Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Heart bypass operation – anyone had one
  • oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Experience, recovery etc

chewkw
    Free Member

I think two of my colleagues had double bypass (I think double) both recovered very well. I could see their facial complexion lighten up after their heart bypass. If I can recall they only took several months off to recover.

One became alcoholic and chain smoker after the bypass due to grieving (wife died) while the other is still working happily to this day.

I think one is over 60 and the other 55.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

I want to hear “it made me feel I was 21 again” probably wishful thinking

chewkw
    Free Member

oldmanmtb – Member
    I want to hear “it made me feel I was 21 again” probably wishful thinking

I think the bypass did make them feel younger but they were told by the doctors to take it slowly in the first few months upon their return to work.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

I hear mostly positive stuff, but the people I encounter who have had it done tend to be a lot older and less active than me. Don’t fancy having my chest split if it’s not going to have a major benefit

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I would have thought that having the blood flow freely through your arteries unimpeded would be ‘a major benefit’.

And I can’t imagine that it wouldn’t make you feel better, younger, and fitter.

Why else do it?

Still I’m not a doctor, never had a bypass op, and never had blocked arteries.

What does your cardiologist say?

chewkw
    Free Member

oldmanmtb – Member
    I hear mostly positive stuff, but the people I encounter who have had it done tend to be a lot older and less active than me. Don’t fancy having my chest split if it’s not going to have a major benefit

I doubt they are less active than you coz both my colleagues were Not administrative staff or doing office desk job. They were porters/general maintenance/cleaners/security officer all roll in one and had to work non-stop the whole day from 8am onward.

One of the politician in the far east had quadruple heart bypass in his 70s and now he is in his 90s. He is still strong.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think Thatcher’s blood bypassed her heart too.

chewkw
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    I think Thatcher’s blood bypassed her heart too.

See! That made her strong to whip the backside of her opponents coz they were all told to dance.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

David Ginola: Former France winger has quadruple heart bypass – http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36340327

Not a doctor here but….
    There is obviously a reason they are suggesting this for you? Probably better at a time of your choice than cpr and a helicopter ride you won’t remember?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Not really getting much feedback from the consultant – he is just vague on the best course of treatment and I feel like I have to demand each and every step.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

He seems reluctant to give me an angiogram and he said I quote “even with a set of angiogram results I am not sure what course of action we would take” not exactly confidence giving

chewkw
    Free Member

oldmanmtb – Member
    Not really getting much feedback from the consultant – he is just vague on the best course of treatment and I feel like I have to demand each and every step.

Go get second or third opinions from other doctors/consultant whoever.

oldmanmtb – Member
    He seems reluctant to give me an angiogram and he said I quote “even with a set of angiogram results I am not sure what course of action we would take” not exactly confidence giving

Does he like to open you up to see inside you?

Can’t you go somewhere to check it out?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Second opinion may be valid but also honesty from medical people can come across a vague. His real opinion probably is the angiogram won’t tell him you don’t need it or if you will so a pointless procedure.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I had a double bypass 6 years ago at the age of 47. Had 4 or 5 stents fitted but still not right, so had another angiogram and was told I needed a bypass. Quite scary!
    I think then they had to perform the op within 13 weeks, which they did, just, at St Georges, Tooting.
    I went in on the Tuesday, had the op on wednesday, moved out of intensive care on thursday and back home on friday.
    I had to sleep semi upright in a deckchair for two weeks as it was too painful to lie down and get up again.
    They gave me two boxes of Co-codamol painkillers just in case, but I didn’t get halfway through the first box. The worst pain was having hiccups the day after the op!

I was told recovery would take 6 months but it took nearly a year before I was back at work (Joiner) during which I lost about a stone in muscle mass from my upper body.
    I was kept on meds (Bisoprolol, Ramipril) for a while afterwards so still felt like shit and could only mince around on a bike, but by coincidence, on the third anniversary of the op found myself at the foot of a 700 foot climb. It took me over an hour, with a couple of dozen stops, but it was a turning point. I packed in the meds and within 6 months I did feel 21 again and have been OK ever since. The climb now takes me 15 mins.

