• This topic has 26 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Healthy food for office lunch – recommendations.
  • danjthomas
    Free Member

I try to eat healthy Monday to Friday in work simply because I like it and I don’t want tesco sandwiches to catch up with my midriff.

Can anyone recommend me something that isn’t cous cous and tuna and soup!! Budget… A few quid a day ans can be microwaved!!

Suggestions are welcome.

garage-dweller

River Cottage Everyday has a load of options in it like salads and home made hummus, flat breads etc.

Couple of thoughts from me:

Tabular Ksir (or however it’s spelt).
    Quinoa
    New potatoes, leaves (watercress), cucumber and a bit of hot smoked salmon or mackerel plus dressing
    Pasta cooked and tossed with fried chorizo, chili and cherry tomatoes in a good lug of oil (healthy????)

mikey74
    Free Member

Just buy a medium sized tupperware box and fill it with the salad components of your choice. I then cover mine in a liberal helping of extra virgin olive oil and mix in some chilli coated seeds from Sainsburys.

I add tuna to mine but you can add chicken, another type of fish, hard boiled eggs, off-the-bone ham: Whatever you want.

pondo

+1 for salad. I had cheese or mackeral too – ten minutes to make and have it however you want. 🙂

mogrim

If you’ve got a microwave in the office things like stews are quite easy and healthy, cook it at home and reheat when you get in. You can also make up loads at the weekend and then freeze it in batches.

Drac

samuri
    Free Member

strangely, Drac’s choice isn’t bad. Remove the can of pop and that’s a good meal because it’s low in sugar. High in fat but even the british medical journal now accept that all this high fat nonsense is a load of rubbish and the real evil is sugar.

He’s a fat bastard though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We had a pastie shop down the road, mmm pasties – we did walk there

Generally when pushed I would use the concept of taking some of last nights dinner.

mikey74
    Free Member

and the real evil is added sugar such as high fructose syrup.

FTFY

samuri
    Free Member

All added sugar.

jodafett

Ive been buying “ready to eat” packets of Quinoa or lentils recently. Gourmet Merchant is the brand. I make up a dressing and add some sweetcorn, coriander etc, take it to work and its great cold. Sainsburys do packets of Lentils and kidney beans which are also nice with a dressing.

mikey74
    Free Member

All added sugar

That’s what I said. However, you still need sugar, just make sure it is natural sugar i.e. fruit, veg etc.

hooli

I am interested in this too. I tend to have the soup of the day from the canteen, a bit boring but healthy, warm and cheap.

Yesterdays veg soup had mince in it, think it may be time for a change 😯

Solo
    Free Member

Chips with donner meat is one of my fav meals, the evening before a ride. I’ve done some of my best rides on that shit.

Wouldn’t have the chilli sauce though. Ring O’fire, plus cyclilng doesn’t mix too well, I find.

binners

warton
    Free Member

I’ve started to soak dried pulses and use them in salads. cheap and healthy..

Yak

Anything leftover from last nights tea, spruced up with some salad, soy sauce, chilli sauce – whatever’s needed to make it a viable cold meal is good with me.

Failing that – black pudding scotch eggs. 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Hard boiled eggs, tuna, oat cakes

binners

Yak

Another one – is rice or wheat noodles, some thin cut raw veg like spring onions, cooked fish or other protein and then soy/chilli sauce. Only take 3-4mins to cook the noodles in boiled water, then mix up so viable in an office.

binners

Yak

binners

saxabar
    Free Member

Last night’s dinner or tuna salad here. Frozen beans and sweetcorn is useful too to bulk up salads. I keep a stack of pot noodles and potted porridge just in case.

MSP

I make a big tub of salad everyday, 1 chopped red peppar, handful of cherry tomatoes, some chopped up cucumber and a chopped up crisp heart lettuce, put it in a tupperware box with a capfull of olive oil and a capfull of balsamic vinegar and shake it up. Then change the protein content each day, today its chicken cooked in honey and mustard.

I generally make up a few salads in one go for the next few days. It is worth having plenty of tupperware boxes, then it isn’t a chore that needs doing every night.

Solo
    Free Member

😆 @ Binners.

Bombay Bad Boy
    STW forum member ?

DezB
    Free Member

Takes me 4 minutes* to prepare a salad for the next day every evening. Can’t understand why people spend so much on lunch every day when it’s so quick and easy!

*I know this because I put music on in the kitchen and it only ever takes 1 song!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Healthy food for office lunch – recommendations.’ is closed to new replies.