Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Headset/Fork help – Tapered headtube – 1 1/8th fok
  • albino
    Free Member

After wasting the best part of today’s sunny afternoon in the garage, instead of out riding, I have to admit defeat and ask for help.

I’m fitting Magura 1 1/8th forks to a bike with a tapered headtube using a Hope adapter 1.5 steerer converter. I’ve done plenty of headsets before with no problems but I can’t seem to eliminate play in the forks. I’m guessing I’ve either done something stupid in the set up or I’ve missed a component out.

The set up is:
    Magura fork 11/8th – Hope lower steerer crown converter- Hope 1.5 crown race – bearings – lowercup.

Top cup – bearing – compresison ring – 2 shims – topcap outer seal – top cap into Hed doctor in steerer.

Whatever I do I’m still getting a lot of play in the forks. Everything tightened correctly/

Any help appreciated….even a beer in it if you’re local and your advice sorts it. 🙂

Scapegoat

Have you put the stem and spacers on yet?

albino
    Free Member

Yep – Havoc stem and 1 small (3mm?) spacer.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    moniex
    Free Member

I fitted some 11/8 steerer forks to my 2011 tapered orange 5 with hope headset, all I did was put on a 11/8 to 1.5 crown race. All was fine…..

Simone

scaredypants

Hard not to make this patronising. Apologies in advance:

you sure it’s the headset ? Fork bushings, loose brake calliper, pads moving a bit within the brake ?? Put a hand on the top/bottom of the headtube and confirmed that it’s definitely moving there

Definitely got the stem bolts loose when snugging up the head doctor ?

Scapegoat

Are you sure that there is a few mm of spacer or stem above teh steerer when you put the topcap on? The topcap has to push down on the spacer and loose stem to load the bearings. I discovered with my Hope headset that the steerer was flush, and so couldn’t take up all the slack.

albino
    Free Member

scaredypants – no worries – def play within the headset. I can grab/move the stem and fork stantion and clearly see and feel the movement .
    Stem bolts def loose when tightening the heddoc.

Scapegoat – Yep still got a small amount of spacer above them stem, (nothing below) – I’ve gone from a Cotic bFE to a Soul but I’ve had to lose a large spacer with the change – presumably due to the extra length taken up by the 1.5 stem converter.
    I’ll double check on this tomorrow but if it is the case then it could mean mean a new fork with longer steerer.

Moniex – Is that the same as the converter + 1.5 crown race – I’ve not seen a 11/8th to 1.5 crown race -although that would sort the steerer length issue.

andyl
    Free Member

My superstar headset (and others) have a crown race that fits a 1.125″ fork but fits into a 1.5″ bearing. I am guessing you have the hope adapter and then the crown race.

One possibility is the adapter bottoming out in the headset somewhere.

Have you tried with the spacer between the stem and top cap? And are you sure you have 3mm clearance at the top of the steerer and the top of the stem/top spacer and is the head doctor down far enough so the top cap isn’t bottoming out on the head doctor before the stem/top spacer?

albino
    Free Member

AndyL – All good points, (which I’m too inebriated to fully take on board right now). I’ll be up at the crack of noon to check/adjust.
    Cheers

Scapegoat

andyl – Member
    My superstar headset (and others) have a crown race that fits a 1.125″ fork but fits into a 1.5″ bearing. I am guessing you have the hope adapter and then the crown race.

One possibility is the adapter bottoming out in the headset somewhere.
    The Hope adapter looks like this: The inner piece is the adapter, which is seated on the standard steerer like a crown race, ie by using a crown race setter, then the split ring crown race simply drops down onto it.

Albino, you have hammered the adapter on properly haven’t you?

smiff
    Free Member

easy way to check you’re preloading it right is to try turning the spacers underneath the stem. if they turn, it just ain’t tight enough.

Hope recent D and F cups don’t work like that, they have a normal size split crown and a small bearing, the adapter is the cup itself. dunno what headtube your bike has though!

albino
    Free Member

Hi all – Thanks for the help. ‘Tis now sorted. I dropped the hed doctor down a tad more into the steerer and went for the next size spacer and all is now fine.
    I think I was so convinced that it was an issue with the Hope adaptor, (same as Scapegoat’s picture), that I avoided double checking some of the basics….
    Will have to fit in a quick nightride tonight after missing the good weather at the weekend.
    Thansk again

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Headset/Fork help – Tapered headtube – 1 1/8th fok’ is closed to new replies.