Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Headset spacer help please? Newbie alert!
  • bobbyg81
    Free Member

Ive just fitted new bars and a stem and the headset cap is sticking out about 2mm from the stem. Now I know I need to get spacer/s.

Is it safe to use with it sticking out that little bit or should I be patient and wait till i get spacers?

Also, can i use any 1 1/8th spacers or should they be the same as the current headset?

Totally daft questions I know but Ive never changed a stem myself before.

Cheers for any help.

druidh
    Free Member

If there aren’t any spacers, then you won’t have pre-loaded the headset bearings – i.e it’s not fitted properly, so don’t ride it.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

The headset was already fitted and there are spacers there already. All i done was unscrew the cap, take stem off, put new one one and the cap is sticking out a little. It’s because the new stem isnt as deep.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Get a 5mm spacer and place it under stem – that should do it

robbo
    Free Member

No don’t ride it. You will screw the headset as the bearings aren’t preloaded. Wait for your new headset but you might need some spacers as the stack heights might be different

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Cheers folks.

But is it safe to ride in the meantime?

druidh
    Free Member

No

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Thanks. Im going to have to put the old stem and bars on then. Thatll teach me!

druidh
    Free Member

Do you have another bike you could borrow the spacers from?

sambob
    Free Member

No. The forks won’t be tight against the headset and the headset bearings will be able to move around. It’ll feel horrible too. The insert in my star nut had come loose so it wasn’t tight, I couldn’t see or feel a gap when still, but i could hear it knocking when I was moving. Just wait or go down to your LBS, they should have some knocking around.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

On closer inspection and measuring the gap is 4mm. I looked on my old bike and there is only 1 spacer and it is only 2mm.

Ill try and get to my lbs to get a 5mm spacer. That would take it up to 25mm of spacers in total. I take it this will be ok. It feels just fine when Im on it height wise etc.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Oh and thank you all for the help. Much appreciated!

wwaswas

you can put spacers above the stem to drop it down a bit.

Some road bikes with carbon steerer forks have a ‘max’ for spacers etc but if it’s an mtb 25mm with an alloy steerer it should be fine.

khani
    Free Member

You can put the spacer on top of the stem if you don’t want to change the height, remember to preload the top bolt first before you tighten the stem bolts or you’ll kill your headset

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Thanks guys. When you say preload the headset do you just mean tighten the bolt first?

wwaswas
    khani
    Free Member

Its the Topcap bolt to preload the headset bearings, just nip it up til there’s no play (don’t crank it tight) and tighten up the stem bolts

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Cheers again. Thats what I did!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Headset spacer help please? Newbie alert!’ is closed to new replies.