• This topic has 83 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Hear Ye, Hear Ye, the COTSWOLD POOTLE – 27/1/13
  • IHN

Slightly later than promised, but here’s the plan for another day of bike-based fun and frolicks.

– we be rollin’ on Sunday the 27th
    – start is at the market square in Northleach
    – wheels roll at 10:30 sharp.
    – there’s parking on the square (possibly Pay and Display, not sure) and along main street
    – there is a choice of pubs for post-pootle refreshments

As always, we will be observing The Rules of Pootle as laid down by His Pookness (may he forever bathe in rose water).

1) if you’re fast, hold the gates and count the folks through
    2) if you’re slow – have something to talk about with the other 20 people with you
    3) bring cake

Pootles aren’t a typical ‘group ride’. I started them ‘cos I hated being the person at the back. I wanted a group ride for the people at the back. There aren’t any people at the back in a pootle.

The route is mainly country lanes and tracks, entirely newbie friendly. The ‘gnarr’ element is very low, the ‘pleasantly bimbling around in the countryside’ element is very high. Not sure of the length, meant to check this morning but I forgot (if anyone has the Nick Cotton Cotswold MTB routes book, it’s in there). We’ll be out for 3-4 hours though I’d have thought.

So, there you go. Be there or be square (or doing something else warmer and dryer probably…)

rOcKeTdOg

*switches monitoring to this thread*

eugeo81
    Free Member

Sounds like my cup of tea this..

IHN

And you know what goes well with tea? Cake, see rule 3 🙂

I should have added, in anticipation of the usual “I’m new to STW/MTB/pootling, can I come?” type questions: Yes, you can, all welcome.

monksie
    Free Member

If I can get a train home again (getting there is easy enough – pedal) I’ll come along if that’s OK?

solarpowered
    Free Member

Bum! Can’t get Monday off for travelling home 🙁
    Have a fabulous time all!

eugeo81
    Free Member

Right I’m provisionally in. I’m gonna make the trip down from Stourbridge.

chvck
    Free Member

Oh man would have loved to come on this! Really want to find more riding in the area but I’m at the Dyfi Warm Up instead.

mboy
    Free Member

I should have added, in anticipation of the usual “I’m new to STW/MTB/pootling, can I come?” type questions: Yes, you can, all welcome.

Even if I bring a small army? Might well have a few people wanna come and do this one…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m going to have to give this one a miss. Can’t really justify spending on petrol to get there when I don’t have a job.
    Have fun! 🙂

IHN

Bum! Can’t get Monday off for travelling home

Come down and stay Saturday night with your baldy loverboy, go back after the pootle. We’ll be done pootling by mid-afternoon.

EDIT – you can bring your little hairy babies too, someone will be only too pleased to see them…

If I can get a train home again (getting there is easy enough – pedal) I’ll come along if that’s OK?

Yep, cool. Not sure where the nearest station is though (we can get you a lift to one though if needs be I’d have thought)

Even if I bring a small army?

Yeah, no problem. As long as it’s not an actual army, obviously.

tang
    Free Member

if mrs tang and baby tang no3 are out of hospital by then and ok im in. sounds like just what i need!

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Nearest Station is Cheltenham/Oxford/Swindon or Moreton-in-marsh or kemble.Nothing to close.

IHN

Okay, I’ve checked in the book and the route’s 28km with a massive 400m height gain…

missnotax
    Free Member

I might come along for this – i’m liking the inclusion of cake 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

I could check how old you really look 🙂

Not committing yet though

missnotax
    Free Member

Ha ha 😆

It’s the combination of biking, cake and (hopefully!) chatting to some nice new people that did it for me. 3 of my favourite things 🙂

Pook

I can’t make it – miniPook imminent then….

binners

Can’t make this weekend fella. Parental duties 🙁

IHN

I might come along for this – i’m liking the inclusion of cake

Yay! 🙂

I can’t make it – miniPook imminent then….

Can’t make this weekend fella. Parental duties

Boo… 🙁

Sandwich

“Only” 170 miles away, I wonder…..

Feed added to Newsreader to keep an eye on it.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

The Biking and cake bits fine.Its the chatting to nice new people is the worrying bit!!!!!!.This is the Cotswolds you know.Strange folk up on those hills 😀

missnotax
    Free Member

It’s ok, I live in the New Forest, i’m well practiced at this 😉

MartynS

Logistics sorted… a day trip is in order!

Be warned there will be northerners moving amongst you..

Bunnyhop

When the weather gets better ( if) then I/we would like to partake of a southern pootle.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

When the weather gets better there is a classic pootle to do which would include some excellent singletrack in Cranham woods/then XC to Lecky etc.Needs to be dry to get the best out of Cranham.Hay Ho summers coming 😆

mrmo
    Free Member

When the weather gets better

sorry you lost me there?

Bunnyhop

If 😳

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

It can only get better surely :D.Cant get any worse.It was good off road on the last Saturday of October 2012.Thats the last time the Cotswolds was dry.So you know it can be dry its just when and how long you have to wait 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

So you know it can be dry its just when and how long you have to wait

I seem to remember dry weather sometime in 2010? but not sure anymore, it might have been a dream.

solarpowered
    Free Member

The baldy boss….. He say YES!!! Yippee!

EDIT – you can bring your little hairy babies too, someone will be only too pleased to see them…

The hairy babies will have to stay at home I’m afraid, too much travelling for such a short trip. Maybe you and your lovely lady would like to take advantage of the wonderful single tracks here in north Manchester and hairy baby sit some time?!?!? Hmmmmm…. Just an idea 😉

lump

I think im in, first STW ride !

MartynS

The baldy boss….. He say YES!!! Yippee!

hang on a minute….. oh never mind.. 😉

IHN

Yeah, that’s not on, is it? There’s no way you’re the boss 🙂

I’ll see if I can persuade Mrs MTG to make this our first “away from home” tandem ride.

Any kids going on this ?
    We’re trying to get Mrs MTG’s 13 year old daughter in to mountain biking.
    She doesn’t like being with old people, such as Mrs MTG and myself, but might be persuaded if there’s other teenagers there.

IHN

The little lady would argue that I have the mentality of a 13 year old if that helps.

She’d be more than welcome though. The little lady is coming and she’s a newbie and, well, a (34 year old) girl if that helps…

IHN

Friday morning bump.

Being a middle-class w@nker, I’m off skiing next week. So, if someone could give this a bump while I’m away that would be super.

solarpowered
    Free Member

Bump…..! Does this mean I get the bottle of wine instead of the baldy boss?!
    8)
    Can’t wait!

rOcKeTdOg

Bump

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Hear Ye, Hear Ye, the COTSWOLD POOTLE – 27/1/13’ is closed to new replies.