Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • HEALTH WARNING: This topic contains words written by ro.
  • ro
    Free Member

If we're to assume i can actually be arsed to write something on mtbing in Southeast Asia for Mr Chipps et al, what would interest you – other than pics of me face down in the dirt with a fractured limb or two?

Pics of a guy on a bike are simply pics of a guy on a bike, right? So that's just dull. And waxing lyrical about some random trail in Laos/Cambodia/VN is simply going to bore you rigid (and I know how wedded you are to your suspension forks).

So here's your chance for reader input. Tell me what you'd like to read. Details of techy routes? Pointers to good riding areas? Physiological issues re: riding in Asia? Tales of local mtbers? Overviews of the mtb community in SE Asia? Pics of unique bits of these lands from an mtb perspective? How-to-mtb-in-Asia-for-less-than-$20-a-day? How-to-make-ro-rich-by-mtbing-with-him-for-$200-a-day?

Go on. Share. You can do it if you try.

BTW, this is called 'hyping the article before it's even written / accepted for publication'.

wwaswas

there was at least one article in stw about a local 'scene' in SE Asia that involved a paperchase type ride a few years back (look in the archive).

my view – write about something that interests you and makes you passionate and then see what Chipps thinks. Unless you're a journalist (which I think you're not) anythign else is just going to sound stilted.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

my view – write about something that interests you and makes you passionate

I agree. If you're surrounded by great source material and nothing has sprung to mind to date then it's possible that it's never going to – it's possible that you've just not got it in you.

It's also often the case that it's not what you write about but how you write about it that's important. It might be useful to look at your writing style and actual published writers (not bloggers and other 'self-published' authors) and think, "Hmm, what makes them so successful and makes me so unpopular?" Because, to be blunt, on the evidence thus far, I can't imagine many people wanting to read what you write and so can't really see any editor being interested.

ro
    Free Member

i think if my writing style here was indicative of how i normally write no-one would ever publish me. and they already have. 🙂

but your points are valid. however, as we've already established, what interests me isn't necessarily of interest to you. like, do you really need to know how much to bribe the rangers to let you ride the downhill trail from the ridge on con dao? even if the views over the islands are to die for and the monkeys throw twigs at you on the way down? nope, i thought not.

perhaps there is nothing out here of interest to readers of singletrack. i'm starting to think that this project, like its predecessor, may be best left to sleep quietly in the darkest recesses of my little brain. ah well…

bobbyspangles

write about asian bike mechanics/shops.

Pook

Would you write in this self referential, narcissistic way in your articles?

Beagleboy

but your points are valid. however, as we've already established, what interests me isn't necessarily of interest to you. like, do you really need to know how much to bribe the rangers to let you ride the downhill trail from the ridge on con dao? even if the views over the islands are to die for and the monkeys throw twigs at you on the way down? nope, i thought not.

I would read that and enjoy it. As I've said countless times before, for me STW magazine is about the diverse cycling scene and about being a part of that scene. If I want to read bike reviews or 'how to ride a bike' articles, I'll go elsewhere.

My all-time favourite STW magazine article was in the 2nd issue I think and was about getting mucky. Not about what bike the author was on, or where he was riding, or what kit. Just the sheer pleasure of being a middle-aged bloke who still enjoys getting covered in mud, then does a detour so they can parade themselves down the local highstreet, proudly showing off their afternoon's 'badge of honour'. Simply superb and memorable, because I'm guilty of the same.

If it was me, I'd write about all the things that make you smile when on your bike, and makes your experiences unique from mine. I'd read that.

B.

ro
    Free Member

🙂

probably not. but if you'd like me to…

yunki
    Free Member

do you really need to know how much to bribe the rangers to let you ride the downhill trail from the ridge on con dao? even if the views over the islands are to die for and the monkeys throw twigs at you on the way down? nope, i thought not.

Now I'm not your most loyal fan.. and we already know that I'm not as impressed by your writings as you are.. but I would hazard a guess that a more in depth look at the situation described in the little passage above would make slightly more interesting reading than the majority of your posts on this forum..

real adventure cycling.. exotic experiences.. encounters with bandits.. dangerous flora and fauna.. bribes and bag-snatches.. sex, drugs and sausage rolls? dust and drama and daring in Danang.

What could your nom de plume be I wonder…

wwaswas

perhaps there is nothing out here of interest to readers of singletrack.

perhaps there's something you could use your writing skills to make intersting?

most of the stw writing is about how people feel about riding, not about where they ride. To that extent, paying bribes etc is irrelevant.

How the descent (or climb) after you've paid the bribe makes you feel inside is important and how what you're feelign is influenced by riding in an environment that not many of us see is of interest. If you could articulate that then I'd read it.

Pook

";)"

nickegg
    Free Member

Why are you asking us what we'd like to read?

Thats the job of the editor surely? You're supposed to write what you're passionate about and submit that, instead of trolling on here.

You clearly think we're all obsessed with the need for the latest technology bike-wise so how about writing an article that backs up your views or opinions?

big_scot_nanny

For me, and of course many people's MMV, riding is only part of the equation. So yes, it would be great to know the idiosyncrasies of riding in Asia, some of the specific 'how to's' of someone were planning a trip.

I think your tactics on here ro are excellent, you inject challenge and edge, strong opinion, push people to not just accept the norms. In fact, if I was smarter I might even suspect you were a bit of ST 'plant' to keep the whole forum from going a bit 'what disc brake' or 'which trail centre' (which are also excellent and valuable topics, and ones to which I contribute also i might add!).

Anyhoo, on your article, more importantly, someone said it above: what is it about riding in SE Asia that really gets your juices? That is the only thing I want to read! And I would want to read that. If you can define that for yourself, then write your article to make sure that comes across.

Nice!

Kev

PS anyone want to read an article about underskilled overweight men riding hard tail 29ers in NW Switzerland?

nickegg
    Free Member

Yes i would big_scot…but then i am Swiss!!

yunki
    Free Member

+1 for ro being an STW plant

JEngledow
    Free Member

So far you seem to be all mouth and no trousers, you do alot of talking and hyping yourself up, but thus far we've seen little evidence that you've done anything other than wasting your time trolling on a mtb forum.

Please prove me wrong and write a blinder, but stop talking about it and just get on and do it.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Is it just me or is ro the most annoying **** of the week/month/year??

Pierre

What I'd like to read is something interesting, engaging and different. Something that the writer had the creativity and initiative to come up with himself. Something that didn't read like it was written by someone who's so desperate for attention that he needs to ask an Internet forum which hand he should use to wipe his arse.

: P

bigyinn
    Free Member

You missed out 'EVER'.

mrvear
    Free Member

scottyjohn, its not just you. Lets hope he can't be "arsed" rather than assume that he can be.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

ro, your article sounds like it might be more suited to the likes of Cycling Plus, although I think they covered Vietnam touring last year.

Why not write about the Laos cycling federation that you seem to have close links with, and the difficulty that the riders have in kit, training etc?

MrKmkII
    Free Member

words by ro, huh? i shan't bother reading then. but here's that attention you so desperately crave! 😆

Gary_M
    Free Member

I've been thinking about cancelling my subs for some time, an article in the mag written by this character would seal the deal.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

So ro, I gather you are in "Marketing"? As in – "find out what people want and then give it to them" presumably. At least, that's what your idea of "writing" seems to be.

How about writing something that interests others because of a) it's style or b) the subject or even c) the personality behind the pen?

Or maybe just stick to "marketing"… 😥

ro
    Free Member

mr woppit:

that's the best username E-V-E-R. i may use it elsewhere 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Pft

ro
    Free Member

let's see if i've read you correctly…

on the negative side: almost everyone will read the article. a significant proportion will bitch like girlies about its content / style / punctuation. subscribers will cancel their subscriptions in droves. chipps will be mortified and end it all by slashing his wrists with the sharp edge of a brake disc. sfb will wonder if the words mean anything. 37 random individuals will call me a 'marketeer'. one doctor will display his appalling attitude yet again. people will continue to puzzle about what 'ro' is short for. tourist numbers from the uk to southeast asia will slump dramatically. mountain biking will be viewed by the public as 'the sport of morons'. the universe will implode.

on the positive side: two people will write saying they enjoyed it. i'll have fun writing it.

i shall start my first draft tomorrow 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I'll alert the media.

alex222
    Free Member

you are the lamest stw member. not funny, not annoying just lame.

wwaswas

despite wanting to believe you were genuine in your intentions about writing an article ro I find myself agreeing with alex222.

It's almost like you can't bring yourself to be nice to people for more than an hour at a time even if you're the only one that loses out as a result.

It's all a bit sad really.

On the plus side, maybe you'll find another forum where your approach is welcome.

JEngledow
    Free Member

alex222, well said (typed) 😆

fivelittlefish
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member
    So ro, I gather you are in "Marketing"? As in – "find out what people want and then give it to them" presumably. At least, that's what your idea of "writing" seems to be.

Excellent. Spot on – But you left out "find out what people want as cheaply as possible and then implement it, as long as it coincides with what you, as a "marketeer" want to do. Then blame the creative department when it goes wrong"

antigee

not sure what best topic would be or how to go about it but i'd suggest spending a lot (an awful lot of time) on research and writing – why stop at one article why not write several?

PS i'd just send them in for publication don't bother telling us on here then it'll be more of a surprise

ro
    Free Member

i don't want to surprise anyone. i want months of threats to leave the sport forever if singletrack print one solitary word writ by my fair hand.

i like the drama. i suspect you've guessed this already 🙂

JEngledow
    Free Member

like the drama. i suspect you've guessed this already

What drama? You seem to have over hyped yourself and now I’m feeling disappointed and a little let down by your empty promises and dull BS, I think you may have peaked too early 😥

hora
    Free Member

ro are you overseas at the moment and are you drinking alot (currently)?

Gary_M
    Free Member

i like the drama. i suspect you've guessed this already

You've blown this out of all proportion. There is no drama, there is a sad man on the internet desperately seeking attention. Folk dip in now and again to see the slow motion train crash.

ro
    Free Member

the vodka is purely medicinal. and i thought we'd agreed i was living in a bedsit in wapping?

yunno what? i think we're going to have a 'ro's day in pictures' post, just so you can see how truly pathetic and morose my life is. a train wreck with pictures!

yes, that's a plan. how about sunday? where do i sign up for picture hosting?

khani
    Free Member

photobucket is free

stir it up 😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘HEALTH WARNING: This topic contains words written by ro.’ is closed to new replies.