Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Health kick… what are your go to foods
  • swainy90
    Free Member

Another health kick but hopefully can keep at it this time. Majority of the time I eat very healthy it’s just the snacking throughout the day where I struggle. Wondering what your best snack food is also healthy food that you would not miss out of you daily routine

myti
    Free Member

Smoked mackerel salad with seeds and few spuds for a big filling evening meal. Big healthy meals so you don’t need to snack. Cottage cheese on Rye or whole meal sourdough also very healthy and filling.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Fat free or very low fat yoghurt with frozen rasberries, cracker bread or wholemeal bread with organic peanut butter and half a banana on top, glass of milk and a small handful or nuts and seeds. Fruit etc

Edukator
    Free Member

Apples

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Pork scratchings for the win.

bitasuite
    Free Member

Nuts from Lidl
    Meridian nut butter smeared on fruit
    Grapes
    Tinned fish
    Overnight oats
    Coffee!

martinhutch

Chickpeas. No idea why, presumably because they taste bland enough to make me think it’s doing me good.

bikebouy
    Free Member

“Snack”…?

Don’t snack.

Or a handful of peanuts, a banana and 14 double espressos..

Does me fine and dandy.

Caher

I am lucky enough to be working from home at the moment so i eat healthily and swim at lunch and Cycle/ gym in the evening.
    The non commute time wasted is a great help.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I quite like Ryvita (Dark Rye my fave) – they are very dry so top with spicy salsa.

nickjb
    Free Member

Carrots. Great easy snack

lunge

Will power and a realisation that being hungry sometimes is OK. Unless you have underlying medical issues, you don’t need to snack, you’re choosing to. Choose not too instead, accept that you’ll get a bit hungry before main meals and you’re sorted. Oh and water, drink lots of water, it’s good for you and fills you up in a way.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ryvita..

Wow, that’s a 70’s throwback..

Must go on the list..

swainy90
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input guys. All fairly similar to my diet just struggling to shave the last few pounds. Does anyone go as far as when to eat carbs after training ect or is it a case of just train harder and over time the goals will appear…

swainy90
    Free Member

General consensus stop snacking

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m loving roast veg right now, just scoffing a big plate of lightly charred carrots, parnsips, turnip, chestnut mushrooms and brussel sprouts, covered in lashing of gravy! (veg and mushroom coated in lemon juice, rapeseed oil, and itailian herbs, salt pepper, brussels steamed separately. 30 mins to cook, mushrooms in for 15mins, turnip boiled for 5 mins before hand,) (butternut squash is great too, didn’t have any this time though.)

take away the oil and the gravy, probably the healthiest dish in the world? 😆

darrell
    Free Member

hummous on dark Rye Ryvita

teasel
    Free Member

I eat an entire broccoli (with some grated cheddar or just a bit of butter) most days. Around 500kcal of pistachios, too, for the snack bit – shelled so I can’t eat bloody great handfuls and gulp ’em down.

ton

boiled eggs
    tinned mackeral/sardines
    cold falalfal

beej

If you think you’re hungry, ask yourself if you are hungry enough to eat an apple.

If you aren’t, don’t have anything.

If you are, eat an apple.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Nuts, lots and lots of nuts and apples, boiled eggs is another go to mid morning filler.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s difficult at first, snacking and the “want to” element..

But it doesn’t take long to adjust to the feeling of hunger, those cramps and lack of blood sugar can be a proper sidetrack… there is no doubt we’ve all been through it at some point or indeed many times.

I can only speak from experience, my own, if you get the feeling you are starving then a handful of nuts … really salty ones (KP salt and vinegar large ones are tremendous) but don’t go eating the packet.. drink some very cold clear water with them.. don’t know why but really cold water after the salty taste staves off any feelings I have of hunger.. you’ll get used to the “emptiness” feeling over time if you persevere.. but you’ll have a small mental mountain to climb first and some anger issues 😆

Coffee staves off mid morning hunger for me, then nuts in the late afternoon. Supper tends to be just normal healthy stuff, but I sometimes work really late than I’ll eat Charlie Binghams pasta/meatballs and still feel hungry.. so I drink really cold water (often 50/50 with ice and water and let it melt) but I’m no Puritan, I drink beer at weekends, vodka and coke.. y’get the drift.

Jamie
    Free Member

Health kick just before Christmas?

Oof.

I quite like Ryvita (Dark Rye my fave) – they are very dry so top with spicy salsa.

Agree. Nice dunked in soft cheese (not too much of course). Decent amount of fibre in there as well.

slowoldman

Nuts and oranges.

chewkw
    Free Member

swainy90 – Member
    Wondering what your best snack food is also healthy food that you would not miss out of you daily routine

In rotation.
    1. Cofresh or Kohinoor – Bombay mix or similar.
    2. Pork scratchings – this will stop craving for food dead. You will not eat for a while.
    3. Porridge (not your traditional boil to death make it into glue sort of way …) – Mine is dessert style.

😀

scotroutes

Seriously reduce the carbs and you’ll feel fuller longer – so fewer snacks.

A small portion of assorted nuts makes a nice treat.

ahsat

Handful of almonds for me. Keep them in a big jar in the cupboard so I pick them up over the KitKat’s.

swainy90
    Free Member

Thanks a lot guys. To be honest for ease a simplicity I think nuts are a great one that I eat very little of. Definately on the shopping list. For no particular reason I seem to choose tea over coffee ( don’t know why I like them both). Would coffee be a better choice to increase weight loss or shall I just carry on with me Yorkshire

olddog

Nuts – but I bear in mind they are calorie dense so don’t mindlessly trough them down. Good peanut butter – the stuff that’s just peanuts.

Fruit – banana, apple and satsuma at this time if year.

Porridge for breakfast.

Merak

Pizza crunch, it’s all things to all men.

poolman
    Free Member

Flapjack here – just change the recipe each week or you get bored. My last batch has 2 mashed bananas in, makes it a bit doughy and taste of, well bananas.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Tea makes me feel really hungry, hence the 14 espresso I drink.. 😆

When not at work, or working from home, I drink loads of tea.. probably 1 an hour.. and I can guarantee 40 mins after finishing one I’m off for a piss and feel starving.. so I brew another… at work it’s coffee only and I feel a lot better, that and the cold water.. I’ve a coffee maker at home but only use it for breakfast.. I think I use the “going to get a coffee” at work an opportunity to stand up and go to the loo, get a coffee and think about the tasks in hand.. essentially I use that time as a distraction..
    I’d say try it, see how you feel about whether tea or coffee is “better” for you.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Bikebouy don’t take this the wrong way but 14 espressos a day is , um, how can I put this….

flap_jack
    Free Member

As scotroutes said. Cut the carbs and eat fatty foods until you’re full and you’ll stay full longer.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

simple chicken stew/casserole for me. Chicken, veg, stock cube, seasoning, tin of plum toms. To try and make it healthier, I just chuck everything into the stock rather than starting off with oil, onion & meat.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Health kick… what are your go to foods’ is closed to new replies.