• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Tim.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Headset torque settings – advice needed asap
  • haddock
    Free Member

Torque setting for the followin headsets please, found now’t on the manufactures web sites,

Ritchey semi integrated – dont know type but OE on xc bike

FSA acb semi integrated – again OE on xc bike,

and

FSA Orbit Extreme pro.

uplink
    Free Member

Just take the play out

thomthumb
    Free Member

need to do it until there is no play.

torque wrench not required imo

PJ266
    Free Member

Err, torque settings? do em up til theres no play and they still spin smoothly!!

haddock
    Free Member

Yes but i’m a heavy handed ape who owns a torque wrench – they always seem to loose to me! 😳

uplink
    Free Member

If you pop the bike on the back wheel & hold it on the back brake, turn the bars in-line with the top tube.
    You will easily feel any play in the headset

When you’ve eliminated it all, bounce the bike up & down a bit & check it again

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I find it easier to spin the allen key with one finger till its tight (not tight, just untill it comes to a stop) then back off 1/16 to 1/8 of a turn.

No Torq wrench will ever go that low, its barely a fraction of finger tight!!

brakes
    Free Member

there are too many parts to take into account that aren’t part of the headset to give useful torque settings
    trial and error – just do them up until there’s no play

haddock
    Free Member

Done it up finger tight, Eastons web site reckons 1.6NM as a guide when manufacturer hasn’t given a figure – pretty slack!

jfeb
    Free Member

As above – do it up until there is no knocking when holding the front brake on and rocking the bike backwards and forwards, at the same time as making sure the front wheel turns smoothly and easily.

If it isn’t tight enough you should notice it while using the front brake riding along.

glenh
    Free Member

What? Torque settings for a headset? lol

Virtually none. The bearings are not supposed to be under pressure.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

“The bearings are not supposed to be under pressure. “

technicaly wrong

your pre-loading them in a different direction to the way in which theyl handl most of their load (axialy as opposed to radialy) so the small ammount of load applied to them by the ehadset cap should be enough to stop them rattling when stressed the other way.

but yea, in real life, the torque is as good as none.

Tim
    Free Member

You do realise the slight knocking is probably your forks, not the headset 🙂

haddock
    Free Member

er… there is no slight knocking, its all fine. 😉

Tim
    Free Member

they always seem to loose to me!

no worries 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Headset torque settings – advice needed asap’ is closed to new replies.