Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Headset – split crown race question
  • BigDummy
    Free Member

What (if any) are the disadvantages of a split crown race for a cartridge bearing headset?

It seems such a good idea from the point of view of the home fettler without precisely the right tool that I need telling there is a good reason not to have them. 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Can’t think of any

epicyclo

There’s a tiny gap that allows crap in. I plug it with grease. The bearing seals should stop crap getting further anyway, but pay it safe.

I think they are a great idea.

Aidy
    Free Member

I like them, annoys me that more headset manufacturers don’t do them

GaryLake
    Free Member

16 month old hope headset, serviced for the first time and barely needed anything doing – great idea split crown races!

clubber
    Free Member

I split crown races myself (hacksaw) if on a cartridge bearing headset – never had any problems.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Clubber, that is a simple but brilliant solution to the problem of my non-existent crown-race fitting tool. I am indebted to you. 🙂

Was it also you who suggested some while ago taking a hacksaw to the hose guides on an inbred frame? If so, thanks too for that plan. I am going to be busy later.

Aidy
    Free Member

I’d kinda been pondering doing that myself.
    Guess I will in future, it’ll save me a lot of effort 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

16 month old hope headset, serviced for the first time and barely needed anything doing – great idea split crown races!

How does a split crown race make sevicing easier?
    It doesn’t, does it?
    🙂

clubber
    Free Member

LOL – yeah, BD, that was me too. Useful tool, hacksaws 🙂

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I prefer a full crown race myself. Having a hol in one of the worst spots on a bike that mud ad crap gets seems a bad idea to me. I have jusy gt an FSA XL2 which has a split race and I wish it was just a normal one. I will be sticking a lizard skin cover on it I foun it my spres box though.

clubber
    Free Member

Very muddy round here where I ride and I’ve not noticed any difference in longevity of headsets with a split race. I do pack with plenty of grease though so that should act as a barrier.

AdamM
    Free Member

BigDummy, happy to lend you my crown race fitting tool if you’d like. It’s a very satisfying lump of metal to use. 🙂

It would also provide the opportunity for me to test ride your Big Dummy, given that we’ve only been talking about it on and (mostly) off for over a year!

GaryLake
    Free Member

How does a split crown race make sevicing easier?
    It doesn’t, does it?

Actually Pete, my point being was that in 16 months, a split crown race didn’t allow all sorts of crap into the headset so therefore doesn’t have that as a downside. Which seems to be the only theoretical downside to them. Read the post immediately before mine for some context.

When I recently changed my forks over, it took a simple and very gentle tap with a screw driver to remove and was replaced by hand.

So phnarrrr! 😛

druidh
    Free Member

Aidy – Member

I like them, annoys me that more headset manufacturers don’t do them

Cane Creek own the patent and no one else wants to pay them to use the design.

Aidy
    Free Member

Could have sworn a few other people did them, I know I’ve seen Hopes with them. And the Cane Creek C2 certainly doesn’t have one…

druidh
    Free Member

Aidy – Member

Could have sworn a few other people did them, I know I’ve seen Hopes with them. And the Cane Creek C2 certainly doesn’t have one…

FSA used to do them too, but Cane Creek started to play hardball.

Are you sure that’s a genuine C2?

takisawa2

I cant see why there needs to be a noticeable gap after they go on, surely they could machine them slightly o/s to allow for the width of the saw blade; & hence to close up to the correct dia once in place.
    They are a bonus though.

GaryLake
    Free Member

As mentioned my Hope has one..

DezB
    Free Member

WTB was the first I saw with one. Are you making stuff up Druidh?

jonathan
    Free Member

Cane Creek own the Aheadset patent – which is the split compression ring, not for a split crown race.

druidh
    Free Member

DezB – Member

WTB was the first I saw with one. Are you making stuff up Druidh?

jonathan – Member

Cane Creek own the Aheadset patent – which is the split compression ring, not for a split crown race.

My bad

clubber
    Free Member

And the patent is the reason that Shimano don’t make aheadsets I believe…

druidh
    Free Member

Looks like the patent expires next year anyway

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Headset – split crown race question’ is closed to new replies.