Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Heart attack recovery and cooking.
  • bodgy
    Free Member

Dad had a heart attack last week. He was hospitalised, had an angiogram and stent fitted yesterday, back home today.

He’s a bit of a foodie, loves to cook and really needs to lose weight. Obviously he’s been advised about the standard things (low carb, low sugar, low fat, low dairy and red meat) but to him that’ll just be a list of banned stuff. I want to capture his imagination about healthy eating – Japanese and Mediterranean diets seem quite suitable.

Have you any cookery style or cookbook recommendations for someone in dad’s situation?

Ioneonic

http://www.cardiologistskitchen.com is a good place to start.

pocpoc
    Free Member

I think a lot of Joe Wicks’ stuff is low carb, low fat.
    It’s pushing the lean / losing weight side of things but without the full on restrictive diet talk I believe.

midlifecrashes

Having just been diagnosed with high blood pressure and started treatment, I’ve been googling a bit. The DASH diet and variations come up a lot, putting the emphasis on lots of variation of colour and texture of veg, low starch(spuds/rice/bread) and protein being a bit lower than I’m used to, and a good amount of the fruit and veg to be raw or close to.

molgrips
    Free Member

Spicy things – mexican, tex mex…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Spicy things – mexican, tex mex Thai, Vietnamese…

Much healthier IMO.

weeksy

Mrs Weeksy is on Joe Wicks 90 day plan and losing insane and bonkers weight/inches.

It involves masses of prep and indeed expense….

but it’s brutally effective.

bodgy
    Free Member

Thanks all, and thanks in advance. Keep it coming. 🙂

bodgy
    Free Member

weeksy – I guess Dad could get some use from the recipes from Joe Wicks’ book – the High Intensity Interval Training isn’t suitable for somebody who’s recovering from a heart attack, tho.

weeksy

Agree with that Bodgy 🙂

My comment was more about the expense and the time, I seem to be washing dishes of epic proportions every time i walk into the house. !

cloudnine
    Free Member

Cut out sugar and massively moderate alcohol.
    Sugar is the evil additive that makes us fat.
    Smaller portions, cut down on dairy.

Get him active.

bodgy
    Free Member

weekly – He’s retired – he’ll be fine with that! 😆

dougal365 – That is a great site. Thank you! Much appreciated.

alanf
    Free Member

Get him active.

This^^^^

Has he got a cardiac rehab program to go to?
    If not, find him one locally.

Inactivity

Of course the healthy eating will also play a part in recovery and help healthwise in the longer term.

Good luck and I hope he makes a good recovery.
    I suffered a similar fate last year which was a major shock at 42, but I’m back on track now and doing the VLM in a few weeks.
    My consultant couldn’t emphasis enough the need to keep active.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Heart attack recovery and cooking.’ is closed to new replies.