As with all surgery there were risks of pegging out but if needed I’d have another in a, er, heartbeat. Compared to the experiences of some other patients it sounds like a simple procedure.
    If you don’t have an angiogram, how do they know what they’re looking for? They are incredibly detailed and revealing even to an untrained eye.

Good luck!

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Cheers suburbanreuban

zippykona

My father in law had one in his 80s.
    The staff responsible for his op were fantastic and highly professional.
    He was then discharged from hospital with no back up or aftercare in place.
    Make sure your aftercare is sorted before you have the op. He sat around for weeks without knowing if he should take it easy or start exercising.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Get well soon.

metalheart
    Free Member

Like zippykona my old boy had a (double) bypass after a pulmonary oedema (either late, late 70’s or 80).

He definitely struggled a bit with what to do, especially as where they took the vein out of his leg wouldn’t heal, but got back on track once he got put into the rehab cycle. He got back to playing golf (although he needed a powered buggy) and bowls. Pretty sure he’s on beta blockers as a result. Not sure what else. At his age he has a host of other issues (diabetes) but in truth it’s the lung cancer that’s stopped him in his tracks… 🙁 😥

Guess if you go for it, make sure you get a proper post op plan and know what you’re supposed to do and by when.

Good luck!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

My post op care was excellent. I was told exactly what I should and shouldn’t be doing at weekly stages, gym sessions were arranged (I believe some health authorities offer free gym membership and personal trainer sessions!), and nutrition and health education courses offered. Some of the info was a bit basic and obvious but some was fascinating. The best bit was meeting up with others in the same boat and sharing encouragement and progress. Physically and mentally it’s a life changing event and hearing others’ experiences and plans was a real boost.

ton

not had a bypass but i had open heart surgery to cure permenant atrial fibrilation, which also causes similar symptoms to blocked arteries.

prior to my surgery i could not exercise with any proper effort. i passed out whilst trying. i felt 100% better after surgery. finding it hard to breathe whilst walking uphill and up stairs is not a nice feeling.
    why would you not want that fixing?

i left hospital 1 week after my surgery, i had to sleep sat up for 2 weeks once home. codine eased the pain.
    i did pass out after sneezing on the 3rd day at home. i was back on the bike after 3 week, went on a gentle cycle tour in scotland.

get it done and crack on with your life. good luck.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Cheers Ton think it’s going to get done (although I will have to tell them to do it?)

chewkw
    Free Member

oldmanmtb – Member

How old are you if I may ask? (assuming “oldmanmtb” means very old?)

Good luck and get well.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

jambalaya
    Free Member

Oldman – get another opinion if you wish, as you say its a massive surgery. A good friend had one as an emergency and he lived another 10 years, without it he would have died. I can’t imagine you’d be recommended one unless they really felt it was necessary. Good luck and being active is a positive, you may well have to slow down a bit but the alternative is worse, a lot worse.

BTW when you are done perhaps we should go for a ride, I am sure you’ll be speedy vs me so that should make you feel better

chewkw
    Free Member

oldmanmtb – Member

That is not old.
    Old should be retirement age.

mrhoppy

Mrs hoppy did, has made a difference to her energy levels but it took her 12 weeks before she was allowed to lift as it was full open, and 6 months before she was properly back up to speed.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oldmanmtb, gimme a shout if ye need a hand with anything or owt when yer recovering, as I think your close by?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Near Scotch Corner nobeer

ton

re what mrhoppy say’s, i think the 12 week rest thing is a general guide they give you.
    my surgeon told me to listen to my body, not do anything stupid, and not heavy lifting, pulling or stretching.
    oh and my scar runs from belly button to throat, with some nice metal clips under the skin in my sternum.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Scars are good (pub bragging rights)

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Chicks dig scars!

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Not on Uncle Fester ?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Heart bypass operation – anyone had one’ is closed to new replies.