Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Headsets – Different brand cups top and bottom
  • dmorts

I’ve got to sort out a headset for a frame. It’s zero stack 1″1/8 at the top and conventional 1.5″ external at the bottom. I’m doing it on a budget. It looks like the best value way to do this and reuse some bits I have and end up with Hope at the top and Cane Creek at the bottom.

As far as I can make out this should be fine. Am I ok to have different brand top and bottom cups?

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

Yes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If it’s a cane creek forty at the bottom, I’d think again tbh. I have one on my spectral, bearing life is very poor.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    qwerty
    Free Member

If you have the option, put the higher quality one at the bottom as that’s the one that gets all the abuse.

dmorts

If it’s a cane creek forty at the bottom, I’d think again tbh. I have one on my spectral, bearing life is very poor.

That is what I was looking at 🙁 Although the bike will not be subject to high usage so this might be ok.

Overall I’ve found the potential cost of the headset eye-watering!

I’m looking for ZS44/28.6 top and EC44/40 bottom. In terms of what I have, I’ve got a Hope cup (nothing else, no bearings, seals etc.) for the top. I thought I could buy a second hand Hope conventional headset and reuse some of the bits, then resell the rest.

For the bottom cup, Cane Creek 40 is an option but will look at others

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Headsets – Different brand cups top and bottom’ is closed to new replies.