Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Headset rust on newish bike
  • muckytee
    Free Member

I finally got round to taking a look at my headset on my Genesis core 40, I had noticed a couple of months back that there was a grinding feeling when steering, but since the bike was purchased in the back end of September – I though nothing of it – wearing in maybe?.

But yeah, opened it up; crown race had rusted along with the caged bearings.

Just surprised on how fast my headset died, got one on order with sealed bearings from Hope. Would have thought a British designed bike would have faired a bit better against muck 🙁

martymac

first thing i would recommend on almost any new bike is to make sure the headset/pedals/hubs/BB and any pivot bearings actually have some grease in them.
    much cheaper than replacing any of the above.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

3 months of manky English weather? Headset on my Lapierre lasted less than a month – a couple of wet rides. It had no sealing to speak of at all.

People don’t tend to look for a quality headset when they buy a bike, so manufacturers tend to cut the budget in this area so they can spec better rear derailleur, chainset or whatever.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Headset rust on newish bike’ is closed to new replies.