Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Heart rate experiment…
  • zzrmatt
    Free Member

I have some wacky stuff with my autonomic nervous system which means that during a flare up my heart rate goes from 45bpm lying down to 130bpm standing up along with a load of other mad thing. I’ve not seen any data sets of normal healthy peops change in HR in going from supine to standing. I’m assuming that for most people there wont be much change.

If any of you have a few mins to spare I would be quite interested if you could lye down for a couple of mins, take your heart rate, stand up (and stand still) for 3 mins and then take your heart rate again. I just really want to work out just how broken I am!

Superficial
    Free Member

That’s not a normal response. At least not if you’re fairly well hydrated. A few bpm – or even 20-100m given your low resting HR – would be normal.

In sure someone else will, so I might as well mention POTS at this stage,which you may wish to read around, although there are a lot of other factors to consider before you get to a diagnosis. Depending how symptomatic you are, you may wish to see a doctor/ ideally a cardiologist.

The GMC says I need to say that I am a doctor, but crucially I’m not YOUR doctor. So do not take this as any sort of professional advice.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Rapid standing and yes my heart will race. I’ll also feel light headed. So I don’t do it.

Like everything that’s gone downhill, happened mid 30s to 40. Before then used to be able to leap up from sleep without a problem. Circulation gone to pot. Used to be able to sit on legs or cross legged without major pins and needles too, but impossible now.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We had a prisoner on our wing the other day who’s heartbeat was 160bpm, this was at 09.00 after he’d had his medication. He was standing still & looking vacant. I thought he’d been on some NPS but he reckoned it was normal.

Any ideas?

zzrmatt
    Free Member

Superficial, I know all about POTS! Just interested what “normal” peoples delta is.

How does a BP of 130/70 in my right arm and 180/110 in the left when measured at the same time with two machines take you? Its completely repeatable when episodic and its not me taking the readings… Along with dialated left pupil and pin point right pupil? Its all episodic and happens more if I try and exercise. Its bloody tedious!

Neuro and cardiology chaps are a bit stumped but agree something is strange but the only advice is to suck it up!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Along with dialated left pupil and pin point right pupil?

You’re channelling the ghost of David Bowie?

sirromj

(deleted dumb comment)

Superficial
    Free Member

Superficial, I know all about POTS! Just interested what “normal” peoples delta is.

There isn’t really one. If you do a “head up tilt table test” where the person is raised passively (ie no exertion required), then you don’t see a jump in heart rate. <20bpm is defined as normal anyway. I’m sure someone will have published lots of data on this if you really want to look it up.

therevokid
    Free Member

if any of this helps … lying down 52bpm, sat up goes to low 60’s. brisk walk to the shops for a pint of milk and the paper gets to just over the
    100 mark. normal range when on the bike is 80-182.
    blood pressure ranges from 110/60 to 120/80

this is

Flaperon

Lying down: 52.
    Standing up: 44.

No, I don’t know why either and I apologise for the spanner thrown into your nice neat graph.

johnj2000
    Free Member

@Flaperon – but were you alone when lying down? 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Heart rate experiment…’ is closed to new replies.