Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Healthier options for packed lunch at work
  • chubstr
    Free Member

As someone who is trying to change their ways, does anyone have any good ideas for healthier dinner/lunch options to take to work – trying to cut out processed microwave meals. Unfortunately due to building regulations we only have microwaves

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A good quality sandwich? Some fruit?

richmars

As above. Home made sandwich + fruit. You’ll save money as well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Rorschach
    Free Member

Savoury soups and rice.Asda do nice curry/chilli/spicy ones this time of year.Check the labels for salt content.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Soup, definitely.

PMK2060

Chickpea curry. The BBC food website has a good recipe which is quick and simple to make. I usually make a large batch to last several lunches. I don’t both with the rice.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Salad.

tomd
    Free Member

Over winter I usually make pots of veg soup of different kinds and take that to work. Have it with things like homemade sandwich, oat cakes, tinned fish or other leftovers. Homemade stews and curries also good. Sometimes I take in small tubs of veg, just chop up some carrots, brocolli or whatever to have on the side. They microwave in a couple of mins.

I ride quite a distance every day so salad isn’t going to cut it, plus lettuce is a waste of water and nutritionally pointless.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Left overs reheated

chubstr
    Free Member

Should have said, I work till midnight, 12 hour shifts, so lunch and dinner at work

MSP

I boil up some quinoa/couscous/bulgar wheat, with some finely chopped veg (peppers, onions etc) flavour it with some herbs and spices and a bit of vegetable stock. I usually make enough for 2 or 3 days and keep it in the fridge. Add protein ie chicken breast, boiled eggs or tuna ect.

It is a quite easy and simple routine, but you can vary the herbs and spices to make quite a variation to not get bored with it.

yunki
    Free Member

Salad can easily sustain a long commute if you get out of the mndset that salad is just lettuce..

I stick raw cauliflower in the food processor, red cabbage, carrots, courgette, beetroot, red onion..
    Add chopped tomatoes, peppers, celery, cucumber.. Some chickpeas, tuna, chicken, nuts and seeds, apple, pineapple to your salad leaves (I prefer dark green stuff like rocket and fresh spinach)

You can construct some immensely substantial bowls of food using any combination of this stuff..
    Add cooked spuds, rice, pasta or quinoa if you prefer a carb hit..

Plus all the above suggestions of leftovers, curries and stews if you’re craving stodge.. All very easy to cook from scratch

trail_rat
    Free Member

Baked tatties reheated in the micro are fiiine. Esp if you have got the outside nice and crunchy in the oven before you coooled em.

Baked tattie beans and a tin of tuna is ace.

Kuco

Wholemeal past or brown rice with tuna,salmon,chicken with veg.

myti
    Free Member

I discovered a really healthy and different lunch snack in a shop when holidaying in Oz over Christmas. It’s kind of like a spring roll but raw. Rice paper wrap softened in water for a few seconds, fill with any finely sliced vegetables and if you want a layer of chicken, prawns or tuna etc. They came as 3 in takeaway containers. I’m going to do them as an alternative to sandwiches as I eat a lot of bread. Gonna try teriyaki chicken and sweet chilli prawn fillings plus carrot, spring onion and cucumber. The wrap has a pleasant soft slightly jellyish texture with a nice crunchy filling. Loads of these on pinterest including how to fold it up correctly.

MoreCashThanDash

Baked potatoes?

Microwavable rice works for me. Or porridge.

Ideally some protein to go with it to fill you up for longer.

steveoath
    Free Member

I’ve just bought and started using this.

Filling and tasty recipes.

johndoh
    Free Member

We’ve just bought a soup maker – I regularly make soups in the conventional way but this thing is great – much easier to get a really nice soup and much healthier than the salt and sugar filled options in tins.

The one I got will make the equivalent of four tins of soup.

Potato, red onion & leek for me today.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I’ve just started doing homemade pot noodle. Thinly sliced veg, vermicelli noodles I have found to be the best. Generally add a spoonful of curry paste, or soy sauce with lime. Great if you’ve had a roast the day before, as I add a few strips of chicken or beef to it.

yunki
    Free Member

It’s kind of like a spring roll but raw

Ha.. YES! 🙂
    We discovered these in the endless fresh sushi bars in NZ and as soon as we sourced a supply of the wraps we stopped eating sandwiches and replaced them with these..

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

If you do need to go with an easy microwave option occasionally, the Sainsbury’s Basics microwave meals are surprisingly free from processed crap, and any meat in them is British to boot.

lunge

Soup is my go to, I make a batch of 5 on a Sunday and that do me for a week. You can do the same with pasta dishes an rice too. Don’t rule out a sarny though, wholemeal bread, chicken or tuna, salad, job’s a goo ‘un.

jolmes
    Free Member

Having a week of sweet potatoes and salad. Normally use whats left over from the previous nights meal but I imagine working nights rules that out for you.

Sarnies are a go to, soups nice and easy, salads are quick and you can increase the quantity if its not filling, bulk it out with Pasta/Cous Cous/Bulgar wheat etc – loads of options much healthier than ping meals.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Healthier options for packed lunch at work’ is closed to new replies.