap, but the Suunto comfort strap is better than most.

RepacK
    Free Member

Depends what you want one for, is it soley for running? In which case a Suunto T3 with a foot-pod works pretty well. Its very very easy to set uo & will tell you how far you have gone (miles or k's). If you really have to have a GPS system how about the Garmin Edge 305? Mounts on the bars of your bike or even put it in your pocket.

Unfortunately you went find a HR monitor that works w/o a belt (I dont think).

mtbmatt
    Free Member

The new Edge 500 looks amazing. If your not interested in mapping then that might be the best option. I have an Edge 705 and think its the best bit of kit I've used in the last few years.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Cheers for the input, I'll look into the options 🙂

The wearlink straps sound much better than the old plastic ones.

I'm not too worried about GPS I guess, the distance/speed/HR calculations which will work on the MTB bike and when I run (very rarely) are really what I am looking for. I'm not planning on having any kind of major training plan, but no doubt it'll be useful as a guide to keep me in a good place and to give me a bit of a kick up the arse! I used to use my old polar one a lot and found it great, even for the simple stuff like keeping an eye on resting heart rates.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Garmins…with the 305 being great, but the 405 being a bit of a disaster unless you don't want to fiddle with it when it rains.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Heart rate monitor with GPS’ is closed to new replies.