Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • headset woes
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

The good news…my new Enduro expert frame turned up today 🙂

The bad news…the headset it came with came in a bag with no instructions. Its an integrated type which doesn’t look like any of the ones on sale on Chain reaction, so tracking down instructions via the web isn’t easy. It has h2247a printed on it…

Am I right in thinking that there aren’t any bearing cups on this type of headset, ie nothing to press in and the bearings sit directly in the frame?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Is it a modern one with the taper headtube and a curved surface inside it at the top ?
    If yes then the bearings just fit into the frame like any integrated headset

tpbiker
    Free Member

Yep, new frame with curved surface inside

The trouble is it appears to have to many bits, it comes with 2 bearings, 2 bearing races, the top bearing cover and another what looks like another bearing race…only much bigger!

confused!

mintimperial

what looks like another bearing race

Alternative-sized crown race for a different sized steerer perhaps?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Might be best to post a pic of the bits you have.
    My last fsr had a large silver ring with a split in it that went
    Inside the bottom of the frame above the bearing

shortcut

You need to measure the internal diameters of the top and bottom of the head tube. Then look it up with Chris King, Hope or elsewhere to determine what headset you need. Details are probably on the Spesh site too!’

Just because it is tapered doesnt mean they are all the same!!

Brianblessed
    Free Member

i think the top bearing is pretty standard ut the bottom one is their own design. it seems to fit quite deep into the head tube. just try it in there, you’ll figure it out 🙂

tpbiker
    Free Member

These are all the bits…lined up from left to right in the order I reckon they fit together..the big one on the right is a bit of a mystery

here it is closer up…

and here is the frame…

Only thing to add is that I’ll be using a hope reducer race as my fork is 1 1/8th, which I assume will take the place of the object ‘second from the right’ when I bung it all together?

andyl
    Free Member

Can you get any worse photos? 😆 edit they look better now 😀

Looks like you have the order pretty much right but yes the large part at the end is odd and the part before it looks like the crown race.

Which one of the last 2 parts fit in the bottom bearing the best?

Could it be a 2 part crown race with one being for 1/8th and the other put on top of the 1/8th one or just fitted to a tapered fork?

Or if both the same diameter maybe the thick one is just to give extra height in case your fork crown knobs hit the frame – as can happen on some forks with integrated or semi integrated headsets.

In which case you would use one or the other. Like the CK or Hope +3 or +5 crown races.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Yeah..my photos are shit…should have spent less on a frame I can’t even stick together and more on a decent camera 🙂

I reckon the mystery bit on the far right goes into the bottom of the headtube, then the bearing sits below that….seems to all fit together nicely, although there doesn’t appear to be a similar contraption at the top..ie the bearing sits flush against the frame.

I reckon a trip to the local bike shop might be the order of the day!

shortcut

From left to right you are pretty much sorted top to bottom.

Take furthest right and move left two items – it should go in the frame before the lower ball race.

Easy!

andyl
    Free Member

ahh that makes sense ^. The cup in the bottom is very deep.

sportsmatch
    Free Member

Putting h2247a headset in the search engine comes up FSA headset try looking on FSA site

Gary

samuelmead
    Free Member

Sorry to dig out an old post but I have the same headset and will be using a 1 1/8 straight steerer.

I’ll be using a hope reducer race as my fork is 1 1/8th, w

How did the hope reducer race work?
    Cheers Sam

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘headset woes’ is closed to new replies.