Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Headset spacer
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Just picked up some forks and found that I misread the advert and they are spot on for fit without a spacer, but if I put a spacer in they wouldn’t be long enough on the steerer.

Can I run without a headset spacer or not? I could put a 1mm one in if it was necessary.

foxyrider
    Free Member

you don’t need to use a spacer if you don’t need one 🙂 a 1mm one would also be OK 🙂

wwaswas

only time a spacer is a *must* is on a road bike (just because) or if you have a carbon steerer (so that the stem clamp is properly on the steerer) and in both cases it goes above the stem.

foxyrider
    Free Member

and that WW 🙂

Xylene
    Free Member

Good stuff.

It has just enough room to lock it in place.

Excellent.

PJay
    Free Member

If the steer is that short I’d probably want to be sure that the top of the steerer was still above the top of the shaft of the topmost clamp bolt. Better safe than sorry in my option.

Xylene
    Free Member

It’s above the top most clamp, about 1mm below the top of the stem, so it’s not pulling down on the steerer tube but the top of the stem as it should.

PJay
    Free Member

Will 1mm give you enough space to preload the headset? I’d have though that you’d want a couple mm at least.

Xylene
    Free Member

Will 1mm give you enough space to preload the headset? I’d have though that you’d want a couple mm at least.

It’s about 3mm, not much more, it appears to be working ok.

Best way to test it out is to point it down hill and see what happens.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Twill be fine 🙂

Coleman
    Free Member

“only time a spacer is a *must* is on a road bike (just because) or if you have a carbon steerer (so that the stem clamp is properly on the steerer) and in both cases it goes above the stem.”

Why on earth would you need a spacer above the stem on a carbon steerer or road fork? As long as the top of the stem is 3mm above the steerer it will be fine. Spacers on top of stems are just so wrong!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Headset spacer’ is closed to new replies.