Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Headset tools
  • Ponty

These days with modern quality headsets like HOPE its almost fit and forget, but recently I’ve been playing around with second hand frames from the classified, building up some bikes for the kids etc and its a faff taking them to the LBS so thought it time to invest in some headset tools

Think I need, a headset press, crown setting tool and crown remover? I’m not keen on using a DIY version and want some tidy tools.

Want something that covers 1 1/8 and 1.5 sizes, and will deal with integrated and semi integrated types

Suggestions and experiences please

Thanks

scotroutes

You can avoid the need for any “crown setting tool” and “crown remover tool” by using a small hacksaw to cut a gap in what is actually a headset baseplate. Some manufacturers supply them like this (e.g.Hope)

Ponty

Just looked it up on CRC. Thanks

tjagain

scotroutes – not if its an old skool loose bearing headset. then the crown race is actually the bearing surface and cutting it is a bad idea

scotroutes

Just to be clear; I would always suggest using the baseplate provided with the headset and cutting it if it isn’t already. The Hope one might fit others but the section that presses against the bearing has to be at the correct angle.

True TJ. I’m assuming that the OP is aware of the difference, especially if he is working on bikes for other people.

bencooper
    Free Member

I know this puts me in a minority on this forum, but cutting though a part to make it fit easier isn’t a brilliant idea – you wouldn’t do it with the cups 😉

TJ, this eBay auction might amuse you:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-L-1-1-8-30mm-Crown-Race-fit-Threaded-Ball-bearing-Headset-for-Brompton-3g-/292053457250

It’s aluminium too 😀

dhrider
    Free Member

I needed to change the headset in my frame and discovered alot of headset presses will not work with 56mm cups.

I ended up buying the Park Tool HHP3 which will press in all headset cups and pressfit bottom brackets aswell
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-headset-bmx-bb-bearing-cup-press-hhp3/rp-prod12326

I’d buy a proper cup removal tool aswell if you are changing headsets regularly as its safer than the screwdriver and hammer method!! 🙂

dovebiker

Cyclus headset press- cheaper alternative and workshop quality not that cheap, pressed metal Park Tool junk.
    Crown-setting tool? – just find a length of suitable pipe and if you get a large, flat-bladed screwdriver and grind-off the sharp side edges, it minimises the risk of gouging the headtube.

granny_ring

Crown Race Remover
    Cup Remover
    Star Nut Setter

And a proper headset press for sure, depending on your budget.
    I’ve now got a Park one but it’s around £130 but does all sizes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Headset tools’ is closed to new replies.