Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Headtorch for trail running – what do you use?
  • iDave
    Free Member

I’m either running faster or my eyesight is getting worse – Alpkit no longer giving enough light for off-road runs. Whats the next best option, not wanting to spend much

thegreatape
    Free Member

Petzl Tikka xp2 is what I use.

Looks like you can get them for about £30 now.

snakebite
    Free Member

Run during daylight…? 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I walk.

stever
    Free Member

I’m in exactly the same boat. At the moment I’m using the Alpkit plus a cheap eBay Cree torch in my hand. Not as awkward as it sounds. I’d love Alpkit to do a 600 lumen headtorch for 30 quid.

wwaswas

I don’t do night running but I’d use my Lupine Piko if I did – they do a band mount for it.

So, maybe one of those or a Joystick type thing – light, plenty of light, available for bike use etc.

kennyp
    Free Member

My Ay-Up bike lights come with a headband so they can be used for running too.

To be honest though, if you’re eyesight is going then off-road running at night maybe isn’t a great idea. Far too easy to twist an ankle.

iDave
    Free Member

I’m going with the advice here and will walk during the day

cardiff
    Free Member

Petzl Tikka here too, really wel made in my opinion, great battery life and good amount of lumens given off. I’ve actually used it a few times for night riding too, though I wouldn’t overly recomend it for this!

tragically1969
    Free Member

Petzl Myo XP

MSP

Petzl Tikka xp2 here too, In fact this has just reminded me to order the core battery pack for it. I also have a Petzl Myo XP, but find it too bright and bleaches out details, may also be due to the colour of the light.

Most of my night running is done on fireroads, so not usually a problem, but I do wonder if a second light source attached to my backpacks shoulder strap would help with depth perception when going on rocky trails.

seanoc
    Free Member

The Alpkit is pretty good mind.

I accidentally bought a DX one (900 lumen) for £30 on eBay; it’s good but the beam pattern is annoying for running.

convert

In a similar position – my Petzl Myo XP is ok but I can’t see as much as I’d like to “run at will”.

LED Lenser H7 seems to be the running headtorch de jour (or should I say nuit). They do a bigger one (H14) but it might be a bit big and heavy for running without flopping around.

MrSparkle

I use my Hope vision 2 bike light on it’s headstrap but that’s too pricey so a couple of people at our running club use thre Dealextreme Magicshine stylee ones. Got on for my lad to use on the bike and last night the missus used it for a headtorch run. Bob on. Mine was £40 s/hand.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Fennix HP10

Edit/ Oh, sorry, didn’t spot the must not cost too much.

Ewan
    Free Member

DX 900Lm bike light mounted on the DX head torch strap – as good as daylight…

29erKeith
    Free Member

Personally I use Ay-Ups but my mate that I run with every weeks’s just bought one of those Lenser H7’s, Bloody Brilliant!!

Cheap (£40ish), Lite, Bright and runs plenty long enough for all but Ultra distances. It’s got adjusters for the beam pattern and power.

I’m thinking I’l buy one myself as my Petzl Myo spare has packed in after years and my Ay-Up’s will be going for an upgrade in the New year

nosemineb
    Free Member

Just bought the hope r4 for bike and running duties. Happy so far 😀
    Expensive but then i only have the 1 set for both activities.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve got a Hope thingamy… adventure?

MUCH brighter than an alpkit gamma, but it does need 4AA’s, and it’ll eat them in a few hours on high.

the battery pack does bounce around a bit, but i can’t run offroad in the dim glow of anything else.

thegreatape
    Free Member

They do a bigger one (H14) but it might be a bit big and heavy for running without flopping around.

I also have one of those. Overkill for running and as you say too big/heavy.

MSP

i’ve got a Hope thingamy… adventure?

I looked at getting one of those for trail running and as a helmet light, decided against it as I would prefer to drop the battery pack in a jersey pocket or backpack, they should have added a connector into the middle of the cable to allow an extension, ruins the light IMO without that feature.

edit: actually if trout or some other tech geek could advise on connectors and cable for doing so, I would probably go for one now.

Keva
    Free Member

Petzl Myo XP here too, but not this winter 🙁 it’ll be spring time before I’m running again.

Kev

Jamie
    Free Member

Must be your eyes, Dave.

Do you have the older or newer, brighter, Gamma?

chugg08

Trouble with a single LED is that you lose depth and end up tripping over rocks and ruts (or I do…)

I use a Black Diamond Spot headtorch and carry a small maglight in my hand. The two of them shining at different angles plus the colour differences (halogen vs LED) mean I get better depth perception. Maybe just me though…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Headtorch for trail running – what do you use?’ is closed to new replies.