Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Heart Rate Monitor for Turbo training
  • AndyRT
    Free Member

Don't need anything fancy, but it has t work, so I can stay in the fat burning part of the burn…..I have a long long long long long way to go to become lean.

Which brands and what price to pay?

mmccarthy
    Free Member

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001801&productId=1500506563&langId=-1&engine=froogle&keyword=Polar+FS2C+Heart+Rate+Monitor+-+Black&_$ja=tsid:11527|cc:|prd:9003565|cat:Health+Monitors+And+Aids

Got one of those, can't complain. A while later got myself a Polar cycling computer which was great because it uses the same transmitter. Also when you're at the gym, the machines read the heartrate of Polar transmitters so you don't have to hold onto those silly metal handles.

Joe-B
    Free Member
    Radioman

For a "non fancy" monitor I bought a SIGMA. The big advantage in my opinion over the Polar ones is that you can change both the watch and chest strap battery yourself. With the Polar ones you have to send the waist strap away. I used to have a Polar but the battery wore out, and I think the Sigma much better value. This ones less than fifty quid.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7977

RepacK
    Free Member

Fat burning zone is bollox Im afraid to say:

"In many magazines and fitness studios one always reads or hears: “If you want to lose weight, you should exercise in the fat burning zone. The only way to reduce body fat is to exercise with a low heart rate (ca. 120-130). Whoever exercises with a high heart rate will not lose any fat.”

How could this incorrect information be circulated so often?

The problem is that no distinction has been made between absolute and relative fat consumption.

An example:

a)
    A person jogs on the treadmill at a low speed. The heart rate is in the fat burning zone (heart rate = 120/min = 60% of maximal heart frequency). At this intensity level, the body gets ca. 80% of the required energy from the burning of fat and the remaining 20% from the burning of carbohydrates. During this workout the body uses about 8 kilocalories of energy a minute.

30 minutes exercise
    => 30 min x 8 kcal/min
    = 240 kcal energy consumption

80% of 240 kcal = 192 kcal
    => 192 kcal : 9 kcal/g
    = 21 g fat burnt

20% of 240 kcal = 42 kcal
    => 42 kcal : 4 kcal/g
    = 11 g carbohydrates burnt

b)
    On another treadmill, a different person is running at a higher speed and therefore has a higher heart rate (heart rate = 160/min = 80% of the maximal heart frequency). At this intensity level, the body gets ca. 50% of the required energy from the burning of fat and the remaining 50% from the burning of carbohydrates. During this workout the body uses about 18 kilocalories of energy a minute.

30 minutes exercises
    => 30 min x 18 kcal/min
    = 540 kcal energy consumption

50% of 540 kcal = 270 kcal
    => 270 kcal : 9 kcal/g
    = 30 g fat burnt

50% of 540 kcal = 270 kcal
    => 270 kcal : 4 kcal/g
    = 68 g carbohydrates burnt

As a result of the low energy consumption of the body in example “a”, the absolute amount of burnt fat is less than in example “b” even though the relative energy extraction of fat is higher.

However, weight loss depends on the absolute amount of burnt fat. Although relativ less energy is taken from fat as the physical load increases, the total calorie consumption increases to such an extent that the absolute amount of fat used is higher.

So you can forget everything you have ever heard with regard to fat burning heart rates and fat burning. It only depends on the total amount of calories burnt. Therefore you can exercise at a heart rate that you are comfortable with. The ideal heart rate for beginners is usually a low one. Beginners are usually not fit enough to exercise for longer periods of time if the heart rate is too high.

Do not forget that exercise can last a lot longer if done with a lower heart rate than a higher one. This means that you burn more calories if you go walking for an hour than if you go jogging for 10 minutes and stop because you have exhausted yourself."

Dont forget its also what you eat as well..

However crack on mate & good luck with the training just be aware of all the myths regarding fat burning & the like..

aracer
    Free Member

Just ignoring the question you think you're asking. You mention the "fat burning zone" in relation to losing weight. You do realise that staying in that zone is far from being the most efficient way to lose weight?

AndyRT
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for your answers!!!

I dug out the November 2008 Singletrack which had Mr Hart's version of how to use a turbo. I tried the 1 leg circles thing, and only managed 4 repetitions! It really hurt 😳 going over the top on each stroke, but my pedalling really improved as a result. I'll check out HRMs on the basis it will help me get the most out of myself.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Heart Rate Monitor for Turbo training’ is closed to new replies.