Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Health & safety at work – being outside
  • Euro
    Free Member

Is it not common sense to slide on ice? People fall on it because they try to walk. That’s a bit daft. Induce a slide and you are in control – making it really hard to slip. It’s far faster than tip-toeing about too. That’s some top drawer H&S right there.

poly
    Free Member

she’s probably better off working from home for the day.

Since here job involved driving a ‘van’ I’d guess there’s not much to do from home… …quite possible that she is doing some sort of home help / meals on wheels / elderly care in which case of course there is the ‘risk’ to the employee (who will presumably manage to get to the shops etc to get her own message) versus the risk to vulnerable people left with no care…

On point 1, I’m quite able to open mine to put rubbish in…

sorry I wrongly assumed you were all going on about the weather down south… I thought the next ice age was coming. When its properly cold up here it takes a kettle of water to get into your bin.

On point 2, refuse collection has long been out sourced, so they’re not generic council workers who can be redeployed.

mmm… possibly ours were reabsorbed a few years back and are now council workers again. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if the waste contractor also gets involved in other bits (probably charge the council twice for the same people!).

joao3v16
    Free Member

H&S is basically ‘common sense’ written down, because some people are eejits and think they know it all and get hurt!

Almost …

H&S is basically ‘common sense’ written down, because some people are eejits and need someone else to blame when they hurt themselves so that they can get some free money.

Most of H&S is utter OTT nonsense.

At work, I’m permitted to use numerous flights of stairs with no assistance or special training, but I’m not supposed to carry a PC monitor 6 feet to another desk in case I kill dozens of colleagues and myself in the process.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

We all seem to be missing the point here, seems to me simmy’s mum is a Yodel driver. Get her!!

tthew

From up there^

mitigating the exposure to that accident happening is down to us,

Not when you’re at work. It’s down to the employer then. It’s down to the employee to follow the health and safety related instructions given, (amongst other things).

konabunny
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Anyone of you ranters stop to think about why we have H&S legislation?
    POSTED 4 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Ooh, I know the answer. It’s Europe and Scargill, isn’t it?

konabunny
    Free Member

I’m not supposed to carry a PC monitor 6 feet to another desk in case I kill dozens of colleagues and myself in the process.

I dare you to post up the actual policy. I bet that’s neither the reason not the rule.

Sandwich

cumbersome H&S practices result in lower premiums

Yes in the early 00’s the bakeries group the mills, I worked for, had a hideously large liability premium. A vast amount of H&S work and management later (about 2 years worth) saw that reduced by half and 5% on their bottom line.

Done properly H&S saves money and empowers employees (especially the health bit)..

zokes
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Hang on – what common sense should she be using here?

Should she NOT be walking cos it’s icy, or should she be walking anyway cos.. what.. it’s common sense to walk on ice? Or should she ask her employer for some shoe covers? Which of these is common sense?

If you have to ask, then you’re one of the many lacking in what has recently been re-branded as rare sense (TM)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Most of H&S is utter OTT nonsense.

No, it’s not. It’s put in place for people like you who think it is though.

It gets a bad name when it’s poorly applied by ‘little Hitlers’ or those that don’t understand.

Anybody care to hazard a guess as to what are the most common accidents at work?

Done properly H&S saves money and empowers employees

Correct 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

Anybody care to hazard a guess as to what are the most common accidents at work?

Is it slipping on a banana skin?

jota180
    Free Member

Getting hit with a plank when someone [carrying one on his shoulder] turns around without looking?

allthepies
    Free Member

Is it where a bloke is carrying a wooden plank on his shoulder, is called by a workmate, turns around and hits another workmate in the head with the plank ?

Edit: Curse you jota! 😉

jota180
    Free Member

Is it something to do with saw blades and fork-lift trucks?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-oomS4awqY[/video]

zokes
    Free Member

It probably involves the stairs

brakes
    Free Member

is it when you’re in the stationery cupboard and your tallywhacker gets caught in your flies?

yossarian
    Free Member

bad aids from swans – trust me I’m an expert

scaredypants

it’s rebound injuries from folk pooing off scaffolding – or crapnel wounds as they’re known in the HSE

konabunny
    Free Member

Scalding from hot drinks

Picking up something the wrong way and doing your back in

Car collisions caused by tiredness

Drac

Is it eye strain from reading all the H&S notices?

unovolo
    Free Member

Accidentally stapling your foreskin to your eyelid whilst searching for a dropped contact lense?

spooky_b329

Cambridge City seems to have suspended rubbish collection due to the very small amount of snow we now have.

Yep, really sensible to send a 25 ton bin lorry around untreated streets, especially when it needs to keep stopping! Probably the largest vehicle that routinely uses untreated roads…worth the cost of one squashed ped/cyclist or even car?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkJO0SCFQLg[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsoMazWfH6w[/video]

jonba
    Free Member

should have fitted winter tyres.

falls or manual handling?

djglover
    Free Member

Look, no one ever got hurt by OTT H&S protocol did they, but they did without it 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Health & safety at work – being outside’ is closed to new replies